• November 17, 2019, 09:14:03 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Inkscape and cpu usage  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Angelcraft

• Original Member
Inkscape and cpu usage
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »
When I use inkscape, my cpu usage seems to go up to 100%. Has anyone else had this problem before ?

TIA

Hayley x
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Programes used: Inkscape 0.48 Brother scan n cut Canvas

Machine: Brother Scan N Cut

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
Re: Inkscape and cpu usage
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:08:28 PM »
Haley, I have never seen CPU usage.  Where do you find the info?  I will watch it and let you know once I find where to look? :). do you think it has an effect one way or another?
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline Angelcraft

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
Hi PapaSue. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I have been really busy. You can find your CPU usage on your task manager. When using Inkscape mine goes up to 100% and I can't do anything. Computer freezes.

Many thanks

Hayley x
Programes used: Inkscape 0.48 Brother scan n cut Canvas

Machine: Brother Scan N Cut

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 08:15:52 AM »
What is your CPU usage without Inkscape?  Mine is around 1-6% and when I opened Inkscape the highest spike I saw was about 18% and then it dropped back down to the 2-6% range.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 12:57:15 AM »
Hhmmm....I guess this topic is a little old.  But this might help someone, at some point.

PapaSue, being on a Mac, probably can't find the Task Manager, since that's a Windows feature.  And unforunately, I don't know where to find that info on a Mac.

But I might be able to shed a little light on this issue.  Although it's a pretty big "might" lol.

Even though you're looking at CPU usage, the available RAM on the computer is probably more the issue.  This is a very general way of explaining (because I only understand it very generally) but after Inkscape has used up all your RAM with whatever you just asked Inkscape to do, the CPU tries to distribute the work through some other channels that is has available to use in what it sees as sort of a crisis.  And when it's done everything it can do to sort of spread out the work, there's nothing else left for it to do, and your computer has to freeze up while Inkscape, and your computer try to work out the problem.  And if the crisis keeps up, either Inkscape or your computer, or both will ultimately crash.

Do you know how much RAM you have?  These days, anything less that 2 gb RAM, you will start to run into problems when your SVG file size reaches just 1 or 2 mb.  That's just a very general observation I've made, of many topics and many answers, that I've both read and answered, over the last few years.  If RAM is indeed the issue, then undoubtedly, Inkscape is running so very slow, by the time your CPU maxes out.  Have you noticed any slowness?

What kind of computer do you have, in addition to how much RAM question?  There might be a setting you could change that will help with that.

If you have plenty of RAM, you may want to look towards security issues, such as malware, virus, etc.  Those things can grind a computer to a halt, in the blink of an eye!

But if RAM turns out to be the issue, there are ways that you can use Inkscape, to help alleviate the problem.  Here are some tips.

These things can increase the file size, and/or potentially create performance issues, and possibly CPU issues:
  • embedded images

• certain Filters or combinations of filters or number of filters -- note that Blur is a very simple filter, but using a lot of it can still cause problems

• certain Extensions or combinations of extensions or number of uses of extensions

• large quantity of Nodes

• a lot of gradients

• extreme zooming in combination with the above

• various combinations of the above

And here are some ways to avoid these problems:
  • Divide your file into layers, and maybe even sublayers. Then you can hide all the layers that you don't need at the moment. Since Inkscape doesn't need to display hidden layers, it frees up resources for whatever you're working on.

• If you're using an embedded image as a reference, either delete it from the file as soon as you no longer need it, or move it to another layer where you can hide it.

• Use View menu > Display Mode > No Filters. This has a similar effect that hiding layers has -- it frees up more RAM for whatever you're working on.

• If you have a huge number of nodes, you might not need them, depending on the circumstances. If not, you could try Path menu > Simplify, which potentially could drastically reduce the number of nodes. In certain situations though, it can distort the path, so just be ready to Undo, if the result is not acceptable.  Usually you can click Simplify once, without much or any obvious distortion.  But the 2nd time usually you see distortion.

• Use View menu > Display Mode > Outline, to prevent Inkscape from displaying gradients, which again, frees up some RAM.

• Avoid extreme zooming, and zoom only as much as you need. If I have to zoom, and I know it will take a long time, I've found that I can scroll over to an empty area of canvas, zoom to whatever level I need, then scroll back into the area where I need to work. It's faster than waiting, waiting, waiting, for Inkscape to reach a high zoom in a large file.  Although consequently, scrolling will probably become slow.  However, I've never had a crash while scrolling, and I have while zooming.  So this may only be marginally helpful.

Ok, so if you can answer my questions above, there may be more you can do.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit