• November 17, 2019, 11:46:18 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Inkscape shutting down  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Laurianne

• Original Member
    • Eye Draw It, Red Cabin Studio
Inkscape shutting down
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »
I often have trouble with Inkscape shutting down in he middle of a project.  I have to constantly be saving or I am in big trouble.  Does anyone else experience this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
Re: Inkscape shutting down
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »
Hi Laurianne,  I find .47 more stable than .46 but you can autosave your work now in .47.  Go to Inkscape Preferences (Shift+Ctrl+P) and choose Save.  There you will be able to save to a place of your choice (I use desktop) and also the frequency of the saves.  Here is a screenshot of the Save option.  Apologies in advance if you already know this.

[image missing]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:45:50 AM by brynn »
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline Laurianne

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:13:43 PM »
Techie,

No I did not realize I could do that.  It will be a huge help.  Thank you so much!

Offline scud

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 06:34:02 PM »
I couldn't get it to save where I wanted it but accidentally found out it was saving to a personal folder where my documents downloads etc were so now I know where to look.
Barbara

Offline Laurianne

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »
Ok, so now Inkscape has crashed and won't open up at all.  I had to reload it once already.  It seems to me that  Inkscape .46 on XP was more stable that .47 on Windows 7.  I am wondering if it is possible that Inkscape doesn't like Windows 7.  Any input.....?

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:55:55 AM »
I haven't heard anything untoward but have you tried a web search?
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:38:53 AM »
Hi Laurianne, I have actually had this happen to me twice in the past few weeks.

It crashes and then I get error messages when trying to open Inkscape or an existing svg. I found if I turned the computer off and then back on, everything worked just fine. It has only happened twice and both times I had a lot items on the canvas and jpeg images. Before it crashed Inkscape seemed to run very slow, for example zooming was very slow to change the image on the screen.

Did you have a lot on the screen or a really large bitmap image? If it happens again it may be worth restarting the computer to see if the problem resolves. If it continues to happen maybe a solution can be found on the http://www.inkscapeforum.com/. Let us know how it goes.

I am running Inkscape 0.47 with Windows 7 and the computer is 32bit.

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
    • http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:18 AM »
I don't have Windows 7, I have Vista but when Inkscape crashed on me it was usually because I had a lot of jpeg images and designs on the same page; so what I usually do is cut/paste some of the designs to a new page and then delete the original design from the page I was working on.....Does this make sense??
http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftsuprint.com/default.cfm?designer=379

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)

Offline Laurianne

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
Ok, thanks for the input Carolyn and Angel.  I think you might be right so I'll try your suggestions.  I am going to have to reload it first because I can't get it to work at all right now.  My husband talked me into loading it on his Linux machine.  I am currently working on it using the Ubuntu operating system.  Perhaps it is more stable in an Open Source system.  I will explore that idea as well.

Thanks again for your input.