• November 21, 2017, 01:58:02 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: NEWBIE-I bit off more than I could chew for first nonpersonal project  (Read 2167 times)

Offline RaissaLLeJ

• Sr. Newbie
Hi!  I am new to using Inkscape, and I'm in the process of learning all the ins and outs.  I was asked to do a project for a very small business and I am having a very hard time getting this jpg file converted to a "cuttable" svg.  I started with one image and worked until 3am trying to get usable layers, but NOTHING worked.  I had them choose another image to see if maybe it would be a little easier, but the second image is giving me the same problems.  I have finally deduced that there is entirely too much shading in both images for a Newbie like me to tackle.  Would anyone be willing to try their hand at it for me?  :???: :f5:  (attached is the first image they chose, I would really like to get this one "cuttable" if possible)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: NEWBIE-I bit off more than I could chew for first nonpersonal project
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 11:09:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Not sure if you forgot the attachment, or if it just didn't work right?  Of course you wouldn't have know that, because of the forum moderation.  Don't worry -- it's just the first 2 messages.  You're halfway there!

• Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline RaissaLLeJ

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:41:48 AM »
BigBoyzCrawfish.jpg
*BigBoyzCrawfish.jpg
(78.83 kB . 533x500)
(viewed 57 times)

Thank you!  I didn't even notice that it was not attached!

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »
That image isn't going to work well for tracing since it does have too much shading.  You could use the Bezier tool to create lines for cutting. Is this going to be vinyl?
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips,
Occasionally use Illustrator CS5

Offline RaissaLLeJ

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
Yes it is going to be on heat transfer vinyl. 

Im not familiar with that tool yet.  I figured I bit off more than I could chew with this project.  The customer is very patient and understanding, and is aware that this is my first job.  She is willing to let the image lose a little detail, but I'm just not familiar enough to know what would be usable layers or lines.  I would have liked to get it down to black and red, and maybe gray or white if I had to, but I'm stumped!

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:41:03 PM »
There are quite a few tutorials online but most aren't geared towards cutters, so you need to keep that in mind.  I'm not familiar with HTV, so I'm not sure what you need for using the different colors.  Do you put one on top of another, or do they need to be separated so that they both adhere to the material rather than the other color? 

Basically though, you would use the Bezier tool to create the detail lines in your image.  I think you probably need to watch or read some tutorials and then once you have a better idea of what you can do you need to have an idea of the style and level of detail that you want to achieve.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips,
Occasionally use Illustrator CS5

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 02:04:01 PM »
I don't know anything about heat vinyl transfer either.  But my first guess is that it might be something like print and cut (or is it cut and print).  In any case, on paper, it means to print the image on paper, and then cut out on the outline (with the cutting machine).  So I was thinking the image would be printed on vinyl, and then cut out.

But that's little more than a guess on my part.  I mean, because I've seen vinyl signs on storefront windows, where there is an image printed on the vinyl.  But maybe the heat transfer part makes it different?

I remember someone showed a project with heat vinyl transfer, in the forum, not too long ago.  I don't recall them discussing how they did it, but might be worth looking it up.  I seem to recall is was either all one color, or at least monotone.  Well, for whatever it's worth.

There's always google.  At least Wikipedia would give a basic introduction  ;)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit