• May 25, 2018, 08:14:51 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Need help on jpg to dxf conversion (for Lazycam).  (Read 2463 times)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Need help on jpg to dxf conversion (for Lazycam).
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 04:51:41 AM »
Talk about a non-helpful reply!  Did you ask for clarification?  Had you submitted the files for them, or were they guessing?

Usually "3d" or "3D" refers to three dimensional.  Well, I can say that's not true for the Inkscape file.  At least not the SVG you showed me.

DXF version 12??  Oh ok.  When you exported the DXF, there's a dialog titled Desktop Cutting Plotter.  The Help tab of that gives you some info about DXF.  It looks like Inkscape version 0.92.2, is only exporting DXF 14.  Actually I don't remember if I ever asked which version of Inkscape you're using.  But you can probably downgrade to an older version, to get DXF 12.

There's a little bit of info about exporting DXF file on this manual page http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/File-Export.html

I'm going to guess that Inkscape 0.91 will offer the right kind of DXF.  But if it doesn't, try 0.48.  (Yeah, Inkscape skipped from 0.48 to 0.91.)  https://inkscape.org/en/release/

As for the 3d comment, I'd ask for clarification.  Exactly what did they see in the file which made them think it was a 3d image.  Hhmm, I wonder if the DXF conversion might have created something that makes it look like 3d?  I wish I could open DXF files.....

(Hhm, you posted this on the 11th?  I wonder how I missed it?  I'm on the site almost every day, usually a few times a day.  Strange....  Well, I hope you got your work done on time.  I'll still post this, just in case.)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline pawl

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
The saga has continued unabated, alas. Zero luck with getting any version of dxf files into the Lazycam (or what they were able to looked awful so we stopped the plasma machine). However, I did manage to get a Fiverr (the website) person to convert the files to a dxf that loads in Lazycam. HOWEVER, I have to figure out what is wrong with my svg file, because when he converts it, it is losing most of the curves (though not all). Perhaps you can assist me. I'll attach the svg file and his converted dxf for your consideration.

I'll be publishing a book on this issue. (it won't be a best seller!)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »
Unfortunately, I can't open DXF files.  Do you know what he did?  Did he use Inkscape to convert to DXF, or some other program?

When I open your SVG file, I find a number of problems which need to be fixed.

1 -- See attached gate2.png.  Shouldn't there be 2 vertical paths extending from the ends of the top arch path?  And a horizontal path connecting them at the bottom?

2 -- There are many nested groups in the file.  I've never heard of any kind of cutter which will accept a group.  Maybe some do, but for best results, it's probably better to use only paths.

-- Deselect everything, and then do Ctrl A (select all)
 -- Click Ungroup (this button  :ung: ) a few times, until the status bar says "No groups to ungroup"
 -- Path menu > Combine
 -- You could switch to Outline mode by View menu > Display mode > Outline.  This allows you to visualize the paths.  Or if you don't want to use Outline mode, here's how to make it display with strokes only (no fills).

-- while everythinng is still selected, or do Ctrl A (select all)
 -- Add a stroke by holding the Shift key and clicking on the black chip in the palette
 -- Remove the fill by clicking the tiny X at the far left end of the palette

Note that some cutters are very specific about what kind of file they need.  Some need strokes of a particular width.  Some need the strokes to be a certain color.  Some can't recognize the paths if they have any fill.  I have no idea about your cutter.

With all those things fixed, you can try to Save As DXF again.

Oh wait.  Actually I'm not sure what you're trying to show with the attached JPGs.  Something about losing the curves, I guess?  Part of the problem could be that you only have cusp/corner nodes in the file.  Maybe when the file is converted, their handles are somehow lost.  That would make sharp corners.  While I'm really just guessing about that, it certainly won't hurt to properly change them to smooth.

Cusp/corner nodes are diamond shapes, while smooth nodes are square shaped.  99.9% of the nodes in the file are corner/cusp.

I would try selecting the nodes of everything except the trees, and change them to smooth nodes.  If you switch the nodes for the trees to smooth, they'll look like bunches of bubbles instead of trees.  But everything else can be switched.

Oh, before you do that, I would suggest disabling this button on the Node tool control bar.    It's probably only confusing you.

After you select the path with the Node tool, you can drag a selection box around large groups of nodes, to select them.  They'll become highlighted blue and get a little larger when they are selected.   Then click this button on the Node tool control bar, to change those nodes to smooth 

There may be some areas around the rocks and water at the bottom, where you want to keep them corner nodes.  You'll just have to try it, to find out if it gives the appearance you want.  But I would definitely leave the trees with corner/cusp nodes.

Now.  When you change large numbers of nodes like that, often some of them go kind of sideways.  So you'll have to carefully examine the paths, and in certain places which have been distorted, you can click on the node to select it.  That will cause the handles to be displayed.  Then you can use the handles to adjust the curve, to fix it.  Just grab the tiny circle at the end of the handle, and drag, and you'll see how the curves are adjusted.

You'll probably find some nodes which don't want to be adjusted.  Since there are more nodes than you really need in the file, I would suggest just deleting any nodes whose handles won't be adjusted.  (Note that when you delete a smooth node, the nodes on either side of it are changed to corner nodes.  (a behavior which annoys me to no end, but is considered to be proper behavior)  So be sure to change them back to smooth, after you delete a node.

As long as I'm looking so close at the nodes, I see that there are some places where the path is not joined properly.  This would just cause the cutter to stop, move over a tiny bit, and start cutting again.  So no huge problem, but still, easily fixable.  See attached screenshot (gate3.png) showing the left side where the arch comes to meet the trees.

In just a very few minutes, I could make all these changes, and upload the SVG file, for you to use as a model, if you like.  Just let me know.

Edit -- I just wanted to make a comment that you're trying to learn intermediate skills, while yet being a beginner.  So just be patient.  I don't remember if I suggested any tutorials for you, but Help menu > Tutorials will probably help you.  The first 3 will be the best for beginner (yes, even though one is titled "Advanced", it's not really advanced, it's written for beginners).  Actually  the one called Advanced will probably help you the most.

Oops, I just saw a place in the rocks and water where the path is broken again.  Then I realized I didn't tell you how to fix it.  To fix:  select both end nodes, and click Join Selected Node button, on the Node tool control bar.  Then you may need to adjust the handles.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline pawl

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 12:41:07 AM »
Unfortunately, I can't open DXF files.  Do you know what he did?  Did he use Inkscape to convert to DXF, or some other program?

————I do not know what he did on his end, but I am opening [these] dxf files in Inkscape, oddly enough.

When I open your SVG file, I find a number of problems which need to be fixed.

1 -- See attached gate2.png.  Shouldn't there be 2 vertical paths extending from the ends of the top arch path?  And a horizontal path connecting them at the bottom?

————Yes indeed, however, I have been assuming that the frame acts as a cutting path. (doh!)

2 -- There are many nested groups in the file.  I've never heard of any kind of cutter which will accept a group.  Maybe some do, but for best results, it's probably better to use only paths.

-- Deselect everything, and then do Ctrl A (select all)
 -- Click Ungroup (this button   ) a few times, until the status bar says "No groups to ungroup"
 -- Path menu > Combine
 -- You could switch to Outline mode by View menu > Display mode > Outline.  This allows you to visualize the paths.  Or if you don't want to use Outline mode, here's how to make it display with strokes only (no fills).

-- while everything is still selected, or do Ctrl A (select all)
 -- Add a stroke by holding the Shift key and clicking on the black chip in the palette
 -- Remove the fill by clicking the tiny X at the far left end of the palette

————I completed these steps.

Note that some cutters are very specific about what kind of file they need.  Some need strokes of a particular width.  Some need the strokes to be a certain color.  Some can't recognize the paths if they have any fill.  I have no idea about your cutter.

With all those things fixed, you can try to Save As DXF again.

Oh wait.  Actually I'm not sure what you're trying to show with the attached JPGs.  Something about losing the curves, I guess?  Part of the problem could be that you only have cusp/corner nodes in the file.  Maybe when the file is converted, their handles are somehow lost.  That would make sharp corners.  While I'm really just guessing about that, it certainly won't hurt to properly change them to smooth.

Cusp/corner nodes are diamond shapes, while smooth nodes are square shaped.  99.9% of the nodes in the file are corner/cusp.

I would try selecting the nodes of everything except the trees and change them to smooth nodes.  If you switch the nodes for the trees to smooth, they'll look like bunches of bubbles instead of trees.  But everything else can be switched.

Oh, before you do that, I would suggest disabling this button on the Node tool control bar.    It's probably only confusing you.

After you select the path with the Node tool, you can drag a selection box around large groups of nodes, to select them.  They'll become highlighted blue and get a little larger when they are selected.   Then click this button on the Node tool control bar, to change those nodes to smooth. 

There may be some areas around the rocks and water at the bottom, where you want to keep them corner nodes.  You'll just have to try it, to find out if it gives the appearance you want.  But I would definitely leave the trees with corner/cusp nodes.

Now.  When you change large numbers of nodes like that, often some of them go kind of sideways.  So you'll have to carefully examine the paths, and in certain places which have been distorted, you can click on the node to select it.  That will cause the handles to be displayed.  Then you can use the handles to adjust the curve, to fix it.  Just grab the tiny circle at the end of the handle, and drag, and you'll see how the curves are adjusted.

You'll probably find some nodes which don't want to be adjusted.  Since there are more nodes than you really need in the file, I would suggest just deleting any nodes whose handles won't be adjusted.  (Note that when you delete a smooth node, the nodes on either side of it are changed to corner nodes.  (a behavior which annoys me to no end, but is considered to be proper behavior)  So be sure to change them back to smooth, after you delete a node.

—————Thank you. I'll need to consider this option with more time ahead of me.

As long as I'm looking so close at the nodes, I see that there are some places where the path is not joined properly.  This would just cause the cutter to stop, move over a tiny bit, and start cutting again.  So no huge problem, but still, easily fixable.  See attached screenshot (gate3.png) showing the left side where the arch comes to meet the trees.

—————Strange, but I can see the break in the rocks, but when I zoom in, it grows ever smaller and then I can only see one node to select, not two that could be joined.

In just a very few minutes, I could make all these changes, and upload the SVG file, for you to use as a model, if you like.  Just let me know.

—————I would love this if you could. And I appreciate what you wrote just below (about my biting off more than I could chew. I will take those tutorials starting with coffee tomorrow morning.

Edit -- I just wanted to make a comment that you're trying to learn intermediate skills, while yet being a beginner.  So just be patient.  I don't remember if I suggested any tutorials for you, but Help menu > Tutorials will probably help you.  The first 3 will be the best for beginner (yes, even though one is titled "Advanced", it's not really advanced, it's written for beginners).  Actually  the one called Advanced will probably help you the most.

Oops, I just saw a place in the rocks and water where the path is broken again.  Then I realized I didn't tell you how to fix it.  To fix:  select both end nodes, and click Join Selected Node button, on the Node tool control bar.  Then you may need to adjust the handles.

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 11:06:35 PM »
—————Strange, but I can see the break in the rocks, but when I zoom in, it grows ever smaller and then I can only see one node to select, not two that could be joined.

Very strange!  That seems to be some kind of display anomaly.  As far as I can tell, the path is connected there.  It should cut without any problem. 

But the place where the trees meet the arch on the left, I think the path is really broken there.  I have to zoom to approx 250% before I start to see it.  But then I would zoom much more to see the nodes well enough.

While you can drag a selection box, to select the 2 end nodes, in this case, you'd end up selecting 3 nodes (because 2 are very close together.  I'm not sure what Inkscape would do if you tried to join 3 selected nodes.  It might work anyway.  But if it doesn't, you'll have to zoom far enough to see them (well enough to select them).
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline pawl

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 11:17:31 PM »
Hi Brynn,

I'll get to a longer reply re where the cutting ended up (or is ending up), but suffice to say they began the cutting once again yesterday and continued with it today. The problem areas were limited this time to the details of the trees, as might have been expected. I'd hoped that the plate was thin enough to accommodate their machine, but alas, not the case. Still so much to learn. One of the guys on that end said I need to make sure the file is made up of polylines, which was one of the things I did earlier this week. I've been trying so many things that I've not been able to keep track of them. Like a chef who has baked an elaborate dish and will not be able to retrace the steps to repeat the result.

Anyway, I'm glad to set it aside for a few weeks. I'll be sure to post pics of the finished products (the gates). And, for the next project that will need cutting, prepare to study more in hopes to find the straightest path from a to b.

Thanks again,

Paul