• January 22, 2018, 05:08:01 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Help Using Inkscape / Re: Laser Cutting not working
« Last post by brynn on January 18, 2018, 05:29:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Could you give us a little more info?  Which extension or extensions are you using?  Which file format do you send to the cutter?  Although I know Inkscape very well, I don't know much about cutters.  So I'm not sure what "sending it to the cutter" means, exactly.  Do you just open the file which you made with Inkscape, from the cutter software?

If you would like to discuss this with developers, please find out how to do that in this message:  https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?topic=628.0

If you would like to make a bug report, you'll see links in that same message, about where to go and how to do it.

I probably can't help much, but if you'd like share a test SVG file, I can have a look.  Certainly you'll want to provide test files if you make a bug report.
Help Using Inkscape / Re: Circle with notches
« Last post by brynn on January 18, 2018, 05:08:08 AM »
Oh wow, it's bigger than I thought it would be (I never bothered to look up mm to inches, when we were working on the drawing).  Is it a lamp?  At that angle, the general shape reminds me of a butter churn.
Help Using Inkscape / Re: Need help on jpg to dxf conversion (for Lazycam).
« Last post by brynn on January 18, 2018, 04:51:41 AM »
Talk about a non-helpful reply!  Did you ask for clarification?  Had you submitted the files for them, or were they guessing?

Usually "3d" or "3D" refers to three dimensional.  Well, I can say that's not true for the Inkscape file.  At least not the SVG you showed me.

DXF version 12??  Oh ok.  When you exported the DXF, there's a dialog titled Desktop Cutting Plotter.  The Help tab of that gives you some info about DXF.  It looks like Inkscape version 0.92.2, is only exporting DXF 14.  Actually I don't remember if I ever asked which version of Inkscape you're using.  But you can probably downgrade to an older version, to get DXF 12.

There's a little bit of info about exporting DXF file on this manual page http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/File-Export.html

I'm going to guess that Inkscape 0.91 will offer the right kind of DXF.  But if it doesn't, try 0.48.  (Yeah, Inkscape skipped from 0.48 to 0.91.)  https://inkscape.org/en/release/

As for the 3d comment, I'd ask for clarification.  Exactly what did they see in the file which made them think it was a 3d image.  Hhmm, I wonder if the DXF conversion might have created something that makes it look like 3d?  I wish I could open DXF files.....

(Hhm, you posted this on the 11th?  I wonder how I missed it?  I'm on the site almost every day, usually a few times a day.  Strange....  Well, I hope you got your work done on time.  I'll still post this, just in case.)
Help Using Inkscape / Laser Cutting not working
« Last post by Horde on January 17, 2018, 12:24:36 PM »
We have a Trotec 300 Laser at the school and we use Inkscape 92.2.
In order to get the laser to cut, we need to send each job to the laser twice.  The first time the cut job shows up as an "Empty_Job", sending it again, without making any changes allows it to cut.  If we have a job that requires cutting and engraving, we also need to send it twice or it will only do the engraving.
Autocad 2018 and CorelDraw don't have the same issue.
I should also say that the job isn't that complicated, a simple two inch square with a circle cut out of the middle with text under the circle.
Help Using Inkscape / Re: Circle with notches
« Last post by gamanet on January 17, 2018, 03:51:09 AM »
Hi brynn!

I´ve attached a picture of the end-product.

I´m happy with it, particular because it was my first try... Thank you very much for pushing me to the right direction.

Best regards,
MatthiasIMG_20180114_193041.jpg
*IMG_20180114_193041.jpg
(2411.43 kB . 2976x3968)
(viewed 28 times)
Inkscape Tutorials - Intermediate / Re: Change Simplification Threshold
« Last post by brynn on January 14, 2018, 01:28:28 AM »
See my comments in your other topic.  Even changing the threshold, with Inkscape, I don't think Simplify will be a good solution.  But I did find what I would consider a good solution, depenging on how you'll be using it.  Cuts the number of nodes by more than half.
I don't think there's much I can add here.  I don't use, or know much about cutters.  I just know Inkscape.  I'm not even sure which part of your question Heather is referring to, in the following.

I don't know anything about the rest of your question, maybe Brynn will.

But if you can clarify which problems are left, I'll be glad to try.

I had a look at your file.  (Let me guess....you're either in California, or your working for someone there, right?) :wink1:  Anyway, I don't see any immediate problems with it.  Was the Simplify which you and Heather were talking about in Inkscape, or in the cutter software?  If it was in Inkscape, I suspect you did not get good results, and I would probably suggest undoing it.  It would significantly distort the paths. 

I should also say that I'm looking at the SVG file.  I'm unable to open DXF files. (I never have figured out why, or how to fix it.)  So if the problem is not showing in the SVG, then I can't help.

There are a number of places where you could go through and manually delete some nodes.  Maybe get rid of a couple hundred nodes.  But would be a lot of work for not much improvement.

The path is about a simplified as it can get, really.  The large number of nodes is because of how the image is drawn.  It's sort like a fern, with all the intricate detail.  If it doesn't matter so much to you, that is has the see-through, fern-like detail, then a different type of image will probably work much better for you.

It would take a lot of explaining, but I could tell you how to use that image, and make the leaflets solid, instead of see-through.  Theoretically, the number of nodes could be cut in half.  Or maybe I could come up with a simple way.  Let me know, and I'll try. 

Or if you didn't really notice about the see-through-ness, and you want to just find a similar image which is already filled in, that would help with the problems created by the large number of nodes.

Another option you could try is to export your artwork as a png file from Inkscape and trace in SS.  I haven't tried the trace in V4 so I don't know how well it works, but you could try it to see if you like the results better than the dxf version.

Interesting!  I didn't realize that some cutter software includes trace engines (or vector features like simplify either).  Heather, have you noticed (at least in earlier versions) that the trace engines in cutter software do a better job than Inkscape's Trace Bitmap?

Hhmmm....  Oh wow, I tried Heather's suggestion, but with Inkscape's Trace Bitmap, instead of cutter software (which I don't have).  It results in a little bit of distortion, but not nearly as much as Simplify.  Depending on how you're going to use it, I would find the results totally acceptable. And it reduces the nodes by more than half!

Another option you could try is to export your artwork as a png file from Inkscape and trace in SS.

I like the trace in V4 slightly better than V3. Still not the best but eh what can you do. I made a comment on that in the original on png trace settings

Threshold 50.00
Highpass 13.00
everything else left at 0

Seems to give the closest trace to the original image as it can for pretty much any png. Sill lose a bit of the sharpness and detail but it does in a pinch when you really need to get it cut out.   
You're welcome.  :-)

Another option you could try is to export your artwork as a png file from Inkscape and trace in SS.  I haven't tried the trace in V4 so I don't know how well it works, but you could try it to see if you like the results better than the dxf version.

The bad news is that curves in dxf files are ugly with excessive nodes and those excessive nodes are a problem for Silhouette Studio.  The good news is that the node simplification in the SS program is pretty decent (at least it was in earlier versions if they haven't messed it up in V4).  Use the node tool to select your artwork, then use the Simplify button to reduce the nodes.

THANK YOU. That did help out a bit on the simplify in SS... Sadly I lose a bit in the curves (makes them a bit to straight) not too noticeable at a glance (well to me it is.. even more so in a side by side sketch but im picky.. its a problem haha). I did not noticed All the nodes it had (2770 of them :-$).. Which may explain why its so slow and buggy. It was even causing SS to not respond for minuets at a time while it was trying to figure out what in the world to do with it. I Guess I just have to Watch what I make in Inkscape from now on a little ( ok ok.. a lot) more closely. Thank you again
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10