• May 22, 2019, 03:41:00 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Since there haven't been any new messages for so long, and no one has ever replied to this message of mine I'm considering closing this forum entirely, in approx 6 months. If anyone has any comments about that, please feel free to post them.

-- brynn

Author Topic: new guy having issues with Inkscape  (Read 3050 times)

Offline RLopez

• Original Member
new guy having issues with Inkscape
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:45 PM »
Hello all,
Im new so please be easy on me lol.
Im trying to cut out outlined text/stickers, with a SignCut Pro 630 using Inkscape but every time I save it and go to cut it, it doesnt  save it or cut it properly, they dont come out outlined, or stenciled text.
Even when I try to Trace Bitmap in the Preview it shows nothing.

Im sure Im not doing something right, lol any ideas ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
Re: new guy having issues with Inkscape
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 06:02:03 AM »
Hi there - we are all new in the sense that there always seems to be something new to learn .  So welcome in

Trying to understand your problem - it reads as if you are designing in inkscape then using Sign cut to cut with - is that correct?
If so couple of things perhaps to check - now health warning I am doing this in my lunchhour so dont have inkscape or signcut on my work computers to check stuff - anyone else wants to jump in and correct my thoughts  please feel free to !

That said - first of all lets start with the design
Would you ensure that you have either fill or stroke turned on but NOT both !   It shouldn't really matter however it is just one less thing to worry about.    If you are not sure about this look at the bottom row of inkscape and right clicking on any colour will give you the option to see it.

Next BIG HINT TO AVOID ANY ISSUES- please make a copy of your design and save it under a separate name - it saves time and stress later on if anything goes wrong - go on ask how I know  ;)

Working with the copy go to the View menu and change to outline view - this will give you the view that Signcut sees when it cuts and will show if there any issues with the file - turn it back to normal view if everything looks ok

It may be that you need to convert your text to a path - Select the text or design then use - Path/object to path and again check out the view -   if it will not convert to a path - ( check the bottom of the inkscape window - it will tell you )  then you may need to ungroup it  and Path /object to path - ensure it all selected then use Path / Combine     I suggest using that rather than Path / Union because it stops any issues

Try looking at it again and see if the lines appear the way you want them to cut - if not attach the file - if it isnt copyrighted and  we can take a look ........
good luck and hang it there you will get there just maybe via a few roundabouts !    

Guess I better get back to work
regards
Pandora
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 06:46:36 AM »
Hi RLopez,
As I think I replied to you in another forum, the reason you can't see the Preview in Trace Bitmap may be because of a bug.  If you're using the Brightness Cutoff option, that's where the bug is.  You just have to perform the trace, look at it, and if it's not OK, then just Undo, tweak the Threshold setting, and try again.

If you're using another option besides Brightness Cutoff, the preview might not be showing anything, because you didn't click the Update button at the bottom of the Preview window.

If you did click the Update button, you might not see anything in the Preview, if the settings just aren't appropriate.  Trace Bitmap takes a bit of study and practice to understand and use it effectively.  And even experienced users normally have to do a lot of trial and error to get the result they're looking for.  But I certainly do hope they will have that preview for the Brightness Cutoff option fixed soon....  (And possibly, it's fixed already, in the developement version -- I'd have to do a bit of research on that, to find out, and most of the time, it's easier just to wait for the next version, lol.)

And also as I mentioned in the other forum -- I can't help you a bit with the SignCut part of your question.  But the folks here are very helpful, and I have no doubt they will know what to do  :D

Good Luck!
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline RLopez

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 06:56:53 AM »
hey Guys, thanks for the replies.
NewbieCat,
yes, you are correct, Im trying to design in Inkscape and then send to SignCut. I will for sure try your suggestions when I get home. Thank you again.

Btrynn,
 yes I did post in another forum and as your suggestion, I reg and posted here, lol Thanks again  8-)

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
Sorry to but in since both Brynn and Pandora are very well versed in Inkscape but I think it might be helpful for you to post the file you created for all to see and test as there may be something there that would provide a clue.
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline RLopez

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »
PapaSue,
thanks for the replay, Im not sure how to post a picture on here from my PC, but its a basic text of StickerTec that is outined, so that the center of the text will be what I pull from the sticker, and the outline part will be the color of the sticker.

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »
To attach a file to your post if you look just below the panel you type your message in you will see "upload attachment" choose file, you will go to where you have the svg (Inkscape) file saved and select it,  you do not need to attach a picture as the file itself has the info we need to see what is going on. Be sure not to use "quick reply" as the attach function is not there.

I think I read in one of your posts that the file was not saving so I hope you can get it attached.
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013