• November 12, 2019, 05:54:04 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: GSD to SVG  (Read 6124 times)

Offline gmapatty

• Original Member
GSD to SVG
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »
I am trying to find a way to convert GSD files to SVG files. Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Windows 7, SCAL1 and Inkscape. I am new to all of this.

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
Re: GSD to SVG
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:10:58 PM »
Can you export or "print" the gsd file to a pdf?
If you can then Inkscape can import it, and you can then save it as an svg file.
I'll try a few experiments and let you know If I have any success.
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »
I've been experimenting, and trying to come up with a simple reliable way to turn a gsd file into an svg.
[ Please note that I dont use a microsoft O.S. or have a cutter, so no doubt I am limited by these two things.]
The few tutorials I could find on this subject, that are still available, directed the user to install the Robo master software from
graphtec, and then export the gsd image as a dxf file, using Robo master. Once you had a dxf file of your gsd, you could open it
in inkscape and save it as a plain svg file..no problem. But these instructions didnt work for me.

I was able to install robomaster, using wine, and for the most part it worked very well.
keyboard shortcuts, and print to pdf didnt work though...and I suspect this is because the windows emulation layer doesn't see
my "print-to-pdf" software. Not only that, but there were no export buttons, or save as *dxf options in the program interface.
Okay...well the tutorials were old, and I'd downloaded and installed the 2 latest versions of Robo master.
(ripped out the latest when it wouldnt do what I wanted, and installed the second latest version.)
To my surprise I also discovered that I could install and run Sillouhette studio.
but there again...there were no export options, and the program would only save to the cutters preferred proprietary file format, or gsd.
I havent given up on finding software that will open, correctly read and then convert the gsd format file, but in the meantime
I can only suggest the very crudest kind of work-around for converting a file or two.

crude, inexact In-a-crunch conversion method:

1. Install and open Robo master, or open your cutter software to open the gsd file that you want to change.
Use the best screenshot utility you have access to, and take a screenshot while zoomed in so that the image
pretty much fills your screen. ( my screenshot program is actually very good, and will give me beautiful, clear screenies. )

2. using your favorite photo editor, crop the screenshot so that only the desired image is visible, and save the new image.

3. Open Inkscape, Import the cropped screenshot of your gsd, and either path>bitmap trace, or hand trace it.
Using the auto bitmap tracing function can be a bit tricky, and takes a little practice, but you can use the paint bucket tool
to quickly fill in simple shapes, and create a vectorized version of them that way, or just hand trace with the pen tool.

4. Delete the imported screen shot, and save your new file as an svg. (inkscape svg or plain svg should both work just fine.)
adjust the size, and clean up any unwanted nodes if needed, and save again.

(My theory at this point, is that unless you only need to convert one or two files your going to have to spend some money,
and purchase software like make-the-cut, or Sure-cuts-alot.)
I will continue to experiment for a bit longer though, and inform you if I can come up with a better way to do this.

If more experienced forum users want to chime in, and give us the benefit of their expertise, that would be great.
Linux Mint 13,Cinnamon, I don\'t own a cutter, Inkscape 0.48.4r,The gimp, FontForge, blender 3d, LibreOffice

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »
I know that SCAL won't open GSD files, and I don't think that MTC does either.  I tried printing to PDF from Silhouette Studio and it only printed images, not the vectors.  You need to change the fill to black since only the fill seemed to export, not the stroke line.  It still might be a better choice than a screen shot, if it is higher dpi for the design.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline Inkspots

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »
Thanks for the input Heather
:)
If Scal and MTC both are unable to handle gsd files, that is a shame, because it totally blows my next experiment out of the water.
Too bad there isnt an Inkscape plugin that can properly open gsd files, that would make things so much easier.
I only came up  with the screenshot idea because my print to pdf wasnt working, though I believe a pdf would
give you a better image to trace.

Edit:
Bwuahahahahah!
Klic-N-kut studio will open the gsd file, and export it as an svg.