• November 18, 2017, 11:59:42 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Screen Capture.  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Screen Capture.
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
This topic is not necessarily an Inkscape question but it is one many members would like to know how to do.
I know there are many ways screen capture can be achieved. I will explain the two methods I use as a Windows 7 user. Could other members please add how they achieve a screen capture to help newer members?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Screen Capture.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »
If you use Window 7 or the premium edition of Vista there is a snipping tool available and it is easy to use. To find the snipping tool on your computer, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Snipping Tool. To make life easier I then place the icon for the snipping tool on my lower taskbar. Alternatively it can be pinned to your start menu. If you looked at the attached screenshots it should make sense.

The first screenshot shows the path to locate the snipping tool.
The second screenshot shows where to locate the snipping tool if you choose to pin it to the taskbar.

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »
I mainly use the snipping tool to capture images on my screen. However, sometimes that is not possible, I then use print screen.

I use a laptop and have to press the fn key (function key) and then the prt sc key (print screen key) and it takes a screenshot of the entire computer window. The screenshot image is now in the computer's clipboard and can be pasted into a program such as Inkscape, Irfanview or Microsoft Word for further editing.

I think on some computers you can just press the prt sc key (print screen) to capture the screen. Hopefully someone else can help answer this question.

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:35:52 AM »
Hi Carolyn

This goes some way to answering my question about showing a picture on the Barbie thread and this is probably a better place to talk about it rather than hijacking the clothes challenge.  I have now used the snipping tool, I wondered that what that did, and can save it as png or jpeg but what I still cannot do is insert that picture INTO a post so that anyone can see it while reading the post.  I can attach it as a file but that has to be clicked into to open.  I want to display the picture inside the post.  I can do prt screen but cannot paste into the post.  I'm obviously missing something very simple as people can do it all the time!

Ruth
Ruth

Craft Robo  Windows 7  Inkscape 0.48

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 02:32:06 AM »
Hi Ruth, I always add images as an attachment.

I understand what you mean and it is a good idea. It frustrates me as well that an image cannot be placed next to the appropriate piece of text. I had not thought of looking into another way to add an image within a post. I have just tried a few things and they did not work, such as cut and paste. I will keep trying to find a way this can be achieved. I will let you know if I have any luck.

If anyone who has more experience in forums knows of a way this can be done, please feel free to help out.

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:27:52 AM »
so does that mean if I attach my png or jpeg it will show up to anyone reading the post without them having to open it?  Will try it when I stop for lunch.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:44:25 AM »
Yes, that is correct. Attach a png or jpeg just like attaching a file and it is visible on the post. You just can't nominate where it goes and it will always be after any text you write.

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:10:33 AM »
OK   I'll try it with Ken's shorts
Ruth
Ruth

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:13:20 AM »
Success!  Thank you.  A bit big but they're there.

Thanks again

Ruth
Ruth

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
There is a button you can use that will position the image within your text/post.  After you add the image place the cursor where you want the image in your post, and then click on the button next to your image name (OK, I forgot to circle the button in the image, but it's in the upper right quarter of my image).

inline images.PNG
*inline images.PNG
(6.01 kB . 333x149)
(viewed 116 times)

Also, you can export an image directly from Inkscape very easily.  I made a tutorial a while ago that I posted on the SCAL forum.

This works well for images, screen shots, and svg files. 
To use this for svg's select all of the parts you want included in the exported image, then continue from step 2.
To use this for screen shots, after step 2, draw a rectangle over the portion you want to keep.  Select the screen shot and the rectangle, then from the menu, Object/Clip/Set.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:53:23 PM by brynn »
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips,
Occasionally use Illustrator CS5

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »
Heather, thanks for the information regarding images in a post. It will be good to have a bit more control.

Let me guess, did you take that photo in Yosemite?

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 05:28:04 AM »
Yep.  We were there twice, both times in October.  Next time I would really like to go some other month of the year.   :lol:
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips,
Occasionally use Illustrator CS5