• December 11, 2017, 06:09:57 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cutting punchcards for punchcard knitting machines stitch patterns cards  (Read 4424 times)

Offline RumpledSilkSkeins

• Sr. Newbie
Inkscape and Silhouette Cameo 2 to the rescue!

Antique and vintage knitting machines are quite hardy beasts and work horses to boot. Some machines from the 1940's still easily and beautifully produce knit items and fabric as easy today as they did 75 years ago. but owners that use punchcards to expand their machine's repertoire of stitch patterns need the capability to produce new/replacement punchcards for their machines. Additionally, a new generation is discovering the usefulness of these machines but are finding that locating or purchasing antique punchcards is not easy. I am one such new owner... So I set about designing my own cut files for cutting out new punchcards for my beloved and versatile antique and vintage machines. I used Inkscape to design the svg file with precisely placed holes for the patterning fingers on the machines to read the new punchcards... cut on the Silhouette Cameo 2.

However, I am having a challenge to import/open the svg files (I've tried multiple formats) in Silhouette Studio Designer Edition +. The files open shrunken in size. only a couple of times have they opened full sized. Any foolproof words of advice for easy importation?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:50:00 AM by RumpledSilkSkeins »

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Cutting punchcards for punchcard knitting machines stitch patterns cards
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:08:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum!   :w1:

Oh yes, that sounds like a great solution!  I saw something on tv recently about those old knitting machines....although I think it was a loom (weaving rather than knitting) in the show I saw.  When the SVG files open and are "shrunken",  have you determined whether they are the actual correct size, but zoomed out?  Or are the objects actually smaller by width/height?

It could be that the SC2 machine's software has a different native resolution than Inkscape.  But probably not, since they did open correctly a couple of times. 

When you say a couple of times the files opened correctly, do you mean there are a couple of files which always open correctly?  Or do you mean that the same file might sometimes open correctly and sometimes not?

If some files always open correctly, and other files never do, that could be a clue to the problem.  What was different about those files?

If that's the case, are they always smaller by the same ratio?

If you don't mind sharing the files, you could attach the 2 which opened correctly and 1 or 2 which don't.  Then we could help you investigate.

However, if one certain file might sometimes open correctly but other times not, you probably need to be looking for certain options or settings.

Although, I should say that I don't have any experience with cutting machines -- only with Inkscape.  Maybe some of the pros here already know the answer?
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline RumpledSilkSkeins

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 01:14:26 PM »
The resizing is intermittent and random... most the svg file open shrunken (proportional but shrunken). But I am working around that by including the needed size in mm as text in the svg! HA! so that the user can select all and then resize to the correct size within the die cutter software. Inkscape has been a Champ! it is strictly the fault of the die cutter software!

Sorry, I mistook the "for cutting design" to mean for Cutting designs (out). but it is a new use for Inkscape svg files  :wink1: and a very good use at that-- as well as inovative and useful-- as well as upcycling perfectly good working vintage machines that can be put back into harness again with new designs--- I plan on cutting an Eeyore¬© design to knit on a shirt!! that was never available... before!

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »
Sorry, I mistook the "for cutting design" to mean for Cutting designs (out).

Oh yes, that is what it means!  I recently took over as owner/admin for this forum.  I know Inkscape pretty well, and I saw the value of this forum, and didn't want all the great info to be lost.  So when it was about to close, I offered to keep it going.  So even though I personally don't know much about cutter machines, most if not all the other members do!  I'm sure they'll reply, and maybe someone will even know a solution for this?

I think this is an awesome idea, with putting the old machines to new use!  And I guess you can even make brand new designs that might not have been available when the machines were first used.

How did you happen to hear about and acquire these machines?  How fast can they make a product?  I imagine those manufacturers (of clothing, rugs, fabric, whatever) must have had like a warehouse full of those machines, although I'm only guessing.  Is your machine human powered?  Or is it driven by electricity?

Do you have a website where people can download the cutting files and/or designs, or the buy the finished products?
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »
Check your preferences in SSDE to see if it will let you choose a DPI for svg files.  Inkscape uses 90dpi.  I'm not sure that's the problem though since your files are opening small and not consistent.  Also, the standard version of Studio has an import option for gsd/dxf that includes "fit to page."  I would look through the preferences to see if there is something that might be causing the changes in size.  Unfortunately, I don't have the Designer Edition, so I can't play with it to see what might work. 
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips,
Occasionally use Illustrator CS5

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »
SSDE doesn't all you to change dpi, but it's looking for 72 so an 80% scaling usually gets you back where you need to be, assuming it was correct in Inkscape.
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com