• November 16, 2019, 11:21:36 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Having trouble merging images for laser cutting?  (Read 3408 times)

Offline goblindreams

• Original Member
Having trouble merging images for laser cutting?
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »
Helloooo everyone, glad to have found you here.

I use laser cut acrylic in some of my designs, and have thus far relied on my supplier to do the designs for me, but it's not ideal, so they introduced me to the basics of inkscape.  I LOVE IT!!!

I have mastered outlining text, merging shapes and the basics of tracing images, but now I'm stuck and I want to do so much more.

So.... I decided to use one of my existing designs and add some wings...

Got the look I wanted - so started to get rather impressed with myself, and changed the colours for cut lines/engraving etc

All good until I realised:

- The centre sun like circle needs to be engraved (blue) on the inside of pendant, but cut (red line) on outside of image.  I thought I'd be clever and work a way around this.  Simple I thought, put a blue line around it, then merge all the images together and do a red outline around everything..... but not so simple >:(

Firstly, I can't work out how to merge them all together.  If I try 'combine' everything goes white.  If I try union the centre sun goes completely black. 

And then to add to matters I looked at the outline and realised they are still showing as overlapping, and no matter how I try and can't solve the problem without starting a new one, lol

Maybe I shouldn't have been so ambitious, but I am a control freak... I am addicted to using inkscape in a very short period of time.. and I want to, no need to, learn how to make it work for me.

Any guidance from you lovely people would be most appreciated.  I am  a newbie newbie... I just completed my first design yesterday, now I want to design evrything in the world!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:57:23 PM by brynn »
I use Windows 7, No cutting machine - I design my own items to be cut by another company

http://www.goblindreams.co.uk

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
Re: Having trouble merging images for laser cutting?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 08:50:36 AM »
Move your sun outline and star centrepiece away from the drawing.  Select one of the wings and use Path>Exclusion.  Select the other and do the same.  If you have a problem with this use Path>Break Apart and try again.  Make a copy of your sun outline and move aside.   Line up the other copy with your wings and select all. then use Path>Union.  This won't give you the full blue line for engraving but if you select your second sun outline and use Ctrl+( you will be able to create a slightly smaller version that should sit perfectly within the outer perimeter of the sun shape that you now have at the centre top and bottom of your design.  To create an outline of the entire drawing, make a duplicate (Ctrl+D).  If you have anything grouped you will need to ungroup first.  Drag aside, select and use Path>Break Apart, then Path>Union.  This will remove any pattern within the outline.  You will be left with a perfect outline which you can colour red.  Slide into position.  Should you like the outline to be a little larger than the original, select it and use Ctrl+) to increase its size.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:13:16 AM by Technomum »
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline goblindreams

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »
Quote from: "Technomum"
Move your sun outline and star centrepiece away from the drawing.  Select one of the wings and use Path>Intersection.  Select the other and do the same.  If you have a problem with this use Path>Break Apart and try again.  Make a copy of your sun outline and move aside.   Line up the other copy with your wings and select all. then use Path>Union.  This won't give you the full blue line for engraving but if you select your second sun outline and use Ctrl+( you will be able to create a slightly smaller version that should sit perfectly within the outer perimeter of the sun shape that you now have at the centre top and bottom of your design.  To create an outline of the entire drawing, make a duplicate (Ctrl+D).  If you have anything grouped you will need to ungroup first.  Drag aside, select and use Path>Break Apart, then Path>Union.  This will remove any pattern within the outline.  You will be left with a perfect outline which you can colour red.  Slide into position.  Should you like the outline to be a little larger than the original, select it and use Ctrl+) to increase its size.

Thanks so much, most helpful, think I may have sussed it now :)

THANK YOU!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
I use Windows 7, No cutting machine - I design my own items to be cut by another company

http://www.goblindreams.co.uk

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
On reading my post again I realise I have badly edited it.  Many apologies I must have been asleep.  I should have said Path>Exclusion NOT Path>Intersetion.  Also, where I say "If you have anything grouped you will need to ungroup first" this should follow after "dragging aside the duplicate".  Hope that makes sense.  It is not possible to break the design apart if it contains any groups.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM