• August 17, 2019, 11:57:55 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Moving files from inkscape to MTC or SVG  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Original Member
Moving files from inkscape to MTC or SVG
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
I just joined this group in hopes of learning how to work in Inkscape and especially being able to move files from there to MTC or SVG. I have a Cricut Expression and have Windows XP on my computer. So many files I've downloaded seem to go directly to Inkscape and I'm not sure how to change this...and then I have trouble moving them out of Inkscape. But I really would like to understand Inkscape because it sounds like a valuable tool. So I suppose I should start with the beginner tutorials and see how that goes. This shouldn't be an excuse but I'm 76 and it takes a little more time for me to figure things out!!  ;) Since you're Aussie Carolyn maybe I should be Florida Carolyn. Thanks in advance for any help..Florida Carolyn
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Butterfly

• Original Member
Re: Moving files from inkscape to MTC or SVG
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:17:41 PM »
Welcome Carolyn, I am not this Carolyn, or that Carolyn, I am Butterfly and I think I can solve your confusion

I think what you are talking about is the logo on the file, and yes it is an inkscape file but it is more than that it is an SVG. It is the file type already ready for use in MTC

Hope this helps and I think That Carolyn will be along, Glad your hear and whatever it is you need Don't forget to just give a Holler
I Learn something new every day, I just Forget to remember it
XP, Ink.47, Scal 2, Cricut E
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
Hi Carolyn and welcome. I call myself Aussie Carolyn as I use to be on a forum with a few other Carolyn's. Also if I use Aussie people will know I am in a different time zone and may be delayed in answering any questions. We both live in regions with a similar climate. I  guess you have the same humidity problems I have with some cardstock that does not co-operate on hot humid days.

To move files between Inkscape and MTC is easy if you have both programs open as you can copy and paste between programs. For example I can design in MTC, copy the design and paste it directly into Inkscape and vice-a-versa.

The files that open by default in Inkscape will probably be SVG files and have been assigned to open with Inkscape. The default can be changed but you would need to nominate a different default program.

Now I do own MTC but I am only a beginner and another member may have a better answer than the one I will give. If you want to open an SVG file and not open Inkscape you can open MTC then select File>Import>SVG and select the file you want to open.

Feel free to join in and ask any questions you need assistance with. We can help with Inkscape but I always recommend people visit the MTC forum for help with the software as they can better answer any questions. Inkscape has a lot of great features to help design your own files and is not hard once you learn the basics.

Offline Butterfly

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:42:03 PM »
OOPPPPssss sorry I didn't know all that about MTC I run SCAL I am so glad you seen this
I Learn something new every day, I just Forget to remember it
XP, Ink.47, Scal 2, Cricut E
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »
Quote from: "Butterfly"
OOPPPPssss sorry I didn't know all that about MTC I run SCAL I am so glad you seen this

Don't be sorry.

I think I own most of the programs people use but I just don't have the spare time to learn them all. I even have SCAL but don't want to enter my activation number until I get a new computer.

I bought MTC for the rhinestone feature and it's Inkscape compatibility. The more I use the program the more I like it. I can design in Inkscape then I can cut to every model of machine I own instead of constantly swapping between programs.

Offline Carolyn

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:00:36 AM »
Thanks to you all for answering my question...now I'll try working with those suggestions today and maybe it will "sink in". Yes, Carolyn, it is very humid here in Florida too. Thank goodness for air conditioning! :) I'll let you know how things go...Thanks again  Florida Carolyn