• November 18, 2017, 11:57:31 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Licensing  (Read 2826 times)

Offline quantum7

• Sr. Newbie
Licensing
« on: August 24, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »
I noticed that many people post designs without specifying a license. Does this site have a default license for work posted? For instance, can material in the 'Free Cutting Files' be considered public domain? What about in 'Showcase your Projects'?

Apologies if I missed an obvious message somewhere. The only relevant post I found was brynn's about copyright which states the self-evident fact that creators retain copyright, but doesn't address terms of usage.
macOS; Inkscape; Cricut Explorer, Laser cutter

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Licensing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 02:10:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

In that post, I was considering copyright and usage together.  To my understanding, based on personal research years ago, usage (or licenses) and copyright are tied together.  Although of course, they aren't the same thing.    I guess copyright defines the ownership, while licenses define how the image can be used.  Some licenses actually transfer the copyright.  But most simply address the usage, while the artist still retains ownership.   Maybe I should edit that whole message, to cover licenses, as well?  It's a difficult issue to understand, let alone explain.

To me, if there is no license provided or referenced, the image is off limits -- I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I understand that to be the legal perspective as well.  And while my understanding could be wrong, I think visitors should consider that to be the default for images on this site.  (At least until I can update my knowledge on the subject, and make a more prominent statement for the site.)

I think I would be correct in saying that the images provided in the Free Cutting Files board can be considered Public Domain.  I think that's what those artists intended, when they posted them there.  They can be used by anyone, for any purpose (but the artist is still holding the copyright, so giving credit is always nice).

Images in Showcase your Projects board (and the rest of the site) are not public domain, and cannot be used without permission (legally).  In fact, to my understanding, the topic where someone posts about their project could be used as proof of ownership, if it were needed to defend a copyright (legally).

Thanks for your questions about this.  I think I'll do some new research, and make a more prominent statement about the copyright and license for images for the whole site.

Offline quantum7

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 07:01:50 AM »
I would recommend putting something like 'Content posted on this site copyright the original authors' in the forum footer.

For the Free Cutting Files, it would be nice to make them public domain, but I don't think this is legally possible without obtaining consent from the authors. 'Free' could apply to many possible licenses. I think the best would be to add a notice to that forum for future posts, such as 'All content posted to Free Cutting Files after Sept 28, 2017 is released into the public domain unless otherwise specified'.
macOS; Inkscape; Cricut Explorer, Laser cutter

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »
Ok, just following up on this finally.

I don't think a special notification needs to be made about original authors holding the copyright, because they already do, by default.  It's like posting "When the sun is out, the sky is blue."  I see it sort of like a birthright.  The artist gives birth to the artwork, and the artist holds the copyright.  It's like a fact of life.

I've added a note to the description of the Free Cutting Files board, that files in the board can be used freely.  (The word "freely" is part of the Inkscape slogan "Draw Freely")  I didn't want to specify that any future files be Public Domain, because some people might want to make files available to other crafters (who visit this site, or friends of this site), but not necessarily the whole world.  I worry about people with less than honorable intentions who search the internet for "public domain", and take everything on the site (or page or board or whatever), using a script, not even looking at them individually.  So I would rather individual members mark their images individually, if that's how they want.

However, as I said before, I'm certainly no expert. If others think we need to be more strict about licensing, please feel free to discuss.  I'm happy to set things up, as much as I'm capable, how everyone wants or agrees.  If we need special features, I'll try to find them.  Just whatever everyone wants or agrees on.

But my current thinking is that if individual members are concerned enough about licensing, they can post about it when they post their images.

Note that I do an image search on the internet, from time to time, searching for our domain.  I sometimes find an image, now and then which has been stolen or hotlinked somewhere else.  Then I simply delete it, and re-upload.  It breaks the thief's hotlink.  Of course hotlinking is probably minimal, as far how people steal other people's artwork.  But I hate dishonesty (especially spammers, which is a whole other story).

Anyway, if more people want some changes about licensing, please feel free to discuss further.