• March 21, 2019, 11:01:32 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Removing white background in Photoshop for trace in inkscape  (Read 6262 times)

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
Removing white background in Photoshop for trace in inkscape
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
Hi all

Was asked by new owner how to take an image created in photoshop and saved as a jpg file  and wipe out the white background created when saving to jpg format

So the really quick and simple answer is when you have your jpg file open in photoshop, right click on the eraser then select the magic eraser,  left click on the background and it will vanish leaving transparent background,  now save the file as a png file.

Go into inkscape import the png file then use trace image. Make any adjustments to get a good trace

You will have  the image and the trace, so i would suggest creating a new layer then moving the image to it - so if you want to make a whole sheet of toppers - you can duplicate and then switch off the trace image layer whilst sending to the printer and then back on again when you are ready to cut if using in signcut

Thought I would write this while I remembered what I did  :banghead:  so i dont forget next time I am asked

night all
Pandora
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
Re: Removing white background in Photoshop for trace in inks
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:44:20 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I consider myself an intermediate PS user, but I never heard of the magic eraser tool. Now I see there is a background eraser tool, too. So much to explore and learn. Thanks again!
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »
Hello Kay
Since you are one of my go=to gurus in all respects I burst out laughing at the idea of you being an intermediate at anything =  love your blog = love your tutorials and hints and tips and gadgets = completely a gadget freak myself so thank you =   tried the background eraser on the file and it didtnt work on the one I was trying

still if it works for you....... great !
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
Thanks for the time saving idea.

I am another novice Photoshop owner. The magic eraser is one of the few tools I do know about. However, I have never used it to help create cutting files. I like your method as it is so much faster than the method I have been using in Inkscape to remove a background. I will be revisiting a few images I previously considered, 'too much work'.

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
I have already had the occasion to use the magic eraser a couple of times since you brought it to my attention. Still haven't figured out the background eraser.
I posted a project on my blog that combines a good bit of photoshop with cutting. I've been asked to make a tutorial, but quite frankly, my process was ugly and inefficient, so I'll defer that til I learn a little more. I am happy with the product, though, and thought you might want to see it.
http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/2012 ... ower-card/
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
Think the card is wonderful and what a fabulous memory for them
To be honest I found the answer to the query and then havent looked at it again - new grandson taking precedence over all crafting things

Thanks for posting the card great inspiration - makes me want to look at my childrens wedding photos and see if I can find a suitable picture to play with

Pandora