• August 16, 2018, 08:20:01 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nube from Beautiful BC  (Read 1565 times)

Offline DougC

• Original Member
Nube from Beautiful BC
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
Hi all. Just a little bit about me. After, what seems a lifetime, driving trucks and being in 4 wrecks had finally caught up with me. I should have died in 3 of them but didn't. Instead, I ended up with severe PTSD and Major depression. Now, I'm not crying the blues, cuz I believe it was by divine intervention that I never had any physical injuries, just mental. It was at the point where I couldn't work at anything for more than 15-20 minutes I would be pooped and have to go to bed for the rest of the day. Out of boredom I took up sandblasting glass. I can do the sandblasting end of it, but the graphic art part is driving me crazy. One of the problems is I can't remember new things (amnesia) from the PTSD. I literally have to be taken by the hand and shown how to do things over and over and.....over! Anyway, I'm glad I found this website. I have Inkscape, Gimp, AI and Corel. I have to change bitmaps etc. into vectors and I really suck at it. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Nube from Beautiful BC
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 06:53:03 PM »
Welcome Doug. I also have AI and Corel but find Inkscape is so much easier to use and there are lots of tutorials available. Give a holler any time and we will try to help or direct you to a tutorial or video.

Feel free to add your project images to our gallery, so we can all admire your work. Sandblasted glass looks great.

I have to agree BC is beautiful, so much so, we have started planning a holiday for May next year. We have the flights booked and now have the difficult task of deciding what to see first.

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »
Doug, I cannot even imagine what you have been through and are still going through but happy to have you here.  Glass etching WOW, can't wait to see a design implemented.

Being in my 70's the memory thing plagues me as well.  I cannot remember more than one step at a time when using tutorials.  What I have found works for me is to open a tutorial/video and open Inkscape and have them side-by-side on my screen (I do have a 23" monitor since I can't see well either).  Then I can look at a step, stop the video or click on Inkscape and do that step and keep switching back and forth until I've got it.

There are a lot of video's for beginners in the tutorial section and I think you will find AussieCarolyn's very good.  She speaks clearly and slowly.

Welcome again, and pleas post any project you get done with Inkscape, no matter how simple it is.  The first step is always the hardest and Inkscape is not for wimps....so keep on keeping on.
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »
Hi Doug,

Welcome to the forum.
Feel free to ask anything ,anytime....or share your ideas.

p.s. Like lots of people that wander into the inkscape forums I've tried lots of other programs, and still use some of them,
but I find drawing with inkscape is what I prefer because editing and recycling old work, and making changes as I go is so easy in Inkscape.
I've been playing with frame-by-frame animations and drawing the cells in Inkscape. lol.
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice