• August 16, 2018, 08:19:07 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Newbie here, hello all, question regarding imported clip art  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Deano

Newbie here, hello all, question regarding imported clip art
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »
First I would like to say hello to all and thank you for having this forum..
Question: I am using Inkscape with Signcut/CR630 Plotter with heat transfer material..I am combining basic (impact text) with a imported clip art of a soccerball...The issue I am having is that there are 3 separate squares in the picture of the soccerball besides the lines to cut out of the soccerball..Not sure how to rid the pic of these squares in order to just cut shapes of the ball and the octagon shapes that make up a soccer ball. Any help would be apprciated..Thanx Deano

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Newbie here, hello all, question regarding imported clip art
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:55:32 PM »
Welcome Deano!

It would be hard for us to suggest how to handle the 3 squares without seeing the image.  You can either insert it into a message, if you already have it hosted somewhere on the internet.  Or give us the link to it.  Or you can host here by attaching it to a message.

But first, is it a vector or raster ("bitmap") image.  If the last 3 letters after the dot are SVG or EPS  or CDR or AI or some others, it's a vector file.  If it's JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, or some others, it's a raster file.  However, some kinds of files can contain both raster and vector objects -- like PDF or SVG.  So it would be better if you can attach it here.

If it's a raster file, you won't be able to edit with Inkscape, at least not right away.  Inkscape can only edit vector objects.  Usually something called "clip art" comes in a raster file.  But if it is, there are ways to convert it to vector.  Once converted to vector, it should be a relatively simple matter to just select the squares and delete.  But again, it's hard to say for sure, until we can see, or at least have more info, about the file.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Newbie here, hello all, question regarding imported clip art
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:24:44 AM »
Hi Deano,
I've received your message with the photo attached.  I do see the squares that you want to remove.  But I need more info before I can explain how to remove them.

What I need is the SVG file (the file you make with Inkscape).  You can attach it right to your next message.  Here's how:

• Just below this message, click Reply button (not Quick Reply).
  • After you type your message click on "Attachments and other options" button, which is between the place where you type your message, and the Post button.
  • Then you will see some check boxes and a "Browse" button.   Click the Browse button.  That will open the file manager on your computer.  (Probably Windows Explorer, and you'll probably recognize it.)
  • Find the SVG file.
  • Click Open.  Your file manager will close, and you will be back in the forum's message editor.
  • Click Post button, to post your message.

Here's a tutorial that might be helpful in the future:  How to Make a Screenshot and Put it in a Message
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit