• April 19, 2018, 05:47:36 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Why is Dxf So slow and jittery on Cameo?? PLEASE HELP!!!  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Trance13

• Sr. Newbie
Why is Dxf So slow and jittery on Cameo?? PLEASE HELP!!!
« on: January 12, 2018, 02:38:04 AM »
{{ its a little long question is towards bottom }}  OK so im using Inkscape to make my own detailed stencils for airbrushing as well as airbrushing the vinyl to make awesome vinyl decals. Now im not new to Silhouette cameo (Ive had the Cameo 2 for over a year now) But im new to Inkscape (been using it for 2 days) as well as dxf png svg (sadly cant use svg for I have the Free Studio program and too poor for the upgrade). Ive found (on my own after many attempts)  that using ROBO-master type of spline output causes the silhouette studio to freeze up on generating cut path. Saving on Lwpolyline type of line output works. But When I send to Cameo it takes a bit to load and then.... FOREVER TO CUT... Its slow and jittery when it cuts. Its almost as if it stutters and pauses to cut more so on tight curves and points.

Now to figure it out Ive taken the image ive made and saved it as a dxf and a png. I trace the png in SS and try to get the best looking trace I can (lets be real.. Not the best trace program in SS haha ) Then do a side by side sketch of them to test out. The dxf takes 14 min!!! noisy jittery and slow... The png trace around 2 min smooth and well not as noisy. dxf is sharper and more detail.. png trace more rounded and loss of detail.

{{{{{{{{THE QUESTION!!}}}}}}}}

So all That comes down to this.. Is this how it runs dxf?? Or is it the settings Im using in Inkscape to save the dxf that does this?

Is there something I can change to make it run better? Or is it the image its self ??

ALSO!!! What is the difference Between Latin 1, CP 1250, CP 1252, and UTF 8 in the character encoding as well as the Layer export selection ?? What do they do?

Running
Inkscape v. O.92.2
Silhouette Studio v.4.1.206

Ill include the svg and the dxf of the image im using ( :fyi: Its a pot leaf I designed)

Best png trace settings (that ive found) for SS
Threshold 50.00
Highpass 13.00
Everything else leave 0
-Attachments and other options*Weed.dxf
(807.86 kB - downloaded 30 times)
*Weed.svg
(229.85 kB - downloaded 32 times)

If I move Ill add to the entropy of the universe .. I dont want to be the cause of the universe ending.. SO im just gonna sit and draw.  :wink1:

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Re: Why is Dxf So slow and jittery on Cameo?? PLEASE HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:43 AM »
The bad news is that curves in dxf files are ugly with excessive nodes and those excessive nodes are a problem for Silhouette Studio.  The good news is that the node simplification in the SS program is pretty decent (at least it was in earlier versions if they haven't messed it up in V4).  Use the node tool to select your artwork, then use the Simplify button to reduce the nodes.
SS Nodes.png
*SS Nodes.png
(33.79 kB . 440x355)
(viewed 236 times)

Also, I don't know what the default is, but in your SS preferences under Import, make sure that "join lines into polylines" is selected.
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 8.26.15 AM.png
*Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 8.26.15 AM.png
(38.87 kB . 706x574)
(viewed 233 times)

I don't know anything about the rest of your question, maybe Brynn will.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:23:30 AM by HeatherM »
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline Trance13

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »

The bad news is that curves in dxf files are ugly with excessive nodes and those excessive nodes are a problem for Silhouette Studio.  The good news is that the node simplification in the SS program is pretty decent (at least it was in earlier versions if they haven't messed it up in V4).  Use the node tool to select your artwork, then use the Simplify button to reduce the nodes.

THANK YOU. That did help out a bit on the simplify in SS... Sadly I lose a bit in the curves (makes them a bit to straight) not too noticeable at a glance (well to me it is.. even more so in a side by side sketch but im picky.. its a problem haha). I did not noticed All the nodes it had (2770 of them :-$).. Which may explain why its so slow and buggy. It was even causing SS to not respond for minuets at a time while it was trying to figure out what in the world to do with it. I Guess I just have to Watch what I make in Inkscape from now on a little ( ok ok.. a lot) more closely. Thank you again
If I move Ill add to the entropy of the universe .. I dont want to be the cause of the universe ending.. SO im just gonna sit and draw.  :wink1:

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:34:07 PM »
You're welcome.  :-)

Another option you could try is to export your artwork as a png file from Inkscape and trace in SS.  I haven't tried the trace in V4 so I don't know how well it works, but you could try it to see if you like the results better than the dxf version.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline Trance13

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:35:39 PM »

Another option you could try is to export your artwork as a png file from Inkscape and trace in SS.

I like the trace in V4 slightly better than V3. Still not the best but eh what can you do. I made a comment on that in the original on png trace settings

Threshold 50.00
Highpass 13.00
everything else left at 0

Seems to give the closest trace to the original image as it can for pretty much any png. Sill lose a bit of the sharpness and detail but it does in a pinch when you really need to get it cut out.   

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 01:23:25 AM »
I don't think there's much I can add here.  I don't use, or know much about cutters.  I just know Inkscape.  I'm not even sure which part of your question Heather is referring to, in the following.

I don't know anything about the rest of your question, maybe Brynn will.

But if you can clarify which problems are left, I'll be glad to try.

I had a look at your file.  (Let me guess....you're either in California, or your working for someone there, right?) :wink1:  Anyway, I don't see any immediate problems with it.  Was the Simplify which you and Heather were talking about in Inkscape, or in the cutter software?  If it was in Inkscape, I suspect you did not get good results, and I would probably suggest undoing it.  It would significantly distort the paths. 

I should also say that I'm looking at the SVG file.  I'm unable to open DXF files. (I never have figured out why, or how to fix it.)  So if the problem is not showing in the SVG, then I can't help.

There are a number of places where you could go through and manually delete some nodes.  Maybe get rid of a couple hundred nodes.  But would be a lot of work for not much improvement.

The path is about a simplified as it can get, really.  The large number of nodes is because of how the image is drawn.  It's sort like a fern, with all the intricate detail.  If it doesn't matter so much to you, that is has the see-through, fern-like detail, then a different type of image will probably work much better for you.

It would take a lot of explaining, but I could tell you how to use that image, and make the leaflets solid, instead of see-through.  Theoretically, the number of nodes could be cut in half.  Or maybe I could come up with a simple way.  Let me know, and I'll try. 

Or if you didn't really notice about the see-through-ness, and you want to just find a similar image which is already filled in, that would help with the problems created by the large number of nodes.

Another option you could try is to export your artwork as a png file from Inkscape and trace in SS.  I haven't tried the trace in V4 so I don't know how well it works, but you could try it to see if you like the results better than the dxf version.

Interesting!  I didn't realize that some cutter software includes trace engines (or vector features like simplify either).  Heather, have you noticed (at least in earlier versions) that the trace engines in cutter software do a better job than Inkscape's Trace Bitmap?

Hhmmm....  Oh wow, I tried Heather's suggestion, but with Inkscape's Trace Bitmap, instead of cutter software (which I don't have).  It results in a little bit of distortion, but not nearly as much as Simplify.  Depending on how you're going to use it, I would find the results totally acceptable. And it reduces the nodes by more than half!
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit