• April 21, 2019, 10:55:16 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help with my first SVG please  (Read 4176 times)

Offline GillT

• Original Member
Help with my first SVG please
« on: October 31, 2010, 06:08:05 AM »
I'm trying to cut a simple outline of a paper doll.  I've drawn it out in Inkscape and most of it cuts beautifully on my CraftRobo - except for one side.  :roll:

I have two questions, please.  First, what have I done that the one side "goes over the edge" and doesn't cut?  Second, how do I adjust the size so that I can cut bigger/smaller dolls?  I love the small - it's what I was aiming for - but I might also like to cut different sizes.

Please, I'd appreciate all your comments and advice.    :)

Gill
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Gill

Using Win7 :: new user of Craft Robo :: Robomaster :: Inkscape 0.48
Blog:  http://elegantsufficiency.squarespace.com

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
Re: Help with my first SVG please
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:51:09 AM »
Hi Gill.  Well done for using Inkscape.  You will find the Robo cuts much better with it.   It is a good idea to have your cut lines all one colour and I would change your outlines to all black and removed any fill.  You will not need both.  If you wish to edit your shapes you can go back in and delete some of the nodes by clicking on them and pressing the delete button.  Inkscape is very good at preserving the shape and this may give you a little smoother outline but if you prefer not to do that at this stage I am sure they will cut fine.

To increase the size select everything with the Select Arrow and draw an imaginary box enclosing all the parts.  Then hold down control and pull one of the corner handles and the whole file will enlarge, keeping all the pieces their correct size.  OR you can select all the parts and group them, go to the size boxes on the top toolbar and click the padlock.  This will ensure all changes in size you make will be made to both height and width which will keep your file pieces the correct shape. I have carried out exactly this on your file and reattach it here.  It is on an A4 document so may be too large for the Robo.  If you move the elements around I am sure they will fit the correct size page.  They can, of course, be moved once they are in RM.

I don't know why your file is not cutting on one side.  I assume you have placed it centrally on your cutting sheet or wherever you wish it to cut.  You must make sure all of it is within the red box on the RM screen but your file is very small and I cannot think why it should be a problem.  I think Angela has posted the size you can use.  Probably it would be best to ensure that the document size you use in Inkscape is set to the size allowed in Angela's post.

Angela is Queen Bee with Robo problems and I am sure she will be along soon.    I have an old machine and do not use it any more but I think the same rules apply whichever Robo one has.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 10:17:06 AM by Technomum »
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline GillT

• Original Member
Re: Help with my first SVG please - thanks!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:35:28 AM »
Wow...that was so quick!  Thank you so much for sorting that file out - now I need to sit down and work out what you did for myself.  But, it cuts perfectly now and yes, those nodes are irritatingly jaggy in the larger scale format.  I need to deal with those.

For now, I'm thrilled with the end result and once again, thank you sincerely for taking the trouble to iron out my probs.

(I also looked again at the forum sections and wondered if I'd asked this question in the correct place?  :?  Don't want to blot my copybook!!)

Gill
Gill

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
    • http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:40 AM »
Thank You Technomum for sorting this out for GillT, I was on another forum having a little discussion!!!

Hi Gill

It would be better to do a screenprint of the design, then actually attach a file unless you are OK for anyone to download and use.
http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftsuprint.com/default.cfm?designer=379

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
Re: Help with my first SVG please - thanks!!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:16:03 AM »
Quote from: "GillT"
Wow...that was so quick!  Thank you so much for sorting that file out - now I need to sit down and work out what you did for myself.  But, it cuts perfectly now and yes, those nodes are irritatingly jaggy in the larger scale format.  I need to deal with those.

For now, I'm thrilled with the end result and once again, thank you sincerely for taking the trouble to iron out my probs.

(I also looked again at the forum sections and wondered if I'd asked this question in the correct place?  :?  Don't want to blot my copybook!!)

Gill

Gill, you won't blot your copy book here.  We like to help if we can.  We have all been there at some time or other.  So ask away.  I use Inkscape all the time now and use a cutter other than the Robo.   Sometimes it can be difficult to actually work out what the problem is without the file BUT, as Angela quite rightly says, once posted the file can be downloaded by anyone.  I will delete the copy I posted for you and have also removed it from my computer.

Gill, I only moved the doll outlines away from the edge of the page a little but I did remove all the fills and left the outlines only.  To do this in Inkscape look at the bottom left of your screen and you will see a little box with an X in it.  If you highlight your design and then press this you will delete any fill.  Before  you do this, however, it is a good idea to check you have an outline or you will think you have lost your design.  There are two colour bars also on the bottom left of the Inkscape workspace.  The top one is the colour fill you have on your drawing and the bottom one is the colour of the outline.  To colour your outline black and so that they are all the same black, select your entire drawing then right click on your mouse on the first black on the colour bar and use the option Select Stroke.  That way you will have entirely black outlines that will work well in Inkscape as long as you choose black in RM.

Offline GillT

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 10:38:33 AM »
Good advice re the advantages of attaching a screenshot rather than the file Angel - though on this occasion I was happy to share my mistakes  :lol:   I've benefited so much from shared files and information here already - you know when you just want to cut something great rather than fiddle around with the very basic stuff that comes free with it?  Well, thanks to PapaSue and her snoflakes, I was able to do that.   So, it was my intention to share that paperdoll template, once I'd got the glitches sorted out...though no doubt there is already such a basic thing here somewhere....it seems almost as though everyone has done everything already!!

Anyway, I will continue to try to iron out the "issues" with it.  I have taken your advice about removing some nodes and it's better.  But one or two areas still don't cut which is totally baffling.  Clearly, something somewhere isn't right because on the "doctored" file that Technomum returned, they worked perfectly.  So, I'll scratch my head and try to work it out!

I spotted another query somewhere here about "bits that don't cut" and will return to that later.  But for now, I think I've used up this little old brain for today.

Gill
Gill

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »
Hi Gill

As you know I like to do Pictorials sometimes!! So if you need additional help just do a screenprint, and that gives a chance for others jump in and help and also may help others with the same problem who do not fill confident enough to explain what problems they are having......

Ho! I do waffle when I'm ready so hope that all made sense????.....

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 02:18:43 PM »
Good advice re the advantages of attaching a screenshot rather than the file Angel - though on this occasion I was happy to share my mistakes  :lol:   I've benefited so much from shared files and information here already - you know when you just want to cut something great rather than fiddle around with the very basic stuff that comes free with it?  Well, thanks to PapaSue and her snoflakes, I was able to do that.   So, it was my intention to share that paperdoll template, once I'd got the glitches sorted out...though no doubt there is already such a basic thing here somewhere....it seems almost as though everyone has done everything already!!

Anyway, I will continue to try to iron out the "issues" with it.  I have taken your advice about removing some nodes and it's better.  But one or two areas still don't cut which is totally baffling.  Clearly, something somewhere isn't right because on the "doctored" file that Technomum returned, they worked perfectly.  So, I'll scratch my head and try to work it out!

I spotted another query somewhere here about "bits that don't cut" and will return to that later.  But for now, I think I've used up this little old brain for today.

Gill

Gill, can you take a screenshot of the file in Inkscape (mark the bit that is not cutting with a red circle or similar) or photo of the media showing where the file is not cutting.  One of us can have a look at those parts more closely.  Your file is still up so I shall be able to download it again and see whether there is anything particularly odd there.  The strange thing is I really didn't do anything except make the entire template into outlines, removed the fill and moved it slightly away from the edge of the signblank (A4 workspace in Inkscape)  - well not that I can remember but that is another story - LOL.

Offline GillT

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 04:29:30 PM »
Technomum, how can I decline such a kind offer  ;)   I'll attach the screenshot and a photo of the uncut bits, which I've drawn in red on the card.

When I first drew the shapes and uploaded the file earlier today, part of the head didn't cut as well as these bits of the body.  You worked on it and returned a file which worked perfectly, thank you - so I went back to my original and tried to work through the suggestions, hoping that it would cut right the way round - but though the head cut fine, three places on the body remained uncut.

I'm baffled...I took away nodes and tried to adjust it so that any sections which weren't the same as the others would be replaced by cutting lines, but still it made no difference.  The trouble is, the program is still unfamiliar to me and I don't really have enough knowledge of it to work out an alternative method, if you know what I mean.

I don't give up easily, so very much appreciate your patience.  And quite by chance this evening, I discovered another online friend uses Inkscape as her program of choice for her graphics work, which is interesting (and another source of knowledge for me to pester <gg>)  

Time for my beauty sleep now though - I am delighted how far I've come with your help, though - thanks so much, both of you.
Gill

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
OK Gill this is what I did, I hope this makes sense.

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54:20 AM »
Thanks for the photos Gill.  It does look as though parts of your doll's body fall outside the cutting area.  Angela has obviously worked on it and this is what it shows.  Making sure your design sits well within the red rectangle should ensure a perfect cut.   As Angela has done you could do a "pen cut" on some cheap paper to check where a design cuts before using expensive card for your project.  If the same thing happens move your design on your signblank until you are well inside the red rectangle.  BTW I love how you have used to "doll" to point out the problem.

Offline GillT

• Original Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 04:33:50 AM »
Of course, now it's pointed out, it's pretty clear where I've gone wrong.  But hey ho, it's how we learn, isn't it?

And yes, we've gotta keep smiling, or else we throw things ;-))  I need constant reminders that this is a mere machine and a piece of paper here and try not to get too frustrated!

Anyway, moving onto the next challenge....I'll put the finished (but far from perfect) doll in the sharing files.

Gill
Gill

Offline Butterfly

• Original Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 10:19:16 AM »
LOL My father had his doubts when I brought home my first laptop, as a matter of fact he asked me How long do you think you will have that before it goes out the window....LOL
I Learn something new every day, I just Forget to remember it
XP, Ink.47, Scal 2, Cricut E
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 02:12:35 PM »
Of course, now it's pointed out, it's pretty clear where I've gone wrong.  But hey ho, it's how we learn, isn't it?

And yes, we've gotta keep smiling, or else we throw things ;-))  I need constant reminders that this is a mere machine and a piece of paper here and try not to get too frustrated!

Anyway, moving onto the next challenge....I'll put the finished (but far from perfect) doll in the sharing files.

Gill

Gill you are right, making mistakes and correcting them is how we learn AND I am told repeating everything three times sets it in one's memory.  Something went awry with me there  :lol:.  I have been designing cards for some years now and yet this evening I have just cut a new, reasonably complicated design and it wasn't until I cut it out that I suddenly realised I had made a very basic mistake.   I now clearly see my mistake and can rectify it.  So even old hands get it wrong.   So I wouldn't worry about this small slip.  If you are cutting from Inkscape and you are new to the Robo you are doing brilliantly and do keep smiling.  I plan to cut your doll for my smallest granddaughter on her next visit and I think she will find it fascinating.