• August 24, 2019, 11:16:20 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Layers  (Read 2519 times)

Offline jocpo

• Original Member
Layers
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »
Is it possible to set the default, when opening a new Inkscape file, to show the layers and also expand it downward to show the complete list of layers? Each time I open a file now I have to do the following: 1. Open file 2. Click on "layers" icon. 3.Drag layers list to expand and show all layers in my list. 4. Click on "Zoom to fit drawing in window" icon.

I'm working with hundreds of standard template files that I've created. At times I open up to 20 files and either select or unselect layers and/or copy and paste parts to another file to create a new file to send to a cutter.

I consider each of my files a drawing having a bill of materials (layer list). In Cad when a file is opened the BM (Bill of Material) opens and is shown.

I use vers .47. At this time I don't want to load the newest vers. since I have .47 running on 5 laptops and/desktops. I know it sounds crazy to have it on that many machines but there are good reasons for doing so.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Layers
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:57:06 AM »
Yes, you can set a new default and you can create as many custom templates as you wish. There was a tutorial on this forum  [dead link removed] but all the links are missing. It must have happened when the forum was changed to a new host.

All is not lost, Dan has a video tutorial. Here is his blog regarding setting a new default template <!-- m -->http://dan99.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/vi ... capes.html<!-- m --> and here is the link to his video showing the steps <!-- m -->http://pic2.photobucket.com/flash/oldpl ... &os=1&ap=1<!-- m -->

If you want to make your own templates other than a new default template. Create the template in Inkscape, save the template in the same folder as the default but give it a new name. The next time you open Inkscape you can access the new template by opening File>New.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:42:56 PM by brynn »

Offline jocpo

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »
Thanks, I know how to set the default sheet when Inkscape opens. What I want is to do is when I open an Inkscape file I'd like the layer list to open with the file, rather than manually open it. Is there some way to automate this? I don't see any way to set preferences to accomplish this.

Thanks, Joe

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 07:34:04 AM »
Yes, there is. What you do is create the template then save it to the location of the current default template. It will overwrite the existing default and always open with the one you have created. I changed mine to always open with metric settings and a 12 x 12 page. Everytime I open a new document the default is the one I created, not the Inkscape Default.

Create new template, Save As then select the location of the Inkscape default folder on your computer - on my computer the path to change to default is C drive>Program Files>Inkscape>Share>Templates. I then click on the default.svg and save the new template. Close Inkscape, open again and it should open with your custom template.

I hope this makes sense. I will not be online until Sunday evening at the earliest as I am heading to the airport in 6 hours to fly to Canada. I will have a bit of spare time in Whistler as I will not be skiing. I will check back in, however I am only travelling with a small 10 inch computer and have limited features.

Offline jocpo

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »
Maybe I haven't asked my question properly. Attached is a screen shot of a typical dial template I use. In order to have the layer list display, on the right edge of the sheet, I first had to open the file>click on the layer icon> then drag down on the list in order to show the full list of layers.

When I save any template or completed dial the list is showing, but when I reopen it later the list does not show and has to be manually opened with the layer icon and dragged down to show the complete list.

When I'm doing dials for my son I may do 10 to 20 different ones. I am opening various dial template files and often opening and/or closing layers to obtain what I need for a given dial. I also resize the final selection to the desired size and then give the dial a serial no. and save it. I then close the original template file w/o saving the changes-so as to not change the original.

I realize there is the single line layer list on the bottom tool bar, but I don't use that. I really don't find this useful.[/img]

I just would like the layer list to show full (all layers showing) when I open the file, rather than go through the steps manually. Is there some way to do this?