• November 18, 2017, 11:55:55 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Creating a stencil card or mat  (Read 4651 times)

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
Creating a stencil card or mat
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
It's been awhile since I've been here, and now I have a question...can someone or is there a tutorial on here on how to create a stencil of a rose or something like it....I will include a picture here of what I am interested in learning how to do...

I know there has to be away of doing this and include the pieces inside the stencil main piece....

Carolym Smith

1 copy.jpg
*1 copy.jpg
(60.26 kB . 800x800)
(viewed 495 times)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:59:02 AM by brynn »

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
Re: Creating a stencil card or mat
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
Carolyn, I've made stencils before by just placeing a "clean" image on top of a rectangle (both converted to paths.  I export to my eCAL to cut on the eclips.

The jpg image you provided is very messy, lots of nodes everywhere so that would have to be all cleaned up to get a good clean cut.

I hope this example helps you get the job done.  Post when you've got it, or ask more questions.

ButterflystencilPS Shot.png
*ButterflystencilPS Shot.png
(67.05 kB . 751x286)
(viewed 466 times)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:59:52 AM by brynn »
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »
I have been thinking about your query and wondered whether you are looking for a real stencil or something exactly like the jpg you have posted.  Your jpg would cut everything out and you would be left with a big hole in a square piece of card because it has a continuous outline.  I hope that makes sense -LOL.

Here are two options.  I have used a rose stem I found on the internet so not entirely the same as yours but I hope it shows what I mean.  If you would like to say which result you are seeking I would be happy to write some notes for you.

ICD Query.JPG
*ICD Query.JPG
(59.34 kB . 973x518)
(viewed 465 times)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:01:06 AM by brynn »
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:13:09 AM »
Quote from: "PapaSue"
Carolyn, I've made stencils before by just placeing a "clean" image on top of a rectangle (both converted to paths.  I export to my eCAL to cut on the eclips.

The jpg image you provided is very messy, lots of nodes everywhere so that would have to be all cleaned up to get a good clean cut.

I hope this example helps you get the job done.  Post when you've got it, or ask more questions.

[attachment=0:1dwynpt0][/attachment]ButterflystencilPS Shot.png[/attachment:1dwynpt0]

I know from looking at the sample that I would have a big hole in the paper when I cut the piece out and not what I want.  But I don't understand the 'clean' image on top of a rectangle.  I don't even know where to start or how to start except for may-be cleaning up the nodes. LOL  

Isn't there some type of tutorial on here that can help me...even a video may help even though I would be going back and forth to watch it..I prefer something written down...

Carolyn
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:16:34 AM »
Quote from: "Technomum"
I have been thinking about your query and wondered whether you are looking for a real stencil or something exactly like the jpg you have posted.  Your jpg would cut everything out and you would be left with a big hole in a square piece of card because it has a continuous outline.  I hope that makes sense -LOL.

Here are two options.  I have used a rose stem I found on the internet so not entirely the same as yours but I hope it shows what I mean.  If you would like to say which result you are seeking I would be happy to write some notes for you.

[attachment=0:1v9nhex6][/attachment]ICD Query.JPG[/attachment:1v9nhex6]

I knew that I would end up with a big hole in a square piece of card and I thought there was a way to do this...  I would appreciate any notes you could write up for me..I don't particularly need this image I provided, I just want some idea on how to create a stencil effect on a card.  Thank you.

Carolyn

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 06:44:49 AM »
Hi Carolyn, apologies, I had not read your previous posts fully.  Slapped wrists!!

I would be delighted to explain how to create a stencil and will write you a few notes.

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 05:37:01 AM »
Carolyn, here are a few notes for you.  I hope you will understand them but, if not, please post or PM me for more help.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:02:10 AM by brynn »

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 03:06:10 AM »
Here are a few files created whilst writing the mini tutorial.  Maybe some of you would like to use them. It seems a shame to send them to the Recycle Bin.

ICD Rose Tutorial Files.JPG
*ICD Rose Tutorial Files.JPG
(29.41 kB . 636x423)
(viewed 449 times)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:02:41 AM by brynn »