• July 17, 2019, 05:22:47 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Need a little help, plz  (Read 5406 times)

Offline auntbeepbeep

• Original Member
Need a little help, plz
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »
Hi, guys.  It's been forever since I posted...well, since I've had any time to play period.  I hope all is well with everyone.

I downloaded an svg and I would like to cut it (I have a Cricut E).  However, the owner's copyright is on it and I don't know how to get it off.  I have tried to ungroup in Inkscape, but because it's an advanced design (for me anyway), I don't know how to put it all back together.  Any help would be great.

Any help in teaching me how to make something like this would also be great, i.e. youtube links, tutorials, etc.

**issue fixed so file removed
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:04:23 AM by auntbeepbeep »

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Re: Need a little help, plz
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
Hi Aunt beepbeep, If you want to do this in Inkscape (or SCAL2), all you need to do is open the file, select the text and delete it.

ETA:  An even easier way is to simply move the whole file so that the text is off of the cutting portion of the mat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline auntbeepbeep

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »
Heather, when I open the file in Inkscape, it says there are groups, which I know that Inkscape doesn't like.  So, instead of ungrouping to get to the text, how would I do it?  Everything is all together unless I ungroup it.  If I can only adjust the text, how do I do that?  Thanks for your help.

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:00:32 PM »
The only time you need to worry about Groups is either when trying to use Path operations in Inkscape or if you are using SCAL1.  The text is separate from the card, so all you need to do is select it and delete.  Now that I've looked at the file again I see that the score lines are actually Groups of rectangles, so you might want to replace them with something else.  If you are using SCAL1 you will want to Ungroup them and then select all of the score rectangles and use Control K (Path/Combine).
Heather

Offline auntbeepbeep

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
LOL---and I AM using SCAL1   :)

I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  Thanks!

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:41 PM »
Morning

Did you copy and paste this file from another file ?    When I looked at it, I discovered that the shapes were in the root layer , which you can see but really can cause issues with sending to cut, not ever sure why just know that it does.   So I have copied and pasted them into a new layer I have called base.   

I have resized the page layout to an A4 portrait piece of paper since I wasn't sure what size you wanted to cut this at. 

I have grouped the outside and the score lines together to allow me to  turn them sideways, together - if you want to cut them separately ungroup them in inkscape and change colour on the score lines before sending to SCAL

Perhaps as per the request on the original file once you have sorted this it should be taken down from the site

Attached the file below

Pandora  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:58:51 PM by brynn »
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 03:25:56 AM »
Hi auntbeepbeep,

I couldn't open your svg in Inkscape at all, so I'm not going to be any help with it.
I opened it in gimp and exported it as an svg that Inkscape could open.
Tried downloading twice, but neither file would open in Inkscape until I'd opened it in gimp first
and exported it after editing. ( I deleted the text, but my version has no score lines and looks odd)
I dont know why I couldnt get a decent download of the file.

You can double click any group to open it for editing, and close it
by just clicking a blank area of the canvas, so even if the text is grouped with the rest
it should be easy to select and delete it without disturbing your card design.

If scal1 doesn't like groups, won't you have to ungroup it anyway?
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 05:49:42 AM »
SCAL1 is very different in what is a problem and what isn't.  Stroke, fill, layers, and page size are all ignored.  Artwork in the Root directory is usually not a problem.  Files where Path Effect Editor was used can be a problem.  Inkscape 0.48 can be a problem.  Having said all of that, this file looked fine in SCAL1 as-is with the original attachment.  I'm using 0.48, so after I made changes it didn't work well until I reworked it so I could use Path/Union.  It might not have been a problem if I was using Inkscape 0.47.  Pandora, your file wouldn't work correctly in SCAL1 either.

Auntbeepbeep, if you do find files that won't work in SCAL1, the things to try are:  check for Group and remove them, copy the artwork to a new file, and then if the other things don't work use Path/Union on the artwork.
Heather

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 01:44:03 PM »
I was actually looking at the svg file in Inkscape and having a file sitting in root is definately an issue.
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline auntbeepbeep

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »
Ok.  Heather, I tried to import the file into Inkscape and just select the text, but it wants to select the entire image (card and text) as one item, unless I 'ungroup' them.  So, I then ungrouped it, removed the score lines (cause I can do those manually) and then selected Path/Union to ensure the design and it opens in SCAL1 perfectly.  Thank you!

As far as the file, the creator says she creates in CAD and then saves for all sorts of formats.  I downloaded the zip file and then saved the svg format.  I don't know if this plays into the issue you were writing about, Newbie.

Thanks for teaching me something.  Now I'm gonna see if my Cricut will cut the tiny bits or not.  Wish me luck!

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
Auntbeepbeep, anytime that you Import a file in Inkscape it automatically adds the whole file into a group, so if you just open the file there is one less step.   :)

I think most of the vector programs work in the root.  I know that when I create files in AI and then open them in Ink that the design is in the Root.
Heather

Offline auntbeepbeep

• Original Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »
I didn't know that about the the grouping when importing.  I have always imported.  I don't know why.  Thanks!

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »
Maybe my problem with this file, is that I'm using Inkscape 0.48.4.
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline craftysoo

• Original Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »
Hi I'm a newbie to the site and found you by way of trying to find out what inkscape was.  I want to be able to make my own designs and this seems to be the way to do it, am I correct?  I tried to follow your link to download but after the initial green arrow there were several other downloads none of which was inkscape itself, just something about maps (?) I'm not new to computers, I have been using them since the 90's but I'm baffled as to how to complete this download. Could you please give me any pointers? Also I have a Robo Lite (it's 2 years old and uses GSD files) and wondered if the inkscape software is compatable with it? I know next to nothing about inkscape so I'm blundering about in the dark a bit. If anyone could give me some help I'd be so gratefull.

Soo     :?:

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
    • http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »
Quote from: craftysoo
Hi I'm a newbie to the site and found you by way of trying to find out what inkscape was.  I want to be able to make my own designs and this seems to be the way to do it, am I correct?  I tried to follow your link to download but after the initial green arrow there were several other downloads none of which was inkscape itself, just something about maps (?) I'm not new to computers, I have been using them since the 90's but I'm baffled as to how to complete this download. Could you please give me any pointers? Also I have a Robo Lite (it's 2 years old and uses GSD files) and wondered if the inkscape software is compatable with it? I know next to nothing about inkscape so I'm blundering about in the dark a bit. If anyone could give me some help I'd be so gratefull.

Soo     :?:

Hi Soo

I'm still using the 0.47 version which you can download from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscap ... cape/0.47/just select the file: inkscape-0.47-3.exe when you click on this link a little box should appear on your screen and you decide where you want to download your inkscape to.

Then have a look at the last post on this link: [dead link removed]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:59:50 PM by brynn »
http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftsuprint.com/default.cfm?designer=379

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)

Offline craftysoo

• Original Member
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
Hi Angel13

Thanks for the help I managed to download it ok.  I'm just going to have a little play with it, it looks very interesting, I love art of any kind and have dabbled in computer art in the past.  

I tried to do some designs with the Robo software but it wasn't very user friendly (I thought anyway), hopefully I'll have better luck with Inkscape.

Soo