• November 18, 2017, 11:54:35 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Creating Guidelines in 0.47 and 0.48  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Creating Guidelines in 0.47 and 0.48
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:14:28 AM »
Guidelines can be useful when designing in Inkscape. I will show three ways guidelines can be created and the method chosen will depend on your project.

Method 1
I tend to use this method if I only want a few guidelines or if I want the guideline to be at a set angle.
Click on the images to view at a larger size.

g1.JPG
*g1.JPG
(88.39 kB . 941x478)
(viewed 192 times)

g2.JPG
*g2.JPG
(72.02 kB . 749x481)
(viewed 190 times)

g3.JPG
*g3.JPG
(67.93 kB . 668x478)
(viewed 192 times)

The next screenshot shows how easy it is to change the angle of a guideline.

g4.JPG
*g4.JPG
(81.84 kB . 751x460)
(viewed 190 times)

Method 2
I really like this method when I am designing full page designs. I can choose to have horizontal or vertical lines through half the page, or thirds, quarters etc.
Click on the images to view at a larger size.
The first screenshot shows guidelines placed 1/2 way through the page on both the vertical and horizontal. I have also ticked the box Start from edges to place guidelines along the page border.

g5.JPG
*g5.JPG
(97.79 kB . 927x481)
(viewed 192 times)

The second screenshot also shows guidelines placed 1/2 way through the page on the vertical and horizontal but this time I left the box Start from edges unticked.

g6.JPG
*g6.JPG
(68.9 kB . 718x479)
(viewed 198 times)

Method 3
Please note before reading this method I had trouble describing the steps and it may be confusing to read. I will try to think of a clearer way to explain the process and correct any confusing bits.

Now this method gives a different result depending on the object, for example the guidelines created will differ if the shape or text has Object to Path applied first. A few examples of different results are listed below.

1 - If you draw a star, circle, square or write some text without applying object to path the guidelines will be created along the bounding box of the shape or text.
2 - If you draw a shape using the bezier tool and apply Object>Objects to Guides it will create guidelines around the perimeter of the shape.
3 - If you draw a shape or write some text and apply Object to Path before applying Object>Objects to Guides the guidelines will be created along the perimeter of the shape or text.

For the first example I am using a star to clearly show the different result between the shape being an object and not an object.
In the first screenshot I drew a star, duplicated the star (otherwise it disappears in the next step) then applied Object>Objects to Guides. As you can see in the screenshot the guidelines have been created along the perimeter of the star's bounding box.

gu star 1.JPG
*gu star 1.JPG
(30.04 kB . 466x466)
(viewed 180 times)

In the second screenshot I did use the same star but this time I applied Object to Path before I duplicated. In the screenshot you can see the guidelines are now created along every single line of the star shape.

gu3.JPG
*gu3.JPG
(43.07 kB . 466x467)
(viewed 188 times)

Now I will show screenshots showing the difference with text.
The first example shows the result when I typed some text, duplicated (otherwise the text disappears in the next step) and applied Object>Objects to Guides to show the guidelines are created around the text bounding box.

text 1.JPG
*text 1.JPG
(32.83 kB . 469x468)
(viewed 182 times)

In the second screenshot I did use the same text but this time I applied Object to Path before I duplicated. You can clearly see the difference. It may look like one big mess but it would be very useful if you like to change the way text looks such as adding a swash.

text2.JPG
*text2.JPG
(52.45 kB . 469x466)
(viewed 190 times)

The final example is to show multiple shapes can be used when using this method to create guidelines.

ex 2.JPG
*ex 2.JPG
(23.38 kB . 463x462)
(viewed 178 times)

Do not copy these instructions and upload to any other blogs or websites. Any tutorial takes a long time to write as I test out each step on many shapes before writing the steps.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:01:14 AM by brynn »