• December 11, 2017, 06:04:46 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Inkspace svg file not working on cricut?  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Stephaniebarnesmiller

Inkspace svg file not working on cricut?
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
I'm new to this board and new to inkspace. I converted a jpg file to svg in Inkspace.
When I tried to upload it into the cricut design space an error message came up saying the file was
"Unsupported". I'm using safari/Mac. Anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to covert a jpg file
To svg in Inkspace that is supported in design space?
Thx tons!
Stephanie

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Inkspace svg file not working on cricut?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:06:00 AM »
When you say you converted a JPG to SVG in Inkscape, exactly how did you do it?  If you simply imported the JPG and saved as SVG, then it's not the kind of file that's needed.  That's because SVG files can contain both raster and vector contents.  By saving as SVG, all you did was save the JPG inside the SVG file.  But it was not converted to vector paths, which is the format needed to cut.

If you can show us the JPG image, we can suggest the best way to convert it to paths.

Or if you'd rather work through it on your own, I wrote a series of tutorials explaining how to convert raster images to vector, for whatever various reasons people need to do that.  You can find them here:  https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?action=articles;cat=6
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline snoopisa

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 08:09:43 AM »
Yes, it should work if you converted it into vectorial paths.

Also, be carefull when you create some words in Inkscape - Dont forget to converts them into path otherwise Design Space won't import them.

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »
If you quote the entire error message it will tell us exactly what the issue is in most cases but in general
-bitmaps much be converted to vectors (path>trace bitmap)
-text must be converted to path (path>union)
and sometimes these are done and you still get the error in which case it can be ignored and the file will open properly to the mat in CDS
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com

Offline HappyDesinger

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »
I have the same issue with the 92 version of Inkscape, the 91 version worked fine.  I convert a PNG file using the path Tracebit map feature, then I save the file as a standard svg.  The 92 verision is creating files that give the following error message when trying to upload
"The uploaded SVG contained the following items that are not supported: Unsupported image type".  I went back to the 91 version of Inkscape to resolve the issue.

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:13:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

The same issue?  After re-reading this topic, it doesn't sound like any particular issue has been found.  The op hasn't ever been back.  If you mean the title, "not working"  could mean a million different things, and is not helpful to anyone.

The error message you reported sounds like it must be from cricut?  Unfortunately, that doesn't help us figure out what's happening in Inkscape.

If you could share the SVG file, we could look at it, to try and find the problem.  I haven't heard of any problems with Trace Bitmap in 0.92.  And I don't know of any differences between 0.91 and 0.92 that should be causing this.  That doesn't mean there aren't any.  But we can't sort anything out without seeing an SVG file which is causing the problem.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit