• February 21, 2018, 04:39:34 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Circle with notches  (Read 2495 times)

Offline gamanet

• Sr. Newbie
Circle with notches
« on: December 22, 2017, 04:32:18 AM »
Hello!

I´m totally new using Inkscape, it´s also first time that i´ve to create svg-files... i would like to make a Chrismas-present and therefore i would Need a circle with four notches. (see attachment).

Diameter of the circle should be about 30-40cm.... at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees a notch of about 1cm should be.... And in the middle of the circle there should be a hole (circle) with Diameter also about 1cm...

I've been trying to create a drawing for hours with inkscape, but I just can not do it ...

I would be grateful for any help, I just can not get on. I have no idea how to draw a corresponding notch at the mentioned degrees.

Best regards and happy holidays
Matthias

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Circle with notches
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

It's not hard to do, but because you need certain precision, those things aren't obvious to newbies.  But we can help!

Please tell me what you've been able to accomplish so far.  Can you share the SVG file with us?

Also, do the notches need to have a particular shape?  In your drawing, they look somewhat rectangular.  But could they be V shapes, for example?
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
Hi Matthias,

You will use the circle and rectangle tools.  It's easiest if you use them with fill and no stroke so that way there is no size discrepancy no matter your settings.  Create your circles and one rectangle for your notch, size them to the size that you want, and then copy and paste your notch rectangle to get four.  If they aren't squares, rotate two for the sides of the main circle.

Use the alignment tool to align everything to your large circle.  I usually use "Relative to First selected"  With that setting you will select your big circle first and then one of the shapes and align it to the circle.  Repeat until all are positioned.  Select the five smaller shape, use Control K to combine them.  The should be above the large circle, so select the the large circle and your smaller shapes and use Path/Difference.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline gamanet

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 09:53:46 PM »
Hello brynn, hello all.

Thank you very much for your replies and offers of help.

@brynn
I would like to share a svg-File with you, but i would not contain more than a circle. I´ve had to google to learn how i can draw a circle, not only a ellipse... :-(   I´m really sorry to say, but I can not even draw the square in the middle of the circle...

My two problems are: i have no idea how to use inkskape and in addition, I lack any geometric knowledge that would make the plan easier to realize...

Maybe i should start with what i wanna reach: i´ve the possibility to use a lasercutter and would like to cut some pieces out of a wooden board (6mm thick). Those pieces should be 2 circles (as shown before, diameter 250mm)) and four struts (20mm x 150mm). Those four struts should be used to connect the two circles to a cylinder (sorry for my bad english by the way)... SO therefor i think the notches should have a rectangular shape...  the length of the rectangle should be 20mm, the height 6mm (this is the thickness of the wooden board from which all parts should be cut out). In the middle of the circle there should also be a square with a side length of 10mm...

I guess for you thats 10minutes of work, but for me, who has only used MS-Paint for drawing till now, it seams to be unrealizable, at least when i need to do it in vektor-graphics...

I am grateful for any help, happy holidays to you all
best wishes from vienna
Matthias

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:44:45 PM »
Hi Mattias,
Oh, it's no problem at all.  I particularly enjoy helping complete novices.

Before you start, go to Inkscape Preferences > Tools and put a dot in Geometric Bounding Box.  (This helps to avoid certain headaches with sizes.)

Have you been able to make the circle the right size yet?  If not, then select it with the Selection tool :sel: and locate the control bar.  It's the toolbar which is immediately above the horizontal ruler.  The buttons and options on it change, depending on which tool you have enabled.  Find the 2 fields, labeled W: and H: (width and height).  Make sure the tiny lock button between them is not enabled.  Then just fill in the size you need for the circle.

Deselect the circle (click any open area of the canvas) and switch to the Rectangle tool :rect:  You can drag out a rectangle, just like you did with the circle.  For the square, hold the Ctrl key while you drag (just like with the circle) to make it symmetrical.  Or you can switch back to the Selection tool control bar to make it square.  Then on the Selection tool control bar, set the W and H for each object, just like I explained for the circle. 

You just need to make one of each thing, for now.  If I understand correctly, you need a small square, a small rectangle and a long rectangle.  You didn't say how deep into the circle the notch needs to be.  But whatever that depth is, multiply by 2, to calculate the width for the small rectangles.  They might end up being squares, if I understand everything correctly.  (The thickness of the board is not important here.)

While the Selection tool is enabled, do Ctrl A.  That will select everything on the canvas (which at this point are a large circle, a small square, a long rectangle, and either a small rectangle or square, as far as I understand).  Then Path menu > Object to Path.  (You won't notice any changes, but if you don't do this, the laser might not recognize the objects.)

While everything is still selected, go to Object menu > Fill and Stroke > Stroke Paint tab and click the big X button.  This will remove the stroke, if there is any.  (The stroke can sometimes change sizes by fractions, so better to get rid of them.)  Depending on which laser cutter you use, you might need to have the strokes later.  But we'll add them back after all the objects are finished.

If you're using Inkscape with the original defaults, the objects probably already have fill colors (partially transparent probably).  But if they don't have fill colors, go ahead and click on any color in the palette (because without either stroke or fill, well, you couldn't see them anymore, haha).

Next, select the small rectangle (maybe square), and duplicate 3...no let's say 4 times.  This leaves one extra one, which you might want to keep in the file, in case you ever decide to make another one of these things.  If not, just duplicate 3 times, which will make a total of 4.  Edit menu > Duplicate, or else on the command bar (the toolbar which is just above the control bar) this button  :dup:

By the way, don't forget to Save periodically, as you're working.  You might want to set up autosave, if you plan to use Inkscape more in the future.  (Inkscape Preferences > Input/Output > Autosave)

Duplicate the large rectangle, as many times as needed.  Note that when you duplicate, it doesn't look like anything has happened.  The new objects are right on top of the originals.  If you want to be sure how many you have, you can either drag them apart, or drag a selection box (with Selection tool) around the stack of duplicates, and then look at the status bar to see how many are reported.  The status bar is along the bottom of the window, and the info area is in the middle.

Now that you have all the parts you need, let's get them positioned properly.  For this, you'll need Snapping.  The Snap control bar is usually vertical, along the right edge of the window.  I've attached a couple of screenshots showing how to set up snapping.  (Sorry for the weird theme color that I use.  The buttons with the lighter color are the ones which need to be enabled.)   Click on them to make larger, if needed to see better.

If you want to test how snapping works, set it up like in the snap-basic.png image.  Then slowly drag one of the objects nearby to another.  At a certain point, the object you're dragging will jump away from the mouse, and over to the other object.  Notice that a small bit of text pops up to tell you which part of the object you're dragging snapped to which which part of the target object.

Let's start aligning with the center square.  Set the snap control bar like in the image snap-rot-center.png  Drag the square over the middle area of the circle.  When you see "Object rotation center to object rotation center", release the mouse. 

If it looks correct then select both of them (either drag a selection box (with Selection tool) around the the circle, or click on one of them, and hold the Shift key while you click the other.  The status bar will confirm that you have 2 object selected.  Then Path menu > Difference.  The square will disappear, and you should see a square hole in the middle of the circle.

Now for the smaller rectangles.  Well actually, I suspect the small rectangles ended up being squares.  So if they are squares, skip this.  If they are rectangle, 2 of them need to be flipped around.  Drag them apart, if you haven't already.  Select 2 of them, and click one of these buttons on the Selection control bar or

Now set the snap toolbar like in the attached image snap-basic.png.  Drag each rectangle around the area where you need them, and they will snap.  The snap indicator must say "Object rotation center to cusp node" to make sure they are properly in place.

Next, select 1 rectangle or square (whatever), and the circle together.  Then Path menu > Difference.  The rectangle or square will disappear, and you'll see the notch in the circle.  Then repeat this for the other 3.

I suspect the laser probably does need strokes and no fills.  Some cutters even need the strokes to be a particular width.  So let us know if you need help with that.   Anyway, select the circle, along with the 4 long rectangles, and go back to Object menu > Fill and Stroke > Stroke Paint tab, and click the big solid blue square button (just to the right of the X button).  You'll see the strokes reappear.

Probably the laser also needs the strokes to be 100% opaque.  And if you're using Inkscape with the original defaults, they probably are partially transparent.  With everything still selected, look at the same Stroke Paint tab in the Fill and Stroke dialog.  Check and make sure the slider bar labelled A: is all the way to the right, with a value of 255.  If not, then set it.  Also check the slider labelled Opacity.  It needs to be all the way to the right, with a value 100%.

Next, switch over to the Fill Paint tab of the Fill and Stroke dialog.  Click the big X button to remove the fills.

And now finally, duplicate the circle.

Be sure to save an SVG version of the file, even if you will be saving or exporting a different format later.  If you don't save the SVG, you might not be able to edit it in the future, and you'll have to draw it again.

Ok, that should do it, unless I've misunderstood something.  You didn't say if you need to export to some particular format, or maybe use Inkscape to generate gcode.  But just let us know what happens.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline gamanet

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 03:39:50 AM »
Hi brynn!

Woww.. Thank you very very much for that explanation!!!

i´ve attached the svg-file i created so far... i only did the circle with the notches... the 4 big rectangles i´ll do later, hopefully without the need of your perfect support...

the only problem that i have is when snapping the rectangles... only when snapping the rectangle on "north" i get the message "Object Rotation center to cusp node"... the 3 other rectangles (east, south and west) are snapping with message "Object Rotation center to smooth node"... No idea whats different... i also tried to clone the "north"-rectangle and paste it to east for example, but no difference, east snapped in again with message "Object Rotation center to smooth node"

but the result looks fine, as far as i can see...

Thanks for your tips about strokes and fills and cutters, i will ask the guy how owns this cutter...

Thank you very very much meanwhile for your support!!

Best wishes
Matthias

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 06:22:36 AM »
You're very welcome  :)

It's no problem about the snap indicator saying smooth instead of cusp.  There seems to be a little bug with how Inkscape identifies which type of node is which (just showed up in the last couple of versions).

You probably just changed your mind.  Or maybe it was a typo, where you said you wanted the middle square to be 10 mm.  But anyway, I notice it's 15 mm square instead.

I also looked at something else which I had made, well something between assumption and educated guess about before, which is in Document Properties > Page tab > Page Size > Scale.  I don't have a good clear understanding of this feature, but I think you might have the wrong value there.  This can affect the size of objects when you open them in other programs (such as the laser cutter).  (I know, common sense would be that you want a 1 to 1 scale.  I don't know what developers were thinking when they did that....)

But anyway, if you don't remember or don't know how it changed, you might want to make a small test run with the laser cutter - just a small square or something, to make sure Inkscape is giving you the proper size.  If you find things are too small, follow the steps here, to get the proper settings:  https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/#inkscape-092-my-drawings-are-just-quarter-their-original-size-when-i-open-them-program-xyz

• Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline gamanet

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »
Hi brynn!

Sad to say, but at the end i´ve redrawed everything with Adobe Illustrator because when using the inkscape-svg-file the laser cutter had some troubles with some dimensions... When using Illustrator i could still benefit from the principals you told me, so i didn´t need that much time for redrawing...

I´ve attached 2 pics from the cutting-process, and, cause no vids are allowed, some vids you can watch here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjPnGje9_r_4moIPEOF6foK5eHMTHg

I´ll send more pics from the end-product when it is finished...

Best regards,
Matthias

IMG_20180103_142803.jpg
*IMG_20180103_142803.jpg
(2147 kB . 3968x2976)
(viewed 108 times)
IMG_20180103_152017.jpg
*IMG_20180103_152017.jpg
(2778.87 kB . 3968x2976)
(viewed 107 times)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 02:45:19 AM »
Yes, when I said this

I also looked at something else which I had made, well something between assumption and educated guess about before, which is in Document Properties > Page tab > Page Size > Scale.  I don't have a good clear understanding of this feature, but I think you might have the wrong value there.  This can affect the size of objects when you open them in other programs (such as the laser cutter).  (I know, common sense would be that you want a 1 to 1 scale.  I don't know what developers were thinking when they did that....)

But anyway, if you don't remember or don't know how it changed, you might want to make a small test run with the laser cutter - just a small square or something, to make sure Inkscape is giving you the proper size.  If you find things are too small, follow the steps here, to get the proper settings:  https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/#inkscape-092-my-drawings-are-just-quarter-their-original-size-when-i-open-them-program-xyz

I was worried that you would have problems with size or dimensions.  The link I gave you tells how to fix it.  So probably you did not need to draw again - only change the Scale to the proper value.

Videos should be allowed here.  I will double-check.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 04:00:02 AM »
The video embedder should be working now.  I don't use videos much myself, which is probably why I didn't realize it wasn't working.  As far as I understand, you just paste in the link to the video, and the forum automatically recognizes it, and adds the frame.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline gamanet

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 02:48:02 AM »
hi brynn!

I do remember the link you send me, but when i have been at the workplace of my friend and we have realized that some dimensions were not right, we didn´t have that much time to install inkscape and do the proper configurations, because the boss of my friend should know about what we are doing... And my friend decided to redraw it with Illustrator (which was already installed and he know how to work with it)...

But i have so much more ideas and i will do the next projects with inkscpae again, so your advices are still of use for me!

Matthias

Offline gamanet

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 03:51:09 AM »
Hi brynn!

I´ve attached a picture of the end-product.

I´m happy with it, particular because it was my first try... Thank you very much for pushing me to the right direction.

Best regards,
MatthiasIMG_20180114_193041.jpg
*IMG_20180114_193041.jpg
(2411.43 kB . 2976x3968)
(viewed 80 times)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 05:08:08 AM »
Oh wow, it's bigger than I thought it would be (I never bothered to look up mm to inches, when we were working on the drawing).  Is it a lamp?  At that angle, the general shape reminds me of a butter churn.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline gamanet

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 04:58:00 AM »
Helllo brynn,

yes, you are absolutly right... it got much bigger than in my drafts... but when asking for help the dimensions weren´t that important for me... more important was to learn the main principle of working with inkscape and how to draw the stuff i needed... Right now i know and i´m reallly happy with the result...

It should become some kind of churn for extracting THC from Hemp-Plants... Around the construction i will put some silk-screen printing-sheet, and some raspberry will be used with a multiphase motor to keep the thing in motion (turning around slowly)...

With best regards,
Matthias