• May 25, 2018, 08:05:39 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Quantifiying and Relations  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Gizmo

Quantifiying and Relations
« on: November 27, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
Hi.

New to inkscape, and I'm having some trouble adjusting. I am familiar with solidworks and autocad style modeling, and it doesnt translate well into inkscape. What I am trying to do it create patterns for laser cutting. Bracelets, keychains, simple shapes with holes and slots and whatnot. My problem is im having a hard time giving the "features" relationships. As in, I want this hole to be this size, this far away from this edge and this far from that edge. I've tried the snap features, to no avail. Also, I have tried opening dxf files, and that works, but messes up the proportions. In autocad I'll have an 8" rectangle with radius'd corners, and when i open it in inkscape it will be 6 inches long. Stumped here. I ask the Guru's for their guidance.

Any insight would be hot.

Thanks

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Quantifiying and Relations
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:11:58 PM »
Welcome to Inkscape for Cutting Design!

Yes, I've heard from other CAD/AutoCAD users that the transition to Inkscape can be frustrating.  They work in very different ways.  Unfortunately, since I haven't ever used CAD, I can't make any helpful comparisons.  But I can help from the Inkscape side.  (There have been many, many requests for Inkscape to have more CAD-like features.  I guess we're just waiting for an interested developer to step up.)

Can you tell us specifically what went wrong with Snapping?  Were you snapping to a grid or guides?  Or did the snap not happen, or happen wrong?  Can you explain your experience in more detail?  Once we get that ironed out, and understand specifically what you're doing, we can tell you how to set it up.

Snapping may be the easiest solution.  And I'm quite sure we can get it working as you need it.  It's a surprisingly complex feature, and for most people, there's a bit of a learning curve.

But there are other ways to place objects at specific distances or coordinates.  On the Selection tool control bar, you can use the X and Y fields to place an object at specific coordinates.  For some objects you can use the W and H fields to make objects a specific size/dimensions.  W and H don't work for scaling all objects, but some simple objects, it works well.

So I guess instead of thinking in terms of the distance between objects, you have to think of where the objects will lie on the canvas.

Grids and guides can be really helpful with snapping.

Object menu > Align and Distribute might be helpful.  It can do all kinds of alignment and distribution of objects (like the holes you described).  But it's only relative to each other (objects) -- it doesn't set them at certain distances.  For example, it can align the right edge of all selected objects, like in a column.  Or make the distance between them equal, or the distance between their centers equal.  But then you'd have to move them to the specific X values that you want; perhaps snapping to a guide or grid which is placed at that X value.

For the DXF file with an 8" rectangle, that opens in Inkscape as a 6" rectangle, are you saying that when you select the rectangle in Inkscape, the Selection tool control bar shows it as 6"?  Or do you mean it looks like it's only 6" on the screen?  There's a good chance the native resolution of whatever program you created the rectangle with, is different from Inkscape.  Or possibly could you not have Inkscape set for inches?
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit