• October 23, 2019, 07:34:53 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Drawing lace with Inkscape - an experiment  (Read 7469 times)

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
Drawing lace with Inkscape - an experiment
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:16:34 AM »
Just thought you might enjoy seeing this topic,
it's kind of an On-going project we've been discussing in the Inkscape forum, off and on for about a year.
:P
Input and feedback is welcome.
I have no idea if any of my lace designs will ever be useful for cutting, but it's been an interesting experiment so far.
here's a link to the topic. http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11511

I'm hoping to get the Brussels lace heart perfected in time for Valentine's day designs.
Based on the feedback I've gotten so far, it may turn out that printing, or embossing
will be the only way the drawing can be used, but I sincerely hope that will not be the case.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:36:21 PM by brynn »
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
Re: Drawing lace with Inkscape - an experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:29:46 AM »
Hi there
Is it lace or a file ?   If it is an svg file, do I assume that those are nodes that I can see in the picture ?   That seems to be a huge number there.  

Would you be able to post a picture which just shows the stroke line and not the nodes? Since I cant enlarge the picture it is a little difficult to see clearly

Pandora
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:55:16 AM »
Hi newbiecat,
yes its a node view, lots and lots of nodes.
lol...looks almost black doesnt it?
If you click the link there are lots of screen-shots in the other topic, and an svg file to download, but I can post
some here to. My plan is eventually to share the svg files if I come up with anything that's usable.
I'll hunt up a png of some of the lace and upload it.
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
Your lace looks very pretty. Thanks for the link to the lace topic, it was interesting to see how the lace designs evolved. However, I don't thank you for my late night  :lol: After reading the lace topic my mind was full of "what if's" and other designing ideas.

I think you may find Monica's website interesting http://www.fam-bjork.se/monicas-hobbysi ... _robo.html, especially her doileys http://www.fam-bjork.se/monicas-hobbysi ... oilys.html as it will give you an idea on how intricate some designs can be and still cut well.

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:28:04 AM »
Lol Carolynn,
sorry for the late night. I know sometimes a suggestion or idea from someone in a forum, or a a little thing a friend has said can set Ideas jostling around in your head so that it's impossible to rest until you try them out. I've had a lot of sleepless nights trying out the techniques those people described to me, or experimenting with Ideas that they, or someone here...or well...almost anywhere, had  inspired.

Thanks for posting the link to Monica's website. I checked it out right away, but I suspect I will be going back many times.
She uses Autocad for her work, and no doubt that gives her great control and precision in creating her designs.
It's all just Lovely, and some of the lace objects are surprisingly delicate.

If you think there's any interest I can review, cleanup, and upload one of the lace frames or other pieces for everyone to try.
The feedback would help me figure out if I need to change the way I'm working with the lace idea...or if some of these things might eventually be
more than just an enjoyable Inkscape exercise for me. I give you all fair warning though, they all contain a lot of nodes and tiny, cuts and piercings.

If we have tested a design in this forum, and it seems to work well, should we add it to the free svg files forum, or just leave it only here?

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »
Sorry for the late response. I think it would be wonderful to try cutting your lace design.

If you do share any files here, do not feel they have to stay on this forum only. They are your designs to share where and when you please. I think you would benefit from a wider range of people if you share on both forums.

Offline Maryt

• Original Member
    • http://swtharmonygraphics.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:30:06 AM »
Wow those are incredible!
You are very clever Inkspots...there must be a lot of work involved in those
Well done!

Mary
Windows 7; Paint Shop Pro; Inkscape; Ecal.

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »
Maryt,

Thank you, I'm glad you like them.
 :) the biggest job with these designs so far, is node cleanup and dealing with
distortion in the ones that have to bend around sharp curves or angles.
 Drawing them is fun though.

I love to see what other people are doing, and I was admiring
the designs posted in "The Circle challenge" topic a day or so ago.
I wasnt sure if I should reply to it, because it isnt a new thread, but those are some really wonderful designs.
if you haven't already seen it you should go give it a look.

Hi Carolynn,
Thanks for your reply on the posting question.
I'll try to decide on a design to upload, and double check it for multiplied nodes etc.
I'd been hoping to finish the lace heart, but there never seems to be any time for me to really concentrate on it.

Offline Maryt

• Original Member
    • http://swtharmonygraphics.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 11:40:43 AM »
Oh Im replying to all the posts I find interesting lol
Even if they years old! LOL
I think you are very clever...as I am new to Inkscape it all looks very complicated to me
Thank you for sharing your talent
I will go look at the thread you mentioned, thank you!

:)
Windows 7; Paint Shop Pro; Inkscape; Ecal.

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 06:14:04 PM »
Hi Inkspots, feel free to chat on any of the old topics. It is often good to revisit a topic as new ideas and more efficient ways to create a project can be added.

I have been experimenting with lace designs. I tried tiled clones but could not get consistent results. Scatter involved too much experimenting to get a tidy circle. I had the most success when I modified the shape to fit within a set of guidelines and then used Transform. For example - I decided to create a circle using 24 of the shapes, therefore I needed a set of guides at a spacing of 15 degrees. I modified the design to fit within the guides. In Transform I set the angle at 15 degrees to match the angle used of the guides. Can I ask which method you used? The heart shape looks like a tough one to create and I am not even going to try that one :lol:

If the above did not make sense here is a screenshot of the guides.

mle.JPG
*mle.JPG
(61.58 kB . 964x445)
(viewed 495 times)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:30:45 PM by brynn »

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »
Carolynn,
Yes, your explanation with the illustration made perfect sense. The picture was very helpful in seeing just exactly what you did.
I'm not sure how different this is from what I've tried already, but I think I will try modifying some of the lace segments in the heart according to your method, and see what happens. I had tried something very similar, but I dont think I had moved the object center of the lace segment down so far. That technique, coupled with the " shape the design segments between two heart shaped guide paths" idea,may help reduce the distortion as the lace edging is bent along a sharp angle and rising curve. I really had no idea when I started whether creating lace designs would be complicated or not. :P

About how I've made lace borders and frames:
I find I get the best results so far by trying to keep things very simple...creating one or more horizontally symmetrical segments
that can be duplicated and joined to fit the final shape I want, and then deforming them with pattern along path. Reducing the sharpness of angles
and stretching curves also seems to help. I keep the lace segments grouped, but not merged until the final result is something I like, and then union everything.
Grouping only can cause the lace pieces to break apart once all transforms are applied, so path>union-ing everything eliminates that potential problem. the grouped segments would be cut apart at every join if it wasn't done, so now that I'm thinking about the kind of forum this is...that much was probably pretty obvious. Using odd numbers of segments seems to work better than even numbers, and other than that, just calculate the number of repeats based on how large you want the border, and how tiny the cuts you can make are.
I don't use tiled clones only because the shaped path transformations don't seem to work properly with them, and I know I wont need to alter the pattern segments as the lace border is made.
Does anyone know if theres a way to get Inkscape to hunt down and merge any overlapping nodes I haven't found
by eye? I want to upload something for you all to try and cut, but I don't want any cutter blades getting broken, software crashing, or paper being cut to shreds.

MaryT,
I've often wanted to reply to older threads, now I guess I will just go ahead and do it. 8-)
( Some forums get really annoyed when people post on old topics, so I had tried to resist doing that.)

Edit:
I'm uploading a preliminary version of the circle frame, and anyone who wants to risk it is free to try it out.
I'm pretty sure there is more node cleanup needed and there may be some overlapping nodes that I missed, but I've already spent hours pouring over the thing selecting and merging or deleting nodes by eye...and frankly, I'm tired of doing it. I swear it seems like Inkscape puts most of them back when I close the edited file after saving.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:04:33 AM by Inkspots »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
I downloaded the file, thank you. Unfortunately I can't cut at the moment due to super high humidity levels. It is so bad most of the doors in the house won't close at the moment as they have absorbed too much water. It is funny if a bad tempered family member tries to slam a door, as they won't slam  :lol: . Not to mention my craft room flooded on the weekend and everything is still sitting on the benches.

Offline scud

• Original Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »
That answers the question I just asked in chat. I should have read the messages first. Did anything get damaged in your Craft Room?

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:24 PM »
Carolyn,
I tried to reply to your message once before, but by the time I finished typing I was logged out,
and clicking the submit button didnt post the message. To make matters worse, I didnt realize it hadnt posted.

This time I'll keep it short.
Sorry to hear your place has been hit by the storm.
Hope everyone is ok, and soon doors will be slamming with a satisfying bang.
Hope you have lots of help with the cleanup.
Hope that soon, you can take your craft supplies down off the benches and take a deep breathe, and relax for a minute
before you get to cutting again.
Take care, be safe
best wishes.

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
Hi Inkspots, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I only wanted to explain why I can't cut at the present. High humidity and heat are not good when trying to cut intricate designs as the paper just tears. Annoying, as I would love to cut your beautiful lace design. Craftroom flooding is minor as it was clean rainwater, more detail on this post http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?topic=1078.0 , to not interrupt the discussion about your beautiful lace designs. Later today I should have my room back in order and I may try cutting vinyl as moisture does not affect it.

I would love to see photos if anyone else has cut the lace design. Hint hint Angela the queen of intricate cutting.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:33:28 PM by brynn »