• July 16, 2018, 05:53:46 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Hello from Georgia, USA  (Read 2039 times)

Offline icancu2

• Original Member
Hello from Georgia, USA
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
Hello, I am from Georgia, USA and am fairly new to svg files.  I have downloaded alot of free files on the internet, some I can use and some I can not.  For some reason some of them import messed up.  I would love to learn how to fix those files and maybe create my own.  A little scared of that because I can't draw a straight line!  Thanks in advance for all the help and tutorials I will be using.

Dian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Windows XP, Windows 7, SCAL2
Cricut Expression

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Hello from Georgia, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:10:26 AM »
Welcome Dian,
I wonder why some SVG files open messed up. Can you show us a screenshot of how one of the files look when you open it? It may be as easy as changing a few settings.

Do you open the downloaded files or open a new document and then import the file?

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:02:16 AM »
Welcome Dian,
Did you download the files from a website that is for electronic cutters?  There are a lot of svg files online that were designed as graphics rather than for die cutting, and they might not cut well without at least some work.  One easy way to check is to open the file in Inkscape and from the menu select View/Display mode/Outline.  If the artwork doesn't look like what you downloaded then it was designed for appearance and will require work to cut.  HTH
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline scud

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
Hi and welcome Dian. Are you using a Die Cutting Machine? I have two and love them. You will find lots of help here.
Barbara

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 05:41:49 AM »
Hi icancu2,
I think you'll love working with Inkscape, creating your own svg files, and modifying those
you've downloaded to suit your needs.
Welcome to the Forum.

Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »
Hello Dian from a very snow covered London,  looks pretty at the moment

As commented above some files are great for printing but not for cutting,  think there is a post on here about a fire department logo and that is a classic example of a svg file that needed quite a lot of work before being able to cut with it

Have fun and jump in - the only thing to remember is that most of what we do is virtual and there is always the undo button - lol

Pandora
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it