• June 25, 2019, 12:21:23 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Since there haven't been any new messages for so long, and no one has ever replied to this message of mine I'm considering closing this forum entirely, in approx 6 months. If anyone has any comments about that, please feel free to post them.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Rectangle with cut out corners  (Read 5002 times)

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
Rectangle with cut out corners
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »
Can you tell me how to produce a rectangle with round cut outs on the corners please.

Ruth
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Ruth

Craft Robo  Windows 7  Inkscape 0.48

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
Re: Rectangle with cut out corners
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »
Hi Ruth, I am not too sure exactly what you mean.  I have produced three shapes that are quite literally round cut outs on/in the corners.  If one is the shape you are looking for, post which and someone will help.

If you are thinking of something quite different could you draw a shape and either scan or photograph it and upload so that we know exactly what you are wanting to do.

Ruth.jpg
*Ruth.jpg
(13.4 kB . 683x456)
(viewed 960 times)

Ruth 2.jpg
*Ruth 2.jpg
(9.93 kB . 405x403)
(viewed 865 times)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:12:15 AM by brynn »
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:06:27 AM »
Hi Technomum

The first one is what I was thinking of, can't figure how to cut out those corners.

Thanks
Ruth
Ruth

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:51:38 AM »
OK Ruth, give me a short while and I will upload some quick instructions.

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 03:41:45 AM »
Hi Ruth,

I have attached an svg file with the instructions on it.  There are other ways to do this but this was easy for me to describe.  If you prefer not to use the grid you can place the circles by "eye".

Hope it helps.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:13:02 AM by brynn »

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 04:57:40 AM »
Thanks for that, will have a look when I get home from work tonight.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »
Thanks Technomum, that worked for me.  But it does raise a couple of questions.

1.   I'm not really sure how using the grid works, I don't know what it does and how to make it work for me, I see little messages come up but I don't know how they help.

2.  I get confused as to what all the things in the Path menu do - Object to Path, Stroke to Path, Difference, Exclusion, etc, etc.  I am using them in the places people tell me to but I don't know why, I feel I could work things out for myself if I could understand what each term actully means.  Is there a list somewhere that explains what each item does?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I do feel I have made quite a lot of progress since coming onto this forum.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
Hi Ruth,

I am pleased you managed to get it to work.

Carolyn has some very good videos that will help.  One of them will help you with the jargon and is here:

http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?topic=36.0

This link is written by one of the people who is very involved with producing Inkscape who goes by the name of MicroUgly.

http://www.microugly.com/inkscape-quickguide/

He explains working with paths and more.

This is another good tutorial on Inkscape.  Not nearly as long as the original Manual but quite useful. 

http://ostan-collections.net/annex/InkscapeTutorial.pdf

Have a look at them and see if they help.    I am always willing to help with specific problems.  It does take time to take on board what is quite a powerful piece of software.  Using it for cutting files is the easy part of it.  I don't ever dip into the real graphics side of it as that is not my real interest so much of the manual/s is irrelevant for what we do.

There are some rules a beginner needs to observe, one being that you cannot weld anything if it is grouped.  Always ungroup and use Path>Combine - as you did in the current exercise.  There are times when something appears not to work.  This can be because part of the design has not been made a true path by using Path>Object to Path. 

I am sure somewhere there is a pictorial explanation of what the paths do.  I will try to find it for you.  It will be in the Manual.

I hope these links give you a little more insight into how to use Inkscape.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:14:31 AM by brynn »

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
Hi Ruth,

In this tutorial  (scroll down to Boolean Operations) it explains (pictorially) what happens to two overlapping shapes when all the Path options are used.  There also are some other useful tips.

http://inkscape.org/doc/advanced/tutorial-advanced.html

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
Thanks for your replies Techie. I'll have to sit down and study these.  I have looked at the Inkscape manual before but there seemed such a lot of it it was difficult to pick out the relevant bits.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline BathBelle

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »
Thanks again Technie, have spent the last couple of hours reading through the ostan-collections pdf.  Theere's so much useful information there.  Must print it off for reference.

Thanks

Ruth
Ruth

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:58 PM »
Hi Ruth,

It is quite an old tutorial so some of the options may have changed or been updated but I thought it was good on the basics and you would be surprised how much can be done with the basics.