• November 18, 2017, 11:59:03 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: CNC alternator rotor cut-out project  (Read 2134 times)

Offline AAronvb

CNC alternator rotor cut-out project
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:46:43 AM »
This is my project with all of the parts Area. Stroke to path, visualize path, area.
Images wont cooperate, only lets me insert 1 and I'm not sure which one. P1010136.JPG
*P1010136.JPG
(2016.16 kB . 3264x2448)
(viewed 138 times)
work it out later

I was given a patent to an old VAWT alternator design, 20 years + expired.
over the past 10 years I have built 4 different size turbines with various charging methods, 2 permanent magnet, 1- bought from Other Power and 1- CD-drive motor. The alternator in the patent was cast aluminum, 4.5 ft. diameter disc with 90-1"x 2" magnets x2.

A few years back I purchased a 3040 CNC router X,Y,Z to cut out the scaled miniature rotor of the original. I have used inkscape to draw floor planes for another project not knowing I could also use it to generate Gcode. I found Nick on the use of creating G-code tools with inkscape. While Nick was active on the english forum I learned enough to start practicing and drawing.

Here I am. I can draw and set most perimeters, I'm missing something and I think it has to do with the correct Area settings. I'm really not sure. I did make a successful engraving of the rotor in 5 parts. I have not been able to duplicate that success but saved the good Gcode files. I have followed the Area tutorial to get the numbers you see in the images.

This frustrated me a year ago and I stopped working with this project.
I'm here to complete this CNC rotor project so I can finally do some real world testing on power out put.

I have also made a mold by hand of the rotor.

My Name is AAron.
I have no formal training in anything CNC and everything I know so far is from YouTube. cnc forums and continuous trial and error.

I'm here to ask for some assistance in completing my project.
Goal,
Figure out where I'm going wrong.
Correctly enter "Area settings" to create working gcode.
Correctly set the "Z" for multiple layer cuts.
To successfully generate the correct gcode to cut out all the shapes, either together or as individual files.
To share my progress with others who may have similar issues.

Equipment.
old PC-desktop with XP, with serial port connection to 3040 X,Y,Z cnc router.
MACH3 and inkscape.

Back to work.

AAron
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:49:29 PM by AAronvb »
I have confirmed that, I do not have a Mach3 issue, works great.
 I have confirmed that, I do not have a 3040 cnc problem, works great.
I do  have a problem converting my drawing to gcode with inkscape.

??Area width??

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: CNC alternator rotor cut-out project
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry for the delay getting your message approved - I've been out with the flu   :uhoh:

Oh wow!  To be honest, this sounds like more of an engineering project, than an Inkscape project.  So finding an Inkscape user with the right skills might take some time. 

But for now, you need to post somewhere else.  This forum was started to help people use Inkscape with the home/craft type of cutters (cutting paper  or cardboard, or sometimes vinyl).  I took over as owner/admin a couple of years ago, and have wanted to expand to the more industrial uses, such as CNC, but I can't seem to find people with those skills.

For now, you should post on InkscapeForum.com.  It's the largest Inkscape forum around, and the people who have the skills and experience will find you there, probably better than here.  (Although who knows, maybe your post will start to attract the right people here??)

Oh!  If you're using CNC, you're probably using some of the Gcodetools extensions?  You know there's a Russian forum run by the lead team member of the team which created the gcodetool extensions.  Oh wait - re-reading your message, I see you've already found them.  Why can't they help any further?  It seems like they should be able to.

If you still can't find much support, you could also try the Inkscape User mailing list - https://inkscape.org/en/community/mailing-lists/  Many more advanced users participate on  the mailing list, than participate in forums (sadly).

But again, it sounds like you might need some kind of engineering forum, or DIY site.  I saw a sort of diy forum/site some months ago that might help.  But I can't remember what it's called.  But I just did a web search for "diy cnc machine" and found a lot of results.   It's my own non-engineering background that makes me not understand clearly how Inkscape users can help.  But feel free to explain   :)

Out of curiosity, why it is inside the glass case?  Doesn't that make it hard to manipulate the products?  Or is that an illusion, and I'm picking up the reflections from the framed print (or maybe poster?) behind?  It looks like an old UNICEF poster that I've seen a long time ago!

Now that you can see your post, you'll probably realize that you've uploaded the same image 5 times.  Please feel free to edit  :)  (The edited message will go back into the approval queue, but as soon as your 2nd unique message is approved, you'll be done with needing approval.  I'll try to check often.) (And I realize the Preview feature doesn't work for the inline attachments, so I apologize for that.)

Offline AAronvb

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
Thank you brynn.
 I'm constantly looking for more info. The Russian forum is very helpful, me being the novice and them the experts, asking the correct question is the majority of my battle.
Iv'e been using inkscape for a while and I'm still learning the things I can do with the programs.

I'm not sure how all the images became the same one, I'll see if I can fix that straiten those out.

I live in an apartment and the Plexiglas is for dust control and yes its a bit of a pain. I'm not sure what the image represents, I got several at a yard sale 20 years ago. I always like the imagery and its always been in my dining rooms.

I'll hang out and learn and post my progress and failures.

??Area width??

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:50:05 PM »
The attachments feature can be a little confusing, I guess.  But once you see how it works....well, I don't think it's malfunctioning.  But if this doesn't work, let me know.

Click the Browse button to load the first one.  When it's loaded correctly, you'll see it above the Browse button, the file name, I mean, with a little checkbox beside it.  Then to load more, click "(more attachments)" which is right under the Browse button.  That will produce a new Browse button.  Then just continue along.  If I recall, 8 attachments are allowed for a single message, but it might actually be 10 or 12.

After they are all loaded, you can place your cursor where you want an attachment to show up, and click (Insert Attachment 1).  Move the cursor to the place where you want the next one, and click Insert Attachment 2, and along like that.  I've never been able to make attachments go side by side, and apparently there can only be one on a line.  But if you don't want them inline, you can skip inserting them, and they'll all show up at the bottom.

As I said, the message Preview (if you use it) does'nt show the attachments, so it's not much help.  But you're through the approval system, so your message will post immediately, and you'll see it.

Now that I see the attachment that's showing now, it looks really familiar.  Is there a chance you've posted it on InkscapeForum already, in the past?  It's just really familiar, for some reason.

Offline AAronvb

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:11:25 AM »
I have posted my project in several places so I'm sure you have seen this.

These are the steps I'm using from Scottandsimon youtube.

Everything works up to the "AREA"
when applied the lines cut path lines go everywhere except in the item to be cut.
1. Import clean or make new SVG file.
2. Select all - Path - Object to path
3. View - Display - Outline
4. Extension - Gcodetools - orentation points - 2 point mode ?? MM or inch ?? - Apply
5  Extension - Gcodetools - Tool Library - cylnder - adjust tool diamiter and feed rate
?
6. Extension - Gcodetools - Area - ( figure Area on seperate page) - Select all - set Area _ Apply
1 pizza and dice.jpg
*1 pizza and dice.jpg
(281.43 kB . 1280x1024)
(viewed 107 times)

?
7. Select All - Object - Ungroup
8. Select all - Path - Object to path -
9. Select all - Path - Combine
10 Extension - Gcodetools - Path-to-gcode - set preferance (Gcode file location) " Z'height and Post processor
11.That should work ??? 
12. Open cam program and test generated Gcode.

??Area width??

Offline AAronvb

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 07:27:04 AM »

This is the turbine the alternator was designed for.
PC190093.JPG
*PC190093.JPG
(1906.74 kB . 1920x2560)
(viewed 111 times)
[ Invalid Attachment ]

??Area width??