• October 23, 2017, 08:04:51 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cricut & laser cutter user  (Read 2117 times)

Offline quantum7

• Sr. Newbie
  • Mac OS X 10.12.5 Mac OS X 10.12.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.101 Chrome 60.0.3112.101
Cricut & laser cutter user
« on: August 24, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
Hello! I've been looking for a place to discuss vector designs for cutting. This forum doesn't seem to be particularly active nowadays, but perhaps I can start some discussions.

I consider myself an intermediate to advanced Inkscape user, and it is my primary tool for vector design. I have a Cricut Explorer, so some of my designs integrate cutting, pen designs, and printable raster images. I also have access to a laser cutter, so I've done some CNC designs (cutting + raster etching).
macOS; Inkscape; Cricut Explorer, Laser cutter

Offline brynn

• Administrator
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 54.0 Firefox 54.0
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Cricut & laser cutter user
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 02:43:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum (again)!

Yes, in recent years, it seems the native software for cutting machines has improved to the point where people don't need Inkscape as much anymore.  Although I suspect that those who have already learned Inkscape will not be giving it up!  Anyway, I would say that's probably why this forum is not as active as it once was.

I would love to see this forum become more active.  Especially with CNC, there doesn't seem to be much support on the internet for it.  I'm guessing that people are finding tutorials and resources through woodcutting or other industrial type cutting forums.  Or maybe in makerspace/hackerspace or fablab type of workshops.  But it would be great to gain more members using Inkscape for those machines.  In fact, I've been itching to write tutorials for the Gcodetools extensions.  It's just that not having such a machine, or even access to one, I can only use a simulator to test the code. And I'm having a hard time finding someone who could teach me about it, at least enough to write tutorials.

It's a rather unfortunate situation with the Gcodetools.  Apparently the authors of those extensions are not available to provide support.  So it's very frustrating to me me when we get questions about it, which not only we, but I'm not sure who could answer them.  It ends up being more about the blind leading the blind.

I even sometimes have questions about managing this forum.  While I know Inkscape pretty well (I own/admin Inkscape Community, and long time member of InkscapeForum.com, and moderator and sometimes editor of Inkscape.org) I don't own any type of cutting machine.  But when the original owner of this site was ready to move on, and members expressed wanting to keep the forum open because of all the great tutorials, and I had space available, I offered to take it on.  (Although in some ways, I'm learning as I go, with admin-ing websites, haha.)

So welcome aboard, and jump right in!