• June 25, 2019, 12:26:42 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Since there haven't been any new messages for so long, and no one has ever replied to this message of mine I'm considering closing this forum entirely, in approx 6 months. If anyone has any comments about that, please feel free to post them.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Deleting outlines of imported objects  (Read 1195 times)

Offline tims

Deleting outlines of imported objects
« on: January 01, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »
I'm new to Inkscape and am preparing a file for laser cutting.

I imported objects from pdf's. The outlines (View-Display Mode-Outlines) of the pages I imported are effecting the size of the layout when I try to upload it to the cutter's website.

I can't seem to select them so how do I delete them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Deleting outlines of imported objects
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:21:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean about the outlines affecting the size of the page.  Outline mode shows the raw paths, so it doesn't change anything about the size of the paths.  You definitely don't want to delete those, since that's what tells the cutter where to cut.  Plus, you should be able to select and edit paths in outline mode.  So there must be some other reason why you can't select them.

Since PDF files can contain both raster and vector contents, theoretically you could have non-vector objects in the file.  And there are a number of other reasons why you can't select something, which we can neither guess, or explain all the possibilities.

Would you please share the SVG file, which contains all the imported objects?  Also please explain your ultimate goal - which objects you want to keep and which to delete.  Then we can look at it, and tell you what to do.  You could attach to your next message. Use the full editor ("Reply" button instead of "Quick Reply"), and look for "Attachments" below the message editor.  Or upload anywhere and give us the link.

Also, you said "upload to the cutter's website"?  I guess I should confess that I don't have or use cutters myself.  I do know Inkscape very well.  But I didn't realize there were web-based cutters.  What happens there?  You upload the file, and then later, download.....well, that's where I get stuck.  It would have to mail you the cut out wood or paper, or whatever it is.  Or else, what is it that the cutter's website does with the file?  I'm just curious - could you post a link?
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit