• June 28, 2017, 06:21:56 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Welcome #2  (Read 1212 times)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 53.0 Firefox 53.0
    • Inkscape Community
Welcome #2
« on: June 04, 2017, 01:08:20 AM »
Hi Friends,
To those of you who are new to this forum:  Welcome!

It seems that the technology around the various many cutting technologies has changed a lot over the last several years.  This forum was originally started to help people use Inkscape with the home/craft type of cutters (cutting paper, cardboard, or sometimes vinyl).  Most of the first cutters on the market provided software with very limited capabilities, and this forum was started to help people learn how to use Inkscape with them. 

Although I've heard there is at least one brand of cutter which still does need Inkscape, as the years have passed, most of those manufacturers have finally improved their own software, and Inkscape is not needed as much.  I suspect a lot of those "old" users still prefer Inkscape, but probably they don't need as much help as when they first started. 

So a couple of years ago, activity in this forum was dwindling, and the original owner was ready to move on.  But when other members voiced their wish to keep this forum open (because of all the great tutorials) and I had space available, I offered to adopt it.  Since that move, activity has still been low.  But in the last several weeks, we've seen requests for support from users of different types of cutting machines and technology.

What we've seen recently, are people posting who need help, primarily, with Inkscape's Gcode tools extensions, for use with CNC.  But Inkscape is capable of all kinds of different cutting support -- HPGL, DXF, PLT, and maybe some formats I haven't learned about yet.  So it's possible we'll be seeing even more support requests.

But you can see the problem here.  Most members from the original forum will not know how to help these new member.  As the new owner/admin, I'm entirely willing to see this forum grow, even in a slightly different direction.  I love learning new things myself.  And as long as the focus is on Inkscape, I'm happy to go there  :)

But we'll need some members who know how to use these Inkscape tools.  So if we can manage to help solve your problems, please consider checking back in from time to time, to help others, and to help build a reservoir of knowledge on these topics, in this forum.

Oh, and speaking for the entire Inkscape community, the team which created Inkscape's Gcode tools are apparently no longer available to provide support for them.  So if anyone knows of any tutorials, please let me know.  Then I can help to share them around as well.

All best,
brynn

Offline Laurianne

• Original Member
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 58.0.3029.110 Chrome 58.0.3029.110
    • Eye Draw It, Red Cabin Studio
Re: Welcome #2
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »
Brynn,

I think it's great if you can keep interest in the group by expanding into another direction. Sounds like it maybe beyond my scope of knowledge, for sure. But I'll check back periodically and who knows, maybe I'll learn something new!

Laurianne

Offline brynn

• Administrator
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 54.0 Firefox 54.0
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Welcome #2
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 12:48:41 AM »
Well, we had some increased activity for a while there.  But it seems to have calmed down now.  We'll see what happens  :)