• August 21, 2018, 08:10:14 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Struggling with Union  (Read 2166 times)

Offline GoGayleGo

• Original Member
Struggling with Union
« on: April 03, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »
Ugh.  I'm trying to create flowers to cut.  I'm using the radial clone tool, and am not able to use union successfully afterwards.  Here's my progression.

Leaf and circle:

Parts.JPG
*Parts.JPG
(12.07 kB . 327x337)
(viewed 326 times)

Post-union (this works as expected):

Post-union.JPG
*Post-union.JPG
(14.2 kB . 250x458)
(viewed 328 times)

Same exact leaf, with radial cloning:

Radial clone.JPG
*Radial clone.JPG
(40.3 kB . 683x641)
(viewed 362 times)

If I move the rotation point down enough that the petals don't overlap, I end up with a "hole" in the middle.  I was trying to fill that in by using a union with a circle.  But post-union (same leaf used for radial cloning and same circle) looks just like pre-union (e.g. no union is happening).

Post-union2.JPG
*Post-union2.JPG
(42.56 kB . 703x643)
(viewed 379 times)

What am I missing here?  I've done this over and over, with the same non-results.  Is there a better way to fill the center?  What am I not understanding about the Union command?

Thanks in advance (and I sure hope this forum continues on, I'm not here often but it's nice to know there's help when I need it),
Gayle
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:45:36 AM by brynn »
Windows 8.1, Inkscape 0.91, Photoshop CS6, Pazzles Inspiration with Studio Pro 2014

Offline GoGayleGo

• Original Member
Re: Struggling with Union
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »
I should add that I am able to take two leaves and make a union of them.  I can then duplicate that, rotate it 90 degrees, and create a union of those objects (now have four leaves), then do it again until I have eight.

So I guess I'm asking if there is some issue with being able to perform a union on clones.

And I'll take any suggestions on the best way to make flowers (for cutting) out of leaves/petals, instead of starting with a star shape.

Thanks!
Gayle
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Windows 8.1, Inkscape 0.91, Photoshop CS6, Pazzles Inspiration with Studio Pro 2014

Offline GoGayleGo

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 03:42:59 PM »
I have solved my own problem, thanks to one of Carolyn's tutorials ("Tiled Clones with Rotate", found here:   http://http://www.cuttwopieces.com/2010/05/tiled-clones-with-rotate.html .  I was not understanding that the original leaf/petal was still present after cloning, and that the clones were linked to it.  Once I deleted the original (thereby unlinking the clones), everything worked like a charm!  Just wanted to post, in case this is helpful for someone else.  And thank you Carolyn, for posting that tutorial.

Gayle

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 07:58:26 PM »
Hi Gayle, great to hear you have already worked out how to do it. Thank you for the feedback regarding the tutorial. Always good to hear any tutorial was useful.