• January 19, 2019, 10:53:40 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Silhouette Designer Edition & Inkscape.  (Read 6975 times)

Offline lollyhackett

• Original Member
Silhouette Designer Edition & Inkscape.
« on: September 23, 2012, 02:15:44 PM »
I'm really hoping somebody here is going to be able to help, I'm at the end of the road with this!

I recently purchased the Silhouette Cameo and upgraded the software to the designer edition since I have a huge amount of SVG files I wanted to use.

Is there anyway you can import an SVG file created in Inkscape into Silhouette, be able to manipulate that file (i.e. physically move the vectors) to design for instance a cupcake topper. Then, print from silhouette, and then cut it?

The problem I am having is after having designed the cupcake topper in Inkscape and printing directly from Inkscape, to try and get the Cameo to print exactly on those printed lines is virtually impossible to achieve a professional cut.

I have converted the SVG file to a DXF and then imported that into Silhouette which allows me to manipulate the graphics, but it's just showing various black outlines and not all of the colors I originally designed it in. Leaving me with the same problem of trying to get the cut precisely on top of the printed image.

Any suggestions?!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
Re: Silhouette Designer Edition & Inkscape.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 06:40:30 AM »
If I am understanding you correctly you are trying to cut an already printed image which you have created in Inkscape, possibly with its outline created in Inkscape too.    To cut in Silhouette Studio DE you will need to drag your original svg vector drawings into Studio (ie from the desktop) or open it via the File Menu.  It is possible it may import grouped and you will need to ungroup it.  One way to do this is right mouse click and select ungroup.  This will then allow you to use the node tool.

It may open with the colours looking pale (see Test 1 screenshot).  If you select your vector images and click on the node tool they will regain their true colours (see Test 2).   For printing it is possible to increase your dpi via the File>Preferences>Output route where you have a choice of 300, 600 and 1200 dpi.  If you select a single drawing, ungroup it, click off, then click on the drawing (do not select using an imaginary box) the nodes will appear (see Test 4).  If not click on the node tool again.  You will only be able to select one drawing at a time (see Test 3).   You will also be able to move the various drawings and adjust them individually if you wish  (see Test 5).

Next you will need to open the Cut Style Window (picture of scissors) to outline your vectors for cutting (see Test 6).    Then open the Registration Mark Setting and select Show Reg Marks to ensure your cuts are within their boundary (see Test 7).

As far as I am aware you will not be able to cut an already printed page unless you import it as a jpg and trace it in Studio. You will not be able to adjust your drawings as this is impossible (other than to make the whole sheet larger or smaller) due to the format.

I hope this make sense for you.  If not, I will look in later today to see if I can help more.

I obtained the free vector drawing from here:-

http://vector4free.com/vectors/id/785

There are several videos on You Tube on how to set up your Cameo for Print and Cut.   The following is just one of them.  On your drawings you will need to use the Cut Style window to ensure your drawings cut. 

I have attached a few screen shots to show that it is possible to adjust and move vectors once imported. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:59:43 PM by brynn »
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline lollyhackett

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
You are ONE AMAZING lady!!!

Thank you so much for helping me with this!

My problem is now no longer a problem thanks to you!

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
I am so pleased I could help.

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 01:01:57 PM »
Glad Technomum got your squared away! I would add that this is one thing that Silh Studio is really good at ...bringing SVGs in with all the colors intact. In that regard it is superior to MakeTheCut. You can even bring in an SVG with a bitmap embedded.

If you do ever want to cut a preprinted/prestamped item with the Silhouette you can with the method linked below, but reserve it for necessities when you can't print from SS for some reason.
http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/2012 ... atemethod/
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:02:58 AM »
Quote from: "cleversomeday"
Glad Technomum got your squared away! I would add that this is one thing that Silh Studio is really good at ...bringing SVGs in with all the colors intact. In that regard it is superior to MakeTheCut. You can even bring in an SVG with a bitmap embedded.

If you do ever want to cut a preprinted/prestamped item with the Silhouette you can with the method linked below, but reserve it for necessities when you can't print from SS for some reason.
http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/2012 ... atemethod/

Thanks for your link. That was very interesting.  I haven't seen anyone else solve the problem but we know you can work magic! :P

Offline lollyhackett

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 05:59:49 AM »
Back again!

I'm having trouble with opening some svg files I have created in Inkscape and opening them in the Silhouette DE Software.

I tried to follow the steps you have posted above, which has worked for some files, but for others when trying to open, it is coming up with "cannot open file, it may be corrupt"

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Lauren

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
Lauren, try copying your design, opening a new inkscape window and pasting your drawing there and resaving.  Sometimes files can corrupt in Inkscape.  All you should need to do is drag the svg off your desktop straight into Silhouette unless it has been saved elsewhere.  If that fails I am sure, that is if you don't mind posting your files here, one of us will find the answer for you.