• April 21, 2019, 10:53:06 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Design question  (Read 5478 times)

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
Design question
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »
Hopefully the picture comes up...does anyone know how to create this type of card...is there a tutorial out there to show me how to create Happy Birthday, etc at the fold line on outside of the card, preferably at the top edge.  Thank you for any help...would like instructions on how to create this type of card.

Carolyn
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:19:51 AM by brynn »

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
Re: Design question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:24:18 AM »
HI Carolyn

Is is a little difficult to see from the picture - is the text cut out of the card? but attached at the bottom edge ?

If so the answer is to create the card the height that will fit into the envelope you have less the height you want the text to be

Create the text,  overlap the top of the card with the text , then select both and do Path/Union, if you have the two parts different colours it is easier to see that text has unioned properly because it all changes to the same colour

hb card.PNG
*hb card.PNG
(30.93 kB . 876x572)
(viewed 423 times)

Then create the back of the card either same height as total or smaller and union that - et voila !

*HAPPY BIRTHDAY.svg
(8.15 kB - downloaded 83 times)

if you want to scallop the bottom edge that you can place circles along the edge and union those - there is a video on tiled clones that Carolyn made which shows an easy way to do that effect

Pandora
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:20:51 AM by brynn »
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
The Happy Birthday (lettering) is not placed along the edge...that I can do...it's cut out of where you fold the card in half and it pops up...when you fold the card in half, the lettering will be along that folded edge...just was wondering there is a technique to doing this.  

Carolyn Smith

Quote from: "newbiecat"
HI Carolyn

Is is a little difficult to see from the picture - is the text cut out of the card? but attached at the bottom edge ?

If so the answer is to create the card the height that will fit into the envelope you have less the height you want the text to be

Create the text,  overlap the top of the card with the text , then select both and do Path/Union, if you have the two parts different colours it is easier to see that text has unioned properly because it all changes to the same colour

[attachment=0:3cy44a31][/attachment]hb card.PNG[/attachment:3cy44a31]
Then create the back of the card either same height as total or smaller and union that - et voila ! [attachment=1:3cy44a31][/attachment]HAPPY BIRTHDAY.svg[/attachment:3cy44a31]

if you want to scallop the bottom edge that you can place circles along the edge and union those - there is a video on tiled clones that Carolyn made which shows an easy way to do that effect

Pandora
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »
Hi Carolyn, I was thinking along the same track as Pandora, until you added further information. It had me stumped for a while until I remembered my 'raised butterfly wings', tutorial. The aim is the same, to only have part of the design cut out. I then tried a few things and below is my attempt at creating a card with a word that will will cut out partially so the text can stand up when the card is folded.

Shown below is how I would approach the task.
If anyone has created this type of project before or knows of another method, please feel free to add to this topic.

hbc1.JPG
*hbc1.JPG
(32.5 kB . 464x200)
(viewed 320 times)

hbc2.JPG
*hbc2.JPG
(27.37 kB . 489x154)
(viewed 277 times)

hbc3.JPG
*hbc3.JPG
(38.43 kB . 697x177)
(viewed 280 times)

hbc4.JPG
*hbc4.JPG
(27.29 kB . 475x176)
(viewed 292 times)

hbc5.JPG
*hbc5.JPG
(32.19 kB . 526x201)
(viewed 330 times)

hbc6.JPG
*hbc6.JPG
(53.67 kB . 671x241)
(viewed 386 times)

hbc7.JPG
*hbc7.JPG
(44.74 kB . 671x224)
(viewed 348 times)

hbc8.JPG
*hbc8.JPG
(38.65 kB . 514x476)
(viewed 411 times)

I will try to find the time to create a video showing the steps within the next few days. I am sure this method could be used for many interesting projects.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:22:46 AM by brynn »

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:54:21 AM »
Only just saw the extra information - thanks Carolyn - where do you think it would be best to put the fold line

Along the bottom edge of Happy Birthday to each side ?

Pandora
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
Along the bottom edge of Happy Birthday to each side...

Thank you...I will try this tomorrow...

Carolyn S.

Quote from: "newbiecat"
Only just saw the extra information - thanks Carolyn - where do you think it would be best to put the fold line

Along the bottom edge of Happy Birthday to each side ?

Pandora

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:07:25 AM »
I'm at the Select  the text and rectangle...

and I do the Cut-Path...and lose the text

I'm doing something wrong, I'm sure...

I have the text placed where I would like it to be...

Is there a step that I am missing?

Carolyn S.

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »
Yay...woohoo...I may have it figured out...next time the line stoke color will be changed so I can see what I am doing...

Thank you.

Carolyn S.

Quote from: "cmsmith60"
I'm at the Select  the text and rectangle...

and I do the Cut-Path...and lose the text

I'm doing something wrong, I'm sure...

I have the text placed where I would like it to be...

Is there a step that I am missing?

Carolyn S.

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
I cut out the card on construction paper which may be why it's not folding correctly, but I DON'T like the back of the card...all the openings from the cutting ... it leaves openings where the letters were placed at.  Only solution right now, is if I use this card style, to cover the openings with a piece of cards stock .... I will go back in to add fold lines...forgot to do that ... not sure if exporting to scal 3 will include those lines in the exporting.  

Carolyn S.

Thank you for your help...appreciate it..

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:15:47 PM »
I had a think about the back of the card and how untidy it can look and tried a slightly different method of finishing the card.   Along the base of the letters where the hashed line would be (excluding the base of the letters), I turned it into a cut line and also drew a cut line round the top of the greeting.   This does leave quite a large hole but it is not so raggedy.  An insert might help but I feel on the card that I cut it may have been better to make the card in two parts, ie the front with the upstanding greeting and the back with perhaps a one centimeter "flap" to adhere to the back of the front section.  I hope that makes sense.  Here a couple of photos showing what I did to my card.  I shall also upload the svg file in case anyone would like to use it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:24:38 AM by brynn »
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »
It looks great a very lovely card
Pandora - new grandson arrived so everything on hold for a bit !

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
Techno Mom, Love your card, congratulations of coming up with a solution. I played with the challenge for over an hour and came up with pretty much what you did as the only answer and I too was not happy with the "cut out" of what would be the inside of the card so I didn't post it.  Happy you did as it does show it can be done if we could figure it out.  

I did do one with side fold that works and solves the issue of the back of the card but the tent card is so much better looking I think.

Thanks for sharing,
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
Thank you Susan.  These cards are a bit of a problem aren't they.  I first faced them about 4 years ago and was never really happy to leave a gaping hole in the back and so I cut a back for it and used an insert to cover the inside.  That is what made me think it probably would be better to attach a back to it, or a tent card as you suggest would look great.  I have a number of files already that I have made for those and I am sure I could easily convert one.    If I have time I will draw a tent card file with a "stand up" greeting (not sure what to call these as pop-ups are something quite different), perhaps suitable for Christmas, but leave it for others to decorate.

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 11:03:05 AM »
I have adapted a tent card so that the fold at the top closed the tent below the greeting.  I will post the file in Free SVG Files.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:25:13 AM by brynn »

Offline cmsmith60

• Original Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 04:24:10 AM »
I just checked back here and read and looked at the photos...

I agree with you...making a card with a topper would be easier....and will do it that way.  The card will be heavy whichever way you would do it...a topper on the front, or insert in the inside to cover the hole....

Will work up one with the topper and see if I like it....depending on the font, etc

Thank you for your help.  I just wish I had more time to go thru the tutorials, etc.  Just not enough hour in the day to do what I would like

Carolyn S.

P.S.  There wasn't a svg cut file included with your posting.... :)

Quote from: "Technomum"
I had a think about the back of the card and how untidy it can look and tried a slightly different method of finishing the card.   Along the base of the letters where the hashed line would be (excluding the base of the letters), I turned it into a cut line and also drew a cut line round the top of the greeting.   This does leave quite a large hole but it is not so raggedy.  An insert might help but I feel on the card that I cut it may have been better to make the card in two parts, ie the front with the upstanding greeting and the back with perhaps a one centimeter "flap" to adhere to the back of the front section.  I hope that makes sense.  Here a couple of photos showing what I did to my card.  I shall also upload the svg file in case anyone would like to use it.

[attachment=1:26t43ysf][/attachment]Happy Anniversary Pop Up 1.jpg[/attachment:26t43ysf]
[attachment=0:26t43ysf][/attachment]Happy Anniversary Pop Up 2.jpg[/attachment:26t43ysf]

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 05:27:53 AM »
Hi Carolyn S, the files are always posted in Free SVG Files section.