• June 18, 2019, 07:51:56 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Since there haven't been any new messages for so long, and no one has ever replied to this message of mine I'm considering closing this forum entirely, in approx 6 months. If anyone has any comments about that, please feel free to post them.

-- brynn

Author Topic: clip....  (Read 2476 times)

Offline DogCarbon

• Original Member
clip....
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:25:58 AM »
Clip...

I have recently came across a file that utilitzed a clip.

Does anyone want to look at this file and see if you can see an application for large layout in vinyl?

I am not sure if we can "clip" the large image and have just that portion cut out....

I work with inkscape, and SCAL to cut on the Cricut.

The file I am looking at is at this site:
http://fssp-arpop.blogspot.com/search/l ... me%20Signs

The Scroll Bracket, Welcome sign pdf... page 2 of that pdf.

I see with the object/clip there is a set and a release. And on this file, they used a rectangle to set clip.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Butterfly

• Original Member
Re: clip....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:45:33 AM »
I guess I didn't spend enough time over in that direction yesterday I am looking now at the other one you posted but I never seen these ones. I just wish all of these had been out there free when I was cutting wood maybe I still would be. Maybe I will just pull out my ..........Naw.......maybe...........we'll see
I Learn something new every day, I just Forget to remember it
XP, Ink.47, Scal 2, Cricut E
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:15:25 AM »
Hi, I just downloaded the file to have a look. Was it Scroll Bracket Welcome?

If you import page 1 of the pdf into Inkscape and ungroup many times it is already in vector format and it is ready for cutting.
Page 2 did have a clip but it will be easier to use page 1.
I just kept ungrouping until the lower welcome sign on page 1 showed how many nodes were in the object. It can then be resized as needed and cut out.

Offline DogCarbon

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:20:04 AM »
Carolyn,

Thank you.  I understand I could have used the welcome on page 1.

but I am looking to use the clip on LARGE cuts that are over the size limits of (12"x24") a mat.

I was just wondering anyone has had any experience in using CLIP for that use.  

I know how to break apart an image other ways, but could this be another trick in our toolbol?

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:03:22 AM »
I just tried this with SCAL2 and it imported just like I hadn't used the clip, the whole original file showed with no sign of the rectangle I used to clip.  I don't know what would happen with the other cutters.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline DogCarbon

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
hmmm, so it seems the clip is only a visual thing.  

Kinda like masking out part of a reference file in CADD (I use Microstation - so this is microstation lingo)

Thanks Heather for testing this!

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. Great to see Heather was able to answer it correctly.
I have only used clip for visual purposes. If you look at a clipped item in outline mode you will see the original design is still there.