• July 18, 2019, 07:46:22 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: layering and preparing for multiple colors for cutting  (Read 3620 times)

Offline laceygunsmoke

• Original Member
layering and preparing for multiple colors for cutting
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:48:05 AM »
hello!
I am super green, but eager to get to some answers!

Ive certainly been doing some looking, but sometimes its hard to read through the subjects to know exactly if that particular topic will be helpful!

I have successfully made my first cut, after much trial and error LOL! Now that i can do that, im onto my next challenge.

How to use inkscape to create templates for multiple colors, but i have not yet found a video or link to something regarding inkscape. I am looking how to set up the colors, and how to break them apart so that i can create the layered cuts i need. Does that makes sense? Im also not very versed in the lauguage you all use, so im a work in progress! haha

Any imput woudl be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline laceygunsmoke

• Original Member
Re: layering and preparing for multiple colors for cutting
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »
oh and i use inkscape, then SCAL Pro, and i have a US cutter, SC series!

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:53:34 AM »
Hello
there is an early video I made on tracing in Inkscape in which I show how to create and use layers.  Around the 8.50 min mark I show how to set the fill and the stroke colours using the toolbars at the bottom of the screen

You can always bring up the Fill and Stroke Palette by selecting Shift+Ctrl + F on your keyboard and set the colours and style through there

If you have any questions please ask
Pandora :)
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline laceygunsmoke

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »
That certainly helped a little! thank you! you got me working on my challenge a little!

Only i apologise as i didnt give you all the info i should have given you.

Im creating rhinestone templates and im looking to create 2 color Number.

How do i create rhinestone layers to cut out, and make a 2 color number?

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »
rhinestone outline.PNG
*rhinestone outline.PNG
(35.9 kB . 388x387)
(viewed 295 times)

Is this the type of effect you are trying to get ?  should stress it is after midnight here and I havent cleaned up the picture as well as I would have if I was going to use it - just wanted to illustrate what I think you mean - but i could be utterly wrong - however if it is the sort of thing you want you will need to
create one layer and size the number for your project,
create a new layer and copy and paste in place the number
Lock the 2nd layer go back to the first layer and follow Carolyn's method for the fill
Select one of the circles you use and copy it
Once you are happy with that lock that layer and unlock the 2nd layer
Paste the circle to the 2nd layer
Select the number and switch off the fill - leave the stroke
Use Path / dynamic offset and click and drag the diamond till you have the size you want
Select both the number and the circle, use Path/object to path
Use Extensions/ generate from path/ pattern along path with repeated and snake options selected
You will need to cut two templates one for each colour of stones 
Hope that helps
Pandora
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:07:27 AM by brynn »
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline laceygunsmoke

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »
This is exactly what i was looking for! Thank you so much!

Im now facing my next challenge. i am copying the images needed to the layers, only im in my third layer, but it wiont let me paste my image onto the second layer.. any suggestions there?

Offline laceygunsmoke

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
Oh never mind! I figured out layering now.. didnt know about the layer order! whew! This sure takes some skill!

Thanks again,
I will respond back in case i have any other questions!

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »
If you are working in Inkscape, you might try either combining all of the pieces of one color into one Path or Grouping them.  I have SCAL1-3 and eCAL but I don't have the Pro version so I don't know how different it is, but SCAL2/3/eCAL will import each Group or Path into it's own SCAL layer.  You might give it a try to see if it is necessary to add layers in Inkscape.  If Pro works like the other versions of SCAL, not adding layers in Inkscape will save you a bit of time.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo