• June 25, 2019, 12:21:12 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Since there haven't been any new messages for so long, and no one has ever replied to this message of mine I'm considering closing this forum entirely, in approx 6 months. If anyone has any comments about that, please feel free to post them.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Double lines when converting from image to .svg  (Read 5674 times)

Offline just looking

• Original Member
Double lines when converting from image to .svg
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »
I am trying to convert a black and white .jpg drawing into an .svg by using "Trace bitmap" and I am getting double lines.  Any idea if there is a setting that will fix this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Double lines when converting from image to .svg
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
Hi, The result you are having always happens when you trace a line drawing such as a colouring page. It will trace all of the black lines so when you want to cut it will cut both sides. Often the lines are way to thin to cut successfully.

Now to help you out we will need a bit of extra information. For example a pen or rhinestone design will be treated differently to a paper piecing pattern. If you let us know we can give you some instructions to change the traced image into something that will suit the project you are trying to cut out.

Below is a screenshot showing the traced image as it probably looks on your screen. On the right I removed the fill and used a stroke line to show the lines that will cut (the same view can be achieved by viewing in outline mode). Each line is the path the blade will follow.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:15:59 AM by brynn »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:09:10 PM »
Kay has a long list of links to tutorials for tracing in Inkscape http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/images-to-svg/ You will find a links to site with tutorials like the one you are trying to trace.

If you need extra help let us know. PapaSue and HeatherM do have tutorials listed on Kay's links and can suggest a good tutorial or give some extra advise on your particular needs for the design.

If it is for using with a pen or rhinestones let us know as the instructions may be slightly different.

Offline just looking

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 04:56:15 AM »
Thanks Carolyn.  I am just trying to get an output that looks like your first example, wider solid lines (fill only).

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 05:24:04 PM »
Sorry for the delay answering. I am having both internet and computer problems at the moment.

I am just guessing here that you have traced the image and would like the lines to be thicker to make it easier to cut. If that is correct I would suggest using Path>Dynamic offset or Path>Outset. I have added an example for Path>Outset. As the default setting for Outset may thicken your line too much or not enough I have shown how you can change the default settings.

a2.JPG
*a2.JPG
(93.78 kB . 1279x457)
(viewed 1400 times)

b4.JPG
*b4.JPG
(46.93 kB . 499x467)
(viewed 1347 times)

Just in case you have not traced the design yet I will show the settings I used to trace your image.
I found the default setting - Brightness cutoff - Threshold 0.45 worked great for your image. Screenshot below.

bt.JPG
*bt.JPG
(93.33 kB . 1086x473)
(viewed 1325 times)

Sorry if there is more information than you needed and you already know how to do all of this. It is hard guessing how much information and prior knowledge a person has when they ask a question. I prefer to give too much information.

One last question - you said you are getting double lines, did you mean when cutting or tracing? Above I answered about tracing. Often when people ask about double lines they refer to what happens when they cut. If that is the case some programs used for cutting recognise both stroke and fill and will cut both. If that is happening remove one of them and you should get a single cut for each line.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:17:00 AM by brynn »

Offline just looking

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:02:47 AM »
Thank you so much for your response.  That is exactly the right level of information.  I think I have it now and give it a whirl.

Offline just looking

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »
So looked at all your suggestions and still cannot figure this out.  I may be asking for something that does not make sense and I realized my previous posts didn't have enough information to help you, help me.  So let's try again.

I am trying to take this coloring page layout and convert to svg.  But as we noted, there are two lines when I make the copy.  I have not tried to cut anything yet.  I just noted when looking at my finished product that it has "double lines" around both sides of the very broad line in the original.

This format would work fine if I wanted a paper piercing with a background, but what I really want is a simply trace, like the original, but with thinner lines.  I have tried all your suggestions and still have the multiple lines.  I also tried filling in the "two lines" and also the paint bucket technique with some "outset" to try to get the two lines to overlap or at least connect but the final product still is not good.  

I've looked at about 20 tutorials but still cannot see how to get the single image result.

Maybe it is just that coloring book images cannot be manipulated in this way.?!

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
Okay, I can think of two reasons your traced image is looking wrong.

1. The traced image may have stroke on and fill off.
I suspect this is your problem.
To test it out, select the traced bike and click on any colour along the lower palette bar. You should now have a solid fill colour not two thin lines.
If this fixed the problem and you want to remove the stroke line (some cutting programs will recognise both fill and stroke and cause a double cut). Right click on the stroke colour as marked by the blue arrow in my screenshot and select Remove Stroke.

oview2.JPG
*oview2.JPG
(78.47 kB . 761x475)
(viewed 1434 times)

2. Screen view in outline mode.
I don't think this is the problem as your image to be traced would not be visible and all you would see is a red square with a cross through it.

oview.JPG
*oview.JPG
(50.58 kB . 438x473)
(viewed 1276 times)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:18:58 AM by brynn »

Offline scud

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
Try MTC it changes them to single lines,
Barbara