• June 18, 2019, 07:51:41 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Since there haven't been any new messages for so long, and no one has ever replied to this message of mine I'm considering closing this forum entirely, in approx 6 months. If anyone has any comments about that, please feel free to post them.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Cutting area  (Read 2603 times)

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
Cutting area
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
How do I get boundary lines to show on the design area that show where you have to cut inside? (sorry that's not very good English!) I can't remember if I've ever had them in Inkscape though I know I've got them in the basic robo program, I've probably turned something off without realising it.

Ruth
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Ruth

Craft Robo  Windows 7  Inkscape 0.48

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
Re: Cutting area
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:26 PM »
Hi Ruth,

I am not sure I am understanding your problem properly;  many apologies if what I am about to say is not relevant.

You do not need the red boundary line in Inkscape.  If you don't have the document outline showing on your Inkscape screen go to File>Document Properties and choose A4 or whichever size you use from the drop down menu.  If you are importing an svg into RM and it is too large you can always select all and pull the corner arrow to reduce the size so it fits inside the Robo Red Boundary Marker.  If it is so large you cannot see the outer perimeter of your design use the minus magnifying glass which, if you press once or twice (or possibly more), allows you to see the rest of your design.  You can then do the same as before and use a corner handle to reduce the size of the design so that it sits in what will now be a tiny sign blank.  Then use your plus magnifying glass to take you back to normal view.  I only have an old machine and I am not sure if the newer ones have a facility to zoom in a different manner.
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »
I've been trying my hand at designing in Inkscape and it suddenly occurred to me that there was no red line and I didn't know how far I could go to the edge of the A4 page and still get all the design cut.  I'm ok with the re-sizing thing.  I think I'll just experiment a bit so I can see for myself.  Thanks

Ruth
Ruth

Craft Robo  Windows 7  Inkscape 0.48

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »
Your cutter is the determining factor.  Some cutters will allow you to cut right up to the edge of your chosen paper size, assuming your Inkscape document size is the same but others, like the Robo, will restrict your cutting area.  Some machines will take 12 inch (30cm) paper but will only allow you to cut to 11 or 11.5 inches.  It sounds as though you are using a Robo and you know how to resize so you can make your design as big as A4 and reduce it a little in RM so that it fits into the red border.
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
    • http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 11:56:34 PM »
Hi Ruth

Have a look here: http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?topic=72.0

I must admit I have not tried to see if cutting in version 0.48 will give me a bigger cutting area, will have to see if I can find a little time to investigate.........
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:06:55 AM by brynn »
http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftsuprint.com/default.cfm?designer=379

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)