• December 17, 2018, 01:16:47 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Help Using Inkscape / Re: Can’t find the update button
« Last post by brynn on November 23, 2018, 12:05:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

I think you might be confused, either about what you're doing, or what Inkscape is doing.  But I'm definitely confused about what you're doing.

When you use Make a bitmap copy, you are making a PNG image of whatever was selected, which presumably would be some vector paths (because why would you make a bitmap copy of something that was already a bitmap (raster image)).

Then you move the raster copy over, and delete the vector paths.  Am I following you so far?

Then you switch to outline mode, and all you can see is a red X.  That's because you have deleted the paths, and that's what outline mode does - it displays only the paths, and doesn't display any fills or gradients or filters or etc.  It only displays the paths.  All you have left is a PNG image, so it can't be displayed, thus, the red X.

And now, this is where I'm really confused.  Now you want to use Trace Bitmap, which is a tool for converting a raster image to vector paths.  But you just had vector paths a minute ago, and you deleted them.  So you can see my confusion.

If you really do want to trace the PNG image, you'll need to switch back to Normal view mode.

However, you could use the original vector contents, rather than delete them.

Please feel free to clarify, if I've misunderstood something.
Help Using Inkscape / Can’t find the update button
« Last post by floridatom on November 22, 2018, 05:12:51 AM »
Ok newbie here and this is what I’m trying to do I follow these steps
Make bitmap copy
Move copy over and delet image under it then more copy back into canvas
Go to view/display mode/outline
Path/trace bitmap/click update
Close box move red X off image and save file

My problem is I don’t get the box too pop open to see preview and to click on update
Help Using Inkscape / Re: Inkscape not finishing a cut !
« Last post by brynn on November 04, 2018, 06:17:37 AM »
I don't see anything about the path which might cause this.  It appears to be properly closed, with no open ends.  And the scale looks fine.  But I do find that there are several groups and nested groups in the file.  Also there's a clipping path, which could be confusing the cutter.

Try selecting the object in Inkscape, then click Ungroup (this button on the command bar :gr: ) a few times, until the status bar says "No groups to ungroup".

This will cause the award path and the rectangle path to be separate objects.  If you still need the rectangle path, and you still need it to be connected with the award path, then do Ctrl + a (select all) and then Path menu > Combine.  If it doesn't necessarily need to be connected with the award paths, then only do the ungrouping.

Then send it to the cutter and try again.   :xf1:
« Last post by deanotune on November 02, 2018, 09:38:18 PM »
Hi Brynn. Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Here is a pick of one of the cuts . The circled bit should be joined but it stops about 10mm short. I have attached the file as well so if you get a chance to look at it that would be appreciated.
Its driving me nuts !
« Last post by brynn on October 28, 2018, 06:06:55 AM »
The only thing that I can think to do, would be to examine a file which is having this problem.  I have not heard of any problem like this, so I can't report anything about it.  I woud only be able to look at a file which is showing the problem, and also need to know where exactly the cutter is stopping in that particular file (which might give me further clue).

I might guess it could be related to having the Scale set wrong, in case you're using verion 0.92.  But it would be easier to see a file to learn about that as well.
« Last post by deanotune on October 28, 2018, 12:00:49 AM »
Hi Brynn. Thanks for the reply. No particular file. Lets say I have  some simple text. I convert it to a path and send to the cutter. The cutter cuts the whole thing until it gets to the end when it stops a few mm from the end. Sometimes only 2-3mm sometimes 10+mm. A message comes up on the display of the cutter that says 'waiting'. All the nodes of the text seem to connect and there is no visible spaces.

Signblazer is an old cutting program that I have used for many years (Similar to UScutter I believe but I have never used that software). Im dumping windows soon and going the linux route but for now I am still using windows 10 with inkscape.

Thanks again for your input
Regards
Dean

Forum Issues, News, Announcements / the future of this forum
« Last post by brynn on October 27, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
Hi Friends,
When I adopted this forum a few years ago, I really just wanted to keep it open because some members had expressed that they didn't want to lose the tutorials and other helpful contents.

I was also hoping we might be able to revive it, by providing support for what I think of as more industrial  type cutters, such as CNC and those that use gcode or that are found in those makerspace type of workshops, and etc.  However, doing that would have depended on attracting such users who could actually provide that kind of support (since no one else here already has such knowledge). 

I was able to learn a little bit (about the Inkscape gcode extensions) on my own, by using a cutter simulator.  But we haven't really attracted any users with this kind of knowledge, who have stuck around.  I find myself needing to refer people to the other forums, more and more often, because we don't seem to know the answers here.

Meanwhile, regarding the other Inkscape forums - my other one, Inkscape Community, and the de facto "official" forum, InkscapeForum.com, there is an expected shakeup coming down the road, and I suspect pretty soon (next few months).  The Inkscape project has recently acquired it's own server.  (Yay!)  And the forum community is looking to start a new forum there.  Whether we use the contents of one of the other forums as a starting place, or whether we just start from scratch, we don't know yet.

But in any case, whenever this shakeup happens, I think will be a good time to "retire" this forum, and divert it's traffic to the new official forum, where there either already is (in case we use one of the existing forums to start the new one) or there will be (in case we start the new forum from scratch) a special board for cutter/plotter questions.  So there will still be a place for cutter users to get help.

As for the contents of this forum, rather than just close it down and lose everything, it could be put into read-only mode.  Read-only mode is exactly what it sounds like.  Visitors can still visit and navigate around, copy stuff, and still find all the contents (and I think still click links).  It's just you won't be able to post messages, or even log in.

So I wanted to find out if members are ready to close this forum yet, or whether read-only mode would be preferred?  There is so little activity, it's really not worth the effort to keep it updated anymore.

If you have any comments, please reply  :)
« Last post by brynn on October 27, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure if I can help, since I don't actually use any cutters.  But I know Inkscape quite well.

Well, Inkscape isn't actually driving the cutter.  Inkscape just provides the paths for the cutter to read and cut on.

What is signblazer, how does this comparison work?  Is it a different kind of cutting machine, or is it a drawing program?

Can you share a file which is having this problem, along with a screenshot showing where it stops cutting?  I'm thinking maybe a path is not closed properly or something like that.
Help Using Inkscape / Inkscape not finishing a cut !
« Last post by deanotune on October 27, 2018, 01:51:07 AM »
Hi folks. Just getting my head around inscape and so far its been pretty good.

Running win10 64bit and using a 10 year old kingcut cutter that still works as well as it did when I bought it!

My problem is I get the designs all done and sent to the cutter but it never finishes the cut. Sometimes it misses the end by a few mm sometimes by 10+ mm . The display on the cutter says waiting..... 

Any ideas? These designs cut fine using signblazer.
Inkscape Tutorials - Beginners / MOVED: Masking
« Last post by brynn on October 24, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10