• November 18, 2017, 08:31:37 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Welding Words  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Welding Words
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »
When learning a new program for your cutter most people want to know how to weld words. In Inkscape weld is called union. So if you see information on the web for union it is the same as weld in other software programs.

Once again, this tutorial is only basic and is designed to help beginners. The idea is to learn the basics and adapt them to suit your style. Download, at the end of the pictorial. There is more information in the download file that shown in this post.

The following pictorial is for Inkscape version 0.47. Please note, I have found in Inkscape the letters occasionally regroup and sometimes even group with other objects on the canvas. If this happens just ungroup and continue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline dizzydi

• Original Member
Re: Welding Words
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
Thank you so much Carolyn - easy when you know how ;)
I've been using the old instructions from my files and have been getting nowhere with them :lol:
Yer a gem!!!

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
Great to hear the tutorial helped. I too found it strange when I swapped to a later version of Inkscape. The fact I had to ungroup caught me out a few times. In versions 0.47 and 0.48 welding words is a lot easier.

Offline GoGayleGo

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:27:39 AM »
Once again, thank you!  I was trying to do this unsuccessfully, but following your directions, I did it!  I would NEVER have thought to "Ungroup" - do you know why Inkscape interprets text as a group?
Windows 8.1, Inkscape 0.91, Photoshop CS6, Pazzles Inspiration with Studio Pro 2014

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 09:14:35 AM »
Oh, I have some good news for the the grouping issue here!  It's a trick I just learned myself recently.

As long as I've been using Inkscape, if I want to do something fancy with text, the process goes:

1 -- type the text
2 -- Path menu > Object to Path
3 -- Object menu > Ungroup
4 -- Path menu > Combine

It's a long process, when one works with doing fancy things with text.  (By "fancy", I mean anything beyond typing it and changing the color.  And especially for cutting, where it has to be paths, it's almost always "fancy".)  There are buttons for all those steps, instead of dropping down the menus.  But still, it's 3 clicks.

A couple of us were thinking of making a feature request to have all that done in just 1 click, when someone pointed out that Union does that already.  So here's the "new" routine:

1 -- type the text
2 -- Path menu > Union

As long as you have all the text selected that you want to cut (or to be a path), Union will do it!

Who would have thought that, right?  Because we've been told that path operations only work on paths, right?  But it does work!! 

I don't know how long it will work like this.  With any program under active development, such as Inkscape is, things can change, and for the user, without much warning, if any at all.  But I suspect it will be around for quite a while  :D