• August 21, 2018, 08:09:57 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Seeking New Forum Owner  (Read 11323 times)

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Seeking New Forum Owner
« on: November 24, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I shall try once more to find someone interested in taking over the running of the forum. The forum is fully paid until August 2015 but will close sooner if I can't find someone to take over. Is anyone interested? If not the forum will close at the end of February, 2015.

I just don't have the time nowadays to create new tutorials. The forum also needs updating, which I am not capable of doing. We are running version 3.0.08 but the latest version is 3.0.12. Security could become an issue without the update. A lot of posts need updating or correcting as information has changed since they were first added to the forum. I am finding it harder to find the time to keep going through posts to ensure the information is still relevant.

The forum has always been run by volunteers helping answer visitors questions. We seem to be getting less visitors and even less volunteers now more machines are entering the market with software that has more design features. Inkscape is a wonderful program but other cutting programs now seem to have the same features. Once more I would like to thank all our volunteers, this forum has helped so many beginners thanks to your assistance. Here's hoping someone sees this post and has the time to take over the running of the forum.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Seeking New Forum Owner
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
Can anyone tell me how I would send out a bulk email to all forum members to ensure everyone knows about the above post?

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
    • http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »
Hi Carolyn

Can't agree with you more, the latest cutting machines and software have made great advances in designing your own files which now include saving to the SVG format where the Cameo silhouette studio software is concerned. If no-one is interested in running the forum then maybe it would be best to close it, I'm still in employment so I haven't got the time to update the old silhouette and craft robo post regarding inkscape.

Inkscape is still a fun piece of FREE software that can be used for many aspects of design work.
http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftsuprint.com/default.cfm?designer=379

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)

Offline kimhill

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 02:03:00 AM »
Hi Carolyn
 Fully understand. My life is very hectic also. Wish I could help but like you, I just don't have the time. I really appreciate all you have done. It has been great to get all the tutorials and help that this forum has provided and I will be sad to see it close. However we all lead such busy lives and it must be a lot of work to keep the forum running. Thank you again for all you have done.
Cheers, Kim
Kim
Windows XP, Inkscape 0.47 with Sign Cut, Cougar

Offline raster

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:02:36 PM »
Would there be any value in hosting a static version of the site? As in, people could still read everything and search for answers, but not post new things. I'd hate to see a valuable site just disappear.

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »
Good idea raster. Could maybe look at hosting still relevant topics on a blogger site. It would depend on getting permission from each person who posted a tutorial. Thank you for the suggestion.

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
I think all of the different cutter/program combinations do make things hard.  I saw one of the recent questions posted before it had an answer, but I had no idea of the requirements for their cutter program so I didn't answer since I didn't want to give a wrong answer.  

I'm afraid that I'm in the no extra time category too.  I even had to cut back on the kids activities this year.  I can continue to be a moderator, but just can't commit to more time.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
Carolyn, what does being the "owner" entail for this site?  If the license is good until August why take it down in February?  There is still enough activity to keep it up until the renewal date I think and if all the "owner" has to do is watch and manage spam (which there is little of) I'd be willing to monitor it at least until the renewal.

What say you?
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 04:03:51 AM »
Hi Susan, I have been thinking over the last few days and I am reluctant to say goodbye to the forum. It can stay until the domain name expires.  

I am actually online a bit more often and designing again. Before when I said it would close at the end of February I rarely used the computer. I may even have a few new tutorials. I have learnt quite a bit over the last few weeks.

I thank you for offering and appreciate any help you can give. Hopefully we can make the most of the next few months.

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »
Aahhh....I'm getting to this thread a bit late, but glad to find the site still up, at least for now.  (I was just thinking of sending someone from InkscapeForum over here, to hopefully solve their problem, and I thought I'd better check and make sure it's still open.)

Setting aside the question of "a new admin until the next domain renewal", for a minute, I'm curious what will happen after that.  Are you hoping a new owner will take over (with the domain registration fees, and etc.) and keep the site open?  Or is that the definite closing date?

I started a new Inkscape website a couple of years ago (http://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php) (forum, gallery, tutorials) and should this one close, I would be happy to set up a "cutter/plotter" section there.  Although I personally would not be able to answer many questions (only the "all-Inkscape" problems).  We'd have to get some members (PapaSue already is  :D) who know a lot more about these machines than I do.  I already do have Inkscape and Other Apps board, and links to some of your blogs and tutorials.  And I'd be glad to host any content that the community wants to remain available, although I would not be able to update their contents.  There may be a way to import certain content directly, (even across the different software) although I'd have to do some research on that.

I'm not sure about the idea of taking over as owner, but I'll give it some thought.  I'd have to learn how to use this phpBB forum software.  I use SMF software for my site.  Although that's not such a big deal.  I guess my main hesitation would be the idea of owning a site where I can't really participate fully.  I might not be able to make the best decisions about some things, since I just don't have certain knowledge.  But since the need for this kind of support is dwindling (as the machine manufacturers catch up with better vector software) maybe that's not as important??

I could probably commit to either being a moderator, or co-admin with someone else, without being an owner.  Or if I could afford the domain registration, I might consider being an owner, if (and only if) someone else, who knows more about the cutting machine side of things would commit to being a co-admin.

Or maybe there are some other options we could discuss?  It would truly be a shame to lose this site and/or its contents, even though some is outdated.  (I do see messages from time to time (on IF) where someone has bought an older, used machine, and needs support).  So I'm definitely open to helping keep this forum, or at least the most important content available for Inkscape users, through whatever means can be arranged. :D
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »
Hi Brynn, I am busy for the rest of the day and will try to answer your post in detail this evening. It would be great if the forum information was available to those seeking help. I think if any relevant posts were moved to yours it would be the cheaper and easier solution. Web hosting does not expire until August, so there is some time to notify visitors of the new location.

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »
I'd rather not wait until the last minute to do this.  I'm still not even sure if it can be done.  I assume there is some way to transfer messages to a different type of forum software, but I don't really know.  And I'm also not sure what kind of content you have in mind that you would want to be retained.

So if you still want to transfer some content, we should probably start working on this now, assuming the dealine is either August 1st or some time in August.  Let me know  :D
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:01:01 AM »
I would like to have all the tutorials somewhere as I still find them very useful.
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
Hi Susan,
When you say "all the tutorials" do you mean the Beginner and Intermediate boards?  That's very helpful because now I can research how to import boards or topics from different types of forums.  I wasn't sure if there might be other parts of the website that I haven't found yet - like articles or a blog.

Would the tutorials be "cherry picked"?  Or would the whole boards go?  Would there be topics from other boards?  Oh, there's a 3rd tutorials board too -- Projects

What about the gallery?  Might be possible to import....

I'll start researching  :D

Edit
Well I might have already found what I need.  Which phpBB version is this?
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 12:25:21 PM »
Ok, well it's starting to look like this will be hard to do.  I could transfer the whole phpBB forum to an SMF forum, but apparently not just parts.  At least that's how it seems at the moment.  Still studying....

I've looked into transfering the inkscapecuttingdesign.com domain to my registrar.  As far as I can tell, it would be $11 transfer fee, but then I would get 1 free year, and after that $15 yearly (on top of my current domain fee).  My hosting fee is quite minimal, and not an issue.

But the bottom line is that I would not be comfortable as the sole admin.  I just feel like I don't know this "business" (the cutting machines part) well enough.  If someone wants to co-admin with me, and split the domain fee, I could do that.  Of course this other co-admin would probably have to learn the SMF software.  But I'm sure the skills transfer fairly easily....or i.e. not hard to learn.

Oh, well here's an idea that might work.  Let's say we convert the whole ICD forum to SMF and transfer to my server and registrar.  Then delete everything except the tutorials, or whatever you want to keep.  THAT would work.....right??!
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »
Ok, I think this should work.  I'm just reading up on how this process will work.  But in case it's not clear, the inkscapecuttingdesign.com domain will remain intact!  It's just it will be on my server instead of yours or your host's.

I don't see any reason why the transferred content can't retain its current copyright(s), if that's an issue.

So now, just waiting to hear from Carolyn, and if she still wants to do this  :D

Edit
Just found that at the end of this long process, where I end up with 2 domains with 2 SMF forums, there might be a way to merge them into 1.  But it looks like this will be a long, step by step process, and I'll certainly take them 1 at a time.  May or may not get that far.

If we don't get this going though, and the domain expires in August, maybe even August 1st, for all I know, anyone who wants to save their own local copies of anything should probably do it, asap.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 05:54:39 AM »
Just for a quick update.  We've heard from Carolyn and it looks like we'll be able to do this.  Will try to send out a batch PM to inform everyone, but at the moment, it's not clear if that's possible (should be, but I'm not familiar with this type of forum).
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 03:32:00 AM »
Yes, I found a way to do that Carolyn.  Only it's not a batch PM, it's a mass email. Go to System tab, and look under General Task for "Mass email".  I'll probably do that when we get ready for the switch, just to let folks know what to expect (there will probably be a few hours down time, and maybe up to a few days, in the worst case).  But you mentioned that somewhere in this topic.  So send mass email or post a message, whatever you want to do.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline Barbara

• Original Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 06:07:24 PM »
I would hate to lose all the information here. I don't come on often but it is my go to when I am having trouble doing something in Inkscape (which is my main program and what I cut from) I am too old to get involved as my mojo isn't often there. I have to thank Caroline for all she has done. She is so clever and easy to follow in her Tutorials.
Barbara