• September 21, 2017, 11:45:10 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: file not found/sign cut closes  (Read 2426 times)

Offline red hot vinyls

• Original Member
file not found/sign cut closes
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:50:18 AM »
hi all, please could someone save a few of my brain cells and tell me what im doing wrong here please?  i usually play around with path>stroke/object to path and get the file to open in sign cut but this time i just cant see what ive done wrong?  i know its something to do with the hearts and/or the triangles but i cant work out what.  if i delete them it works.

thanks all x

ps yes i am saving as an eps file to open in signcut but ive attached the svg file
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline red hot vinyls

• Original Member
Re: file not found/sign cut closes
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:57:54 AM »
ill narrow that down, its the hearts thats the problem but i cant see anything thats different between the hearts and the triangles???

Offline dcbevins

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
From a certain perspective, I see multiple problems.  Having said that, SignCut pro is very forgiving.  For example, text objects are not paths.  Yet if you send a text object to SignCut, it will deal with.

I currently have a 64bit version of Inkscape installed and it won't export to Signcut via the plugin, so I can't do an accurate test..  I did open it in CorelDRAW and send it to signcut form there.  It picked most of the design up.  If I try to open the svg directly with Signcut, it crashes.  If I use Inkscape to save as eps first and open with signcut, it says there are no objects.  Inkscape is not seeing the CAC Champagne font on my system.  CorelDRAW does.

One thing I see is there are "pieces" of heart in what looks like bad places, perhaps leftover from a a path operation like union or intersect:

As these pieces are of the same color, I think signcut just ignores them.  Still it a bad habit to have junk bits in things your are trying to get the cutter to cut.

Another thing, though like I said, SignCut is forgiving, is that you are using strokes in places I have seen to cause problems with Vinyl Cutters often.    When you make a design, often you need to add a stroke to get it fill out properly.  But when you are done, all those stokes should be made into objects.

Signcut looks at the color I think and not the paths or strokes.  This certainly makes it easier for many things.  But it encourages a disconnect from the reality of what is concurring in the hardware.  

Only objects should be sent to the cutter, and hairline stokes that define the knife path.  SignCut is somehow dealing with those strokes and dealing with them before being sent to the cutter, but it is a bad practice/habit to use fat strokes when they should be paths..  The only stroke your design should have is a skinny hairline stroke, (0.001" in Inkscape.)  Hairline strokes are what should define the path the knife takes.

Doing this though with SignCut though might be confusing as it will see each the colored objects and the hairlines strokes as separate things.  But if you practice this, it will help encourage correct thinking about the path of the knife.

Offline red hot vinyls

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 05:01:17 PM »
thanks for your reply,  the little extra bits you said about are part of the design to create the look of intertwining the two shapes.  i had realised that they wouldnt cut (i learned out to do that in a tutorial in the inkscape forum for designing not here where its for cutting too).  if i take the hearts out of the design it will go to signcut and looks like it would cut fine when i look at the preview, but with the hearts in, it doesnt like it.

i am very new to all this, i only started in may, so i am learning as i go and with help from others like yourself and good ol' you tube, im getting there....slowly!!!

thanks again

nyk