• July 17, 2018, 05:23:26 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Forum Issues, News, Announcements / temporary changes
« Last post by brynn on July 12, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
Hi Friends,
I need to make a temporary change to the forum, for diagnostic purpose, for troubleshooting an error we've been getting.  So the block on the top of the panel on the left side of the index page will disappear for a while.  It's the one that's called "Me and My Stuff".

I'm not sure how long it will be missing.  Maybe a couple of weeks.  But it doesn't contain anything that you can't do somewhere else.  So there's no real loss.

But let me know if it causes anyone any problems, and I can tell you where to find what you need.

Thanks for your patience  :)
Discuss Ongoing Projects (Work in Progress) / Re: Help with a logo
« Last post by cleversomeday on July 03, 2018, 06:35:22 PM »
You can fill your shapes with hatching using the Axidraw extension. I find this to be the easiest method
https://wiki.evilmadscientist.com/Axidraw_Software_Installation
Thank you so much for your patience and help. I figured it's not gonna be an easy task, my logic told me so :hmm: And thanks for reminding me how to use intersection and clipping! :ur:
Sigh!

Ok, now that I finally understand what you're asking, that would take someone who knows math very well, or who just is good at visually picking out the new pattern unit, which is created after you've made the array.  It will be different, every time you use a different tiling pattern.  Once you figure out what it is for a particular tiling pattern, it should be the same every time you use that tiling pattern. (By "tiling pattern" I mean the Symmetry tab, in Tiled Clones dialog).

Plus, intersection won't work for that at all.  You'll need to use clipping.

Here's how clipping works.

-- draw a rectangle or square, or whatever you want the shape to be
 -- place it over top of the array
 -- select both
 -- Object menu > Clip > Set

Note that this will not create a seamless pattern.  But probably by the time it's printed on the fabric, the gap won't be noticable.

I've taken the liberty to look at the spoonflower website, to try and figure out what the heck you're trying to do.  You might be able to modify the technique described in this article:  https://blog.spoonflower.com/2018/01/how-to-create-a-seamless-repeat-from-a-drawing/ to work for you in Inkscape.

Or you might try posting on the main Inkscape website, where there are a lot more advanced users, who are more likely to know the maths.  Maybe someone there can give you some kind of system for placing the square or whatever it is.  InkscapeForum.com  (just don't use "seamless" in your description, or you'll get the same answer as I gave you at first)
I know there is no such thing as cropping in inkscape, the intersection tutorial is what I meant. And thanks for reminding me how to use intersection! I know you can’t change that shape into a square without modifying or cutting its design. But that is not the shape that I wanna put in a square anyways. It’s the black rectangle I draw on top of the second design I posted. Which is also a rectangle and not a square and I’m also aware that I can’t transform it into a square unless I cut it or “squeeze” it. I was just saying maybe Spoonflower will let me upload a rectangle and not necessarily a square.
So that shaped that you intersect for me it’s not what I care about, that was just a base shape that helped me make those crazy wheels or doily or whatever you wanna call it. The full doily image is what I need to crop(intersect) into a perfect square or rectangle(in case they will allow me to upload a rectangle on that websites, if not the whole design is lost), so that when multiplied it will show exactly the big picture that I showed, but its length can go on and on and on. Meaning, if you count those wheels, there are 8 on each row and there are 4 rows, right? Well I want to make 8000 wheels on 4000 rows and that’s impossible without my computer crashing or any computer crashing probably and it’s also impossible to transform that image that will have 15 gygabytes probably into PNG, again without the computer crashing.
« Last post by brynn on June 21, 2018, 06:06:44 AM »
If those specific fonts are important, then you'll probably want to use Path menu > Trace Bitmap.

If the fonts are not very important, then I would use the Pen tool, and trace the logo.  Then use the Text tool and type the text using as similar fonts as you can find.

But I'm guessing those are very specific fonts that you probably must use.  I would think that using the Brightness Cutoff option in the Trace Bitmap dialog, using the default Threshold setting, should be sufficient, to get a good result.

That means that you can just import the JPG, select it, open Path menu > Trace Bitmap, make sure Brightness Cutoff is selected, and click OK.

The results will be created precisely on top of the original.  The results will probably be black, so since your original is green, you'll probably notice it.  But when the original is black, a lot of people don't realize that anything happened.

This will give you the paths that you need for cutting.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean about things being filled.  Do you mean that you want to engrave that image into a larger piece of wood, rather than cut it out of a piece of wood?  That probably comes under the subject of learning how your machine works.  Do you know what kind of file format you need?  Does the machine use gcode, or some other code?  Have you successfully made any test runs, or anything like that?

This forum was originally created to help people use the home/craft type of cutter (such as Cricut).  Now that we have these more industrial type of cutters - laser, plasma, CNC, etc, the people who used to participate here don't know as much about these newer kinds of cutters.  In fact, I may be putting this forum into read-only mode, and re-directing traffic to the main Inkscape forum, sometime in the next year.  Because most of the messages we get now, are for the newer kinds of cutters.

Although having said that, I participate in all the Inkscape forums, and I'm not sure if I've ever heard of gravograph.  So I'm not sure if anyone in the other forums could help with the machine itself.  If it uses gcode, Inkscape does have extensions for that.  I've learned a little bit about them, but the developers who made them are no longer providing support for them.  So I get stuck myself, after a point.  And Inkscape can save in a lot of different formats, if all the machine needs is a special format.

Do you have documentation for the machine?  Or found any on the internet?
There's no such thing as cropping, in Inkscape. What I'll show you is how to use Intersection.

Somehow either I'm not getting this message across to you.  Or you haven't explained what you want, successfully, to me.  If you cut that rectangular pattern into a square, you won't get the same resulting design.  There will be absolutely no way to cut anything off of this pattern unit, and still get the exact same overall design as a result.

Maybe you'll just have to try it for yourself.  It's not too hard to cut it into a square....at least not this particular pattern.  Some patterns will be very hard to do cut.  In fact, I was suprised that this technique worked with this pattern.

I'll tell you how I did the example I showed.  But it probably would go better for you, to come up with a different workflow, where you start with the square, and don't go outside of it.

Note that this will not make a seamless pattern.  If you line the resulting units up side by side, you'll probably see a gap between them.  But as long as you are overlapping the units, like the examples you showed, it won't matter.

Attached is a little tutorial.  Click on it to make it bigger.
Yes @brynn, I wanted to mention that I realized the pattern unit is not a square, which makes things more complicated. But let’s say Spoonflower or other websites let me upload it this way. The problem was how I crop it? That square was set there(approximately) through Paint. I think I saw a tutorial on how you can crop in inkscape so I’m sure it won’t be very difficult. But the difficult part is how I crop it precisely, so it will look like the full image when multiplied? And I’m afraid the answer to that is just a lot of patience and and free time to consume on the matter.

@cleversomeday you’re right, I guess it’s a lesson to be learned, but it sucks that I made so many cool patterns (or at least that’s what I think) and 2 collections, and now I can only use them by exporting them as big PNG files and print them on different clothing, and not be able to actually print them as a fabric roll.
« Last post by gsgravering on June 20, 2018, 01:27:31 AM »
LogoMaltheWinje.jpg
*LogoMaltheWinje.jpg
(47.81 kB . 836x165)
(viewed 32 times)

I will try again with the attachment. It is a .jpeg file so it should work
« Last post by brynn on June 14, 2018, 06:54:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

It looks like something went wrong with your file attachment.  Can you try it again?  What kind of file is it?  Not every possible type of file is allowed, but most image formats are allowed.

It's hard to explain what you need to do, to vectorize the image, without knowing exactly what's in the file.  If it's a raster format (JPG, GIF, PNG, etc.) you'll probably have 2 choices - either auto-trace (Path menu > Trace Bitmap) or trace the outline "manually" using Inkscape's path tools, usually the Pen/Bezier tool.  It depends mostly on the complexity of the image, whether you auto trace or hand trace.  But also personal preference would be part of the decision.

Well, I might be able to say more, when I can see the file and examine its contents.  But that's the general idea.

Oh, and also, don't miss the Help menu.  If you need to learn how to use Inkscape, Help menu Shapes, Basic and Advanced.  Don't worry, the one called "advanced" isn't really advanced.  In fact, it's an introduction to the kind of tools you'll need, if you need to manually trace something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10