• January 24, 2019, 06:42:17 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Engraved Perspex coaster  (Read 5322 times)

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
Engraved Perspex coaster
« on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
Thanks to Dawn who supplied me with some 10cm perspex circles after our retreat here in the UK I took a leaf from Mark's book( another attendee) and  I found some 2mm thick card/chipboard and cut a circle slightly larger with the card stuck down on my mat with masking tape. I extracted the cut circle and replaced it with the perspex circle

I took the Apex Lake font and edited slightly, used the eggbot hatch fill, exported it to SCAL, and then reversed the image and engraved it on the bottom with my SB F= 100 V = 800

Slight issies with the hatching on the left hand side where I left the cling film on the perspex surface ( note to self wear glasses to check next time) but once I paused the SB and then managed to remove the film the rest of it looks great - though very hard to photograph without getting reflections.

Apologies for slightly blurry photo

I have placed it in the gallery - for some reason I cannot upload the file to this post
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=32&image_id=184

I also have put in a picture of the bib for my new grandson Bear - which makes me smile .............

Anyway - now I can produce heat proof coasters which are engraved - very pleased with myself tonight !

Pandora  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
Re: Engraved Perspex coaster
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »
I took a look at your coaster, very nice. :)
I'm curious about how you did the engraving,
did you do it with the silver bullet?
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
Yes with my engraving tool, F(blade)= 100 V(speed) = 800   Used the eggbot hatch fill command in inkscape to fill the shapes and the letter

Pandora
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline scud

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:03:26 AM »
Looks good Pandora. I will have to try and find some perspex shapes here in Oz and try it.
Barbara

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:25:32 AM »
Thanks pandora,
I was curious and since I'm still trying to figure out what the various machines can do I thought I'd ask.
The engraving looks very nice, and I can see the tiny cross hatching in the photo.
I like the swirly flourishes in your design to.
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »
The crosshatching was set to 2 in the eggbot window - it can go even tighter but I quite like seeing the lines,  if I can post an image to the gallery, I used the same command without crosshatching to engrave a horse from a painting by a friend which I am pleased with since it reflects the movement of the horse

Pandora

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »
I agree with you, it's nice to be able to see the crosshatching.
It enhances the design, it's subtle, but I think the engraving would be less appealing without it.
I'm going to go look for the horse engraving in your gallery.
 8-)

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 05:08:59 PM »
Impressive. Like Barbara, I need to try more engraving. I love the crosshatch pattern and never thought of using it. I have only engraved with parallel lines. LOL to needing glasses to check for a protective coating. I am forever missing things as I couldn't be bothered looking for my glasses.

Pandora, the bib looks great. Did you use heat set vinyl? Also what fabric type is the bib, as most of the ones I see have a raised pile? There are a few new family members and I like the idea of making a few personalised bibs.

Barbara, can you source perspex and other plastics easily in WA? If not there is a good site on Ebay http://stores.ebay.com.au/372-ACRYLIC-Online-Store They have a wholesale factory and are not far from my place. They do take custom orders and I thought you may be interested if you cannot source perspex locally.

Inkspots quite a few of the machines can engrave and have the engraving holders with diamond tips available. This may not be a complete list but here are the ones I know have the ability, the Pazzle Inspiration, The Black Cat Cougar range, the Silver Bullet Range, the KNK range and the Gazelle. It seems to be possible with machines with a cutting force of 500 or more. If a machine has more than 500gsm of force but doesn't have a special engraving tip it may still be possible if the bladeholder clamp will fit a variety of bladeholders because one could just buy the holder from one of the other companies.

Offline scud

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »
Thanks Caroline. Will check it out. I have used the eggbot with a pen. Jo has done it on Acetate. Looks good and good fun. Just need the mojo.

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
HI Carolyn

Yes I used heat set vinyl and the bib is slightly ribbed flannel type material - but as it is for my grandson I thought I can always do him a new one if that doesnt stay the course.  

The engraving is great fun - this coaster took about 13 mins to engrave it total --  so I started it off and then went off to do something else while it completed.  YOu do need to secure it firmly to the mat, which is why I cut a circle out of thicker cardboard and then anchored it inside that with extra tape.  

You also need to check for stray lines that happen sometimes when applying the hatch fill

Pandora

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 06:26:07 PM »
Thanks for the info Carolyn, and Newbiecat,

Now if I can only narrow the list of possibilities down to machines that can do both the engraving, and cut
mdf for paint panels, book binding boards and 3d sculptures.oh...and that have software that will run on my Linux O.S.
...and that can do extremely intricate designs.....and maybe make me a cup of coffee in the morning.

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »
Quote from: "Inkspots"
Thanks for the info Carolyn, and Newbiecat,

Now if I can only narrow the list of possibilities down to machines that can do both the engraving, and cut
mdf for paint panels, book binding boards and 3d sculptures.oh...and that have software that will run on my Linux O.S.
...and that can do extremely intricate designs.....and maybe make me a cup of coffee in the morning.

(Image removed from quote.)

:lol:  :lol: coffee in the morning would be great. It sounds like you need  laser or cnc machine for your projects.

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 10:33:02 PM »
lol carolyn,
maybe I went a little over the top there for a minute.
...but hey, why not dream big?!

seriously, I'll eventually have to settle for something pretty
inexpensive if I can ever afford a cutter at all.

Offline marsican

• Original Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and joined today. About the machines that engrave. I have seen on ebay an engraving tool for the craftrobo/silhouette. I don't know much about engraving, and I found this after looking for an embossing tool for the craftrobo. The coaster is great and very inspirational.