• December 16, 2019, 07:12:18 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Print and cut paperdoll and some questions  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
Print and cut paperdoll and some questions
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
I've got the first paperdoll separated from the Christmas Cottage project layout, and Given a page all her own.
Now I have some questions about how to prepare the SVG file before I upload it for you all to try.
Because the scale of the scene, and the paperdolls is very small (not quite 1/2 inch scale...but pretty close)
I dont think it would work for paper piecing. I'm hoping it might be useful as a print and cut, it will probably need
lots of adjusting,and maybe some major design changes,but without feedback I'll never know.

Do I need to export the vector graphics to a raster format, and then Embed them in the SVG file before it can be used for print and cut?

How much space should I leave between the cut line and the printed area?
Right now there is none at all. The cut line hugs the outer edges of the print design.
The other question that applies to this little file is, how should I Handle perforations and score lines.
when I convert the dashed stroke to a path it looks like little circles or squares in node editing view...is that what I want?

I've made one version of the file with detailed instructions for assembly in it, and another without them.
I've attached a Png of the file as it looks so far.
If someone can answer the question about the images for printing I'll finish the SVG and get it uploaded soon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Print and cut paperdoll and some questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:03:06 AM »
How gorgeous. They look like good for Print and Cut.

I will try to quickly answer your questions. It is nearly 2am and I will look again after I have had some sleep.

First, I prefer the cut line to hug the image. I think most people are doing the same. If anyone did want a white space between the image and the cut line, they can do it themselves in the software they use. If they use Inkscape they only have to use Outset or Dynamic Offset to increase the space between the cut lines.

I often work with vectors and use them for the print. However, I think you would be wise to embed an image in a file so beginners don't get confused. At least an image is one piece and if the vector was present and someone sent it to the cutter it would cut along all the lines. LOL Ask me how I know!

1/2 inch shouldn't be a problem. Most of the new cutters cut intricate small designs and I mean a lot smaller than 1/2 inch.

Dashed lines, don't apply path. The Inkscape developers added a function for cutter owners starting in version 0.47. Draw a dashed line, then go to Extensions>Modify Path>Convert to Dashes. The line will remain a single line and not change to a rectangle.

I hope my answers make sense. I am tired but can't sleep, so I wouldn't be surprised if my response is gibberish. I will check the forum tomorrow after my first cup of coffee.

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:38:17 PM »
Carolyn, Yes your comments made perfect sense, BUT I did the thing with covert-to-dashes, and and then saw two nodes in each dash so I'm thinking I must have done something wrong. [Edit: ahah, I see...the dashes are supposed to have those two nodes,but not the surrounding line they have as path objects.] I know these may seem like stupid questions, but since I cant test the files myself I'm forced to ask them.

I'm going to attach two versions of the SVG file for you to test for me (if you don't mind the hassle)
one with PNGs of the doll image for printing, and another with everything as a vector..so you can see how much better the doll looks unconverted. Also..the Svg artwork is much easier to edit.

when I talked about 1/2 inch in relation to the doll and the Christmas scene, I was talking about miniature scale.
1/2 inch=1 foot, so a doll of a 5'.5"  tall woman would only be about two inches high. I designed the scene in about half inch scale because anything bigger would take up a persons whole dining room table, and would never fit in a window or on a shelf to use as a Christmas decoration. You can see in the png that the eyes, irises and pupils on the doll are very tiny, do you think your cutter could handle a piece as small as that? ( if so,I can reorganize the doll files to be pieced as well as printed and cut ..... if the print and cut actually works )

You said
I often work with vectors and use them for the print. However, I think you would be wise to embed an image in a file so beginners don't get confused. At least an image is one piece and if the vector was present and someone sent it to the cutter it would cut along all the lines. LOL Ask me how I know!
I wont ask you how you know that , I can guess,lol. How do you manage to avoid cutting every path if you want to print the vector artwork for your print and cut file?

For complicated projects like 3d sculptures, or in consideration of crafting beginners, is it best to put instructions in the cut or print-and-cut file, or put them in a separate file ? I want to share some projects with the forum, but I don't want to confuse people or give them cluttered cut files.

Originally I put detailed assembly instructions in the SVG file for the paper doll, but I don't think most people will need them, so they aren't in the ones I've uploaded here. I hope the files work. My fingers are crossed, and I'm holding my breath.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:01:16 AM by Inkspots »
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:56:08 AM »
Hi, I was going to comment yesterday but couldn't get my thoughts straight!

Today I downloaded both files.  You have done a beautiful job on them.

I use eCAL with a Sizzix cutter, but many others here use different cutters with different cutting software and all have their quirks and most of the users know what they are and how to fix/adjust svg files to make them work.  You will almost never have a file that works perfectly across the software/cutters.  ALAS!  For instance my cutting software does not see the gradients in the dress or the rosy cheeks in the face in the svg file so printing from the svg image doesn't work.  

The paper doll file works for me and my software.  Separating the elements/text into separate layers made it easier for me to eliminate what I didn't need/want.  I did make a bitmap copy of the ladies to make a better hi-res printing image and on my software I can place it in the cutting file, and arrange the cut outline around it and p2c.

Since you have marked the score lines for the stand I was able to replicate them in my cutting file.

I hope others will chime in to offer their suggestions, but all in all it is a wonderful file and my granddaughter will love it!

Thanks

I hope you get more
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 05:19:54 PM »
Hi, I have downloaded the files but as it is Sunday I can't play today.
I will cut the design as a Print and Cut and a paper piecing tomorrow.
I will also upload screenshots to show you how the designs look in the cutting software.

As to your question about avoiding cutting every line, when using vector art for print and cut. Sign Cut and many other programs allow you to cut by colour. So you can just select the outer cut line and not the printed component. If necessary I just change the line colour so I can select the correct line to cut.

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 04:45:07 AM »
Here are some photos of your doll. I did do a paper piecing but I failed at gluing the pieces neatly  :oops:. The eyes, mouth and front coat closures did cut but I couldn't get them off the mat without destroying them, as they were so tiny. So there are a few pieces missing from the paper pieced designs. I just wanted to cut it out to give you an idea of how it works.

The print and cut  has a bit of white cardstock showing on the right hand side and it is probably my error. I am only wearing cheap pharmacy glasses until I get my new prescription glasses and trying to line up the red laser light on a small black intersecting set of lines is not easy. At least it gives you a general idea and you now know the size is okay.

I cut the paper piecing with the Zing and the print and cut on the Cougar.

paper piecing.JPG
*paper piecing.JPG
(61.57 kB . 1069x475)
(viewed 504 times)

print and cut 1.JPG
*print and cut 1.JPG
(63.7 kB . 1049x480)
(viewed 524 times)

both.JPG
*both.JPG
(43.83 kB . 485x480)
(viewed 468 times)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:07:52 PM by brynn »

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
Papasue,
I'm so glad you liked the paper doll, and that the file worked for you.
Thank you for your detailed feedback. It is invaluable to me.
I do hope more people will give this little file a try so I can get a clear idea how , this, and other project files might need adjusting
to work with thier cutters and software. It's helpful to know what machine and software your using, and I'm pleased that
the layer system made it easier for you.

Carolyn,
Thank You for posting your photos of the doll parts, all printed, cut out, and pieced!
It's amazing how much of difference it makes to actually see your results. It looks like the printing worked allright, and the doll looks
just as I hoped in the print-and-cut that you did. I didn't see any white around the printing in your photo.
I've been concerned about the construction of the stand, and whether or not that will actually
assemble well, and work as intended. If anyone has ideas for how I could make it easier to assemble
and place parts, please dont hestitate to offer them.

I'm not surprised you had trouble with piecing this one...the smaller parts are just too tiny.
It was interesting as an experiment though, and useful to see how you chose to combine parts to cut it for piecing.
Because the dolls are small, they will probably blow over or fall easily, so in my instructions I had suggested glueing a penny
or other small coin inside of the bottom part of the stand as a weight.

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
Hi again, I forgot to mention I used MTC to cut the paper piecing and Sign Cut for the print and cut. All you need now is a Silhouette volunteer.

The print and cut was easy and your cutting line was nice and smooth without too many nodes.

I cut the print and cut version out of quite heavy cardstock but didn't assemble the stand as it was dinner time. I will put the stand together today and see how the doll holds up in the lounge room when the fan is on. If she keeps falling over I will glue a coin to the base as you suggested.

I will attach the file I modified for the paper piecing. I know you plan to concentrate on print and cut but I thought you may like to see how a file differs. For example the hat and hair are joined to cut as one piece. I know some dedicated people will spend hours cutting many small pieces and re-assembling a file. I am lazy and prefer print and cut any day.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:08:59 PM by brynn »

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »
Carolyn,
thanks for uploading the file with your modifications, and the descriptions of what you did to change the file for cutting, as well as adding the software info.
 8-)  
I've made a note of some of the things I've learned so far. ( I hadnt even thought about removing the fill from cut only files)
The Christmas Cottage project pretty much has to be print and cut, but I've had lots of Ideas for cut only and paper piecing projects to, so the information about preparing files for them is useful. Besides, it was fun to see how you chose to do it.

I was careful to try and make things like cut lines with a minimum number of nodes,  glad that worked out.
I feel sorry for the doll now, if she's going to be subjected to Fan-force winds. lol
I'll be interested to hear how she held up to that.

I seriously thought about making the dolls with nothing but little glue tabs on the feet to hold them up, but that would make it impossible to move them again once they were placed,so now they each have a stand.

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »
Inkspot, I don't see the new attachment or was it just meant for Carolyn to test?  

I have enjoyed the conversation between the two of you, it is very helpful in the learning process for all of us.

Thanks
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 01:14:33 AM »
Papasue,
sorry, I'm having some trouble with forum posts.
I dont know if its a problem with the board, or my internet service.
I'll get back to this as soon as I can, and re-upload any missing attachments.

p.s. No, its definately not just for Carolyn to try, your feedback is valuable and welcome.
The days are flying by, and there just never seems to be enough time to do everything this time of year.

Offline lkc

• Original Member
    • http://thealliancetrader.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 12:06:38 AM »
What an adorable paperdoll!

Thank you! :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:10:56 PM by brynn »
Laura
LKC Designs
________________________________________________________________________________________
Owner of Cricut Expressions, Windows Vista, 7 & 8, Inkscape 0.46, 0.48, Scal1, CorelDraw and  a spoiled rotten chinchilla!

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 07:36:02 AM »
Thanks Ikc,
Your welcome, I'm glad you like it.  :)
If you decide to try the print and cut, please let me know if you have any problems, with either the file, or the finished doll.

I'm going to wait a while to post the christmas Cottage design, now that Christmas is over I can take my time, and finish things up properly and still get it uploaded
in time for Christmas...next year. I'm just starting to wonder if it will be something people can use. Although I'm having fun with the design, I'm beginning to see that it may not be real-world compatible.

Edit: papasue,
I think the attachment you couldnt find was mentioned in a duplicate post, but if something is missing just tell me what message it was supposed to be in, and I'll put it back.