• June 26, 2019, 10:43:31 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Since there haven't been any new messages for so long, and no one has ever replied to this message of mine I'm considering closing this forum entirely, in approx 6 months. If anyone has any comments about that, please feel free to post them.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Triangle star card help  (Read 5776 times)

Offline labish

• Original Member
Triangle star card help
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:07:17 AM »
Hi
I am trying to make and cut a template for the triangle star card as shown on YouTube. I have a Cameo and I am using DE. I need a  step by step tutorial, can anyone help?

Lynda
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
Re: Triangle star card help
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:30:11 AM »
HI

is this what you mean

written instructions http://www.stampowl.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/love.html
video    

if not post a link to the card you want and I will take a look

Good luck

Pandora  :)
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
    • http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »
Oh Thank You Pandora, I saw this post while I was at work but I couldn't take the chance to answer.
http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftsuprint.com/default.cfm?designer=379

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)

Offline labish

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 01:15:06 AM »
Quote from: "newbiecat"
HI

is this what you mean

written instructions http://www.stampowl.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/love.html
video    

if not post a link to the card you want and I will take a look

Good luck

Pandora (pretty name)
Yes that's the card, I can do it using a ruler and craft knife, but I want to know how to do it using my cameo, from scratch. Can you help?

Lynda

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:09:45 AM »
Unfortunately I dont use silhoutte studio much - have the basic one but not familiar enough with it to write a tutorial for that - will ask about if anyone knows it well enough to do so

If you have the designer version apparently you can import an svg into that - happy to do a tutorial in inkscape and then attach the file here if that helps you out.  

Also just been told that someone believes it is possible to cut from inkscape in cameo - can you do that ??

From what I can see it is just a process of drawing an equilateral triange(cut lines) then adding fold (dotted lines) - should be quite straightforward

there is pattern on the written instructions that looks easy to follow

However let me know

Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline labish

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
Unfortunately I dont use silhoutte studio much - have the basic one but not familiar enough with it to write a tutorial for that - will ask about if anyone knows it well enough to do so

If you have the designer version apparently you can import an svg into that - happy to do a tutorial in inkscape and then attach the file here if that helps you out.  

Also just been told that someone believes it is possible to cut from inkscape in cameo - can you do that ??

From what I can see it is just a process of drawing an equilateral triange(cut lines) then adding fold (dotted lines) - should be quite straightforward

there is pattern on the written instructions that looks easy to follow

However let me know

If you could do me a tutorial for Inkscape I would be very grateful. Yes it should be easy (always is if you know how)  :? .  If possible in the tutorial could you explain how I would cut the decoration pieces as well, I know it's 5 smaller triangles, with 4 of them cut to make rhombus.The annoying thing is I can make one in under 5 minutes using a ruler and cutting knife. But, having decided to make my own cutting file, I am now too stubborn to give it up, also I can resize easily, and I have a cutting machine sitting there smirking at me. It was possible to cut from Inkscape and then they went and did an upgrade, and threw out baby and bath water!

Lynda

Offline DogCarbon

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »
Here is my attempt.  I hope you don't mind me stepping in here!  I just had a few moments and thought I would throw out how I would do it.

I had to do some brief math before I started... the 12" equalateral triangle has a height of 10.392"

I use inkscape V 0.46 so it may differ slightly in whatever version you are using:

Step 1:
I started with a square that was 12"x12", turned off all stokes (had to make the square 12x12 again) and I positioned it at x=0, y=0 (just for reference)

I then made the square a path by using Path/Object to Path.  Then I clicked on the nodes button to see the 4 nodes.  I then deleted one of the nodes at the top.  (now I have a triangle that has a 45deg angle).   Click on the top node, and move the node by the X and Y numbers at the top, the X=6 to move it to the middle, and the Y= 10.392
This is the base triangle.

I then copied and pasted the base triangle and made it a new color.

Step 2:
Then I needed to scale/rotate the new triangle by opening Object/ Transform.  then I clicked the scale tab and made it 50% width and 50% height and hit apply.  then I clicked the tab to rotate, and rotated by 60 degrees, and hit apply. (then close the transform window)  I then opened the Object/Align and Distribute window.  I then Aligned the new triangle and the base triangle by highlighint each triangle and centering them and the aligning them to the bottom.

Step3:
I then copied and pasted the base triangle again, and on the x and y (with the lock on) made the width 4" and changed the color of this triangle.  I then aligned them to the base triangle.

Step 4:
Then before I made those triangle into the score lines, I wanted to make the decorative triangle just a tad bit smaller than the score lines.

SO, I copied the 4 smaller triangles and reduced them by 0.2 inches (two clicks on my down arrow)

Step 5:
Then I went back the triangles in Step 3.  I highlighted one of them to see the nodes. and deleted the a node to make this from a triangle just a line.  I then gave this line a stoke color (black) and a width of 0.115 (one click on my up arrow)

I repeated this on the other two triangles from STep 3, and the one triangle from Step 2.... this the score lines.

Step 6:
I then moved things to their layers, to make cutting easier for me.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

And this file is for personal use only, please.

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 03:47:05 PM »
Hello

:)     the more cooks the better the bake I think - so any, and all help, gratefully accepted, since everyone learns in different ways it helps everyone.

Just uploading a video on my youtube channel - newbiecrafter - it will be called Inkscape Triangle Star Card Part 1

Going to also make part 2 and attempt filming my Black Cat cutting - also deal with sending to either Signcut or SCAL from Inkscape

That may not be tonight as it is now 10.45 pm in London and nearly past my bedtime

Hope it helps the understanding - took it slow so you can stop and start if you want to work along with me

Best wishes

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »
Thank you DogCarbon and Pandora for the tutorials. It is great to have tutorials showing a different approach to create a project.

All members are more than welcome to add input on any topic at any time.

Offline labish

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 02:22:05 AM »
Oh thank you so much. I'm overwhelmed.

Lynda

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 02:39:47 AM »
Hopefully not too much to follow along - always holler if you need help - back awake again - grandson sitting day so just dropped him to nursery now time to play a while before I go pick him up again and go back to being chief wooden train track engineer - he is the driver and the boss designer and driver ( at 3) heaven help when he is older .............lol

Offline labish

• Original Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
Hopefully not too much to follow along - always holler if you need help - back awake again - grandson sitting day so just dropped him to nursery now time to play a while before I go pick him up again and go back to being chief wooden train track engineer - he is the driver and the boss designer and driver ( at 3) heaven help when he is older .............lol

Thank you so much
Sorry not to have got back earlier, real life kicked in :( . However, success, cutting file made and tested, works a treat. I got my knickers in a twist with the the original triangle, but with alot of help finally sorted it. I am now sitting here with a silly grin on my face, and loads of trianglly shaped pieces of paper. I can't believe you wrote a tutorial in Inkscape and I made a cutting file in Studio - surreal. Once again thank you, I've got to get my head around Inkscape, but I find it intimidating.

Lynda

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
Quote from: "labish"

Thank you so much
Sorry not to have got back earlier, real life kicked in :( . However, success, cutting file made and tested, works a treat. I got my knickers in a twist with the the original triangle, but with alot of help finally sorted it. I am now sitting here with a silly grin on my face, and loads of trianglly shaped pieces of paper. I can't believe you wrote a tutorial in Inkscape and I made a cutting file in Studio - surreal. Once again thank you, I've got to get my head around Inkscape, but I find it intimidating.

Lynda

Know how that works - my daughter produced her first baby Bear Bradley Carter this morning at 8.15 weighing a healthy 7lbs 7ozs and all thoughts of the video I was going to do went out of the window.  Delighted to have the image of you sitting grinning surrounded by triangles - such fun when it works

Think the trick with Inkscape is to do a little at a time - start with simple shapes and then work your way up - as you gain confidence things do get easier and it is wonderful for doing all sorts of stuff.    Any time you need help and I or lots of others will be happy to repay the debt we owe to everyone who helped us.  I am only scratching the surface and as you can probably see from my youtube channel ( newbiecrafter) tend to make videos which interest me or someone has asked about rather than a progressive learning set.  Though I am considering make some basic - here is how to start and just cover a little each time
All of course put on hold for time to play with new grandson
good luck Pandora  :D