• January 22, 2019, 02:21:21 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Save As DXF \ Open in SS V3 - objects not grouped as one unit  (Read 5306 times)

Offline sewmorebag

• Sr. Newbie
Newbie here using Inkscape to create cut files in Silhouette Studio V3 (with designer & professional editions).  Not having too much problem with SVGs, EPS, and PDF versions opening in SS V3.  In the event I ever sell cut files, I want to be able to provide DXF options too and want to make sure they are correctly converted and of the highest qualify for usage.   

I brought in a black and white version, doctored in windows paint, and then traced in Inkscape (current version).
I used path--> object to path
then saved as plain SVG, and also saved as DXF (robo option in the DXF settings).
The other file types open as one selected object.

When I open the DXF versions in SS V3, my  paw pads are not grouped with the paw outline (see pic after I dragged the group upwards to desired location on the cut mat). 
Just for the sake of troubleshooing, in SS V3 I tried to group with the compound paths, but they are still separate.  However, it is still my preference to have DXF versions saved in Inkscape and opened in SS V3 of the same quality as the SVG's.

Maybe this is acceptable and expected with anyone opening a DXF file? 
I'm trying to use Inkscape with Silhouette after too many problems tracing and savingin Adobe Illustrator CS6 (which I do not know very well either). 

I've tried also played with the union, combine options under the Inscape Path menu. 

Also attached is the SVG that is ok, it will not allow me to post the DXF version. 

TIA, Beth

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Save As DXF \ Open in SS V3 - objects not grouped as one unit
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:56:29 PM »
Just for the sake of troubleshooing, in SS V3 I tried to group with the compound paths, but they are still separate.  However, it is still my preference to have DXF versions saved in Inkscape and opened in SS V3 of the same quality as the SVG's.

Maybe this is acceptable and expected with anyone opening a DXF file?

I can't imagine that's acceptable or expected.  You said you tried "to group with the compound path", which is kind of mixing 2 different techniques.  What should work best is to select the 3 pads, and maybe the foot outline too, and do Path menu > Combine.

Object menu > Group is a different thing.  It might work as well, but you should use either one or the other.  There's no additional benefit to grouping a combined path.

Just to make sure I'm clear -- the pad is only out of place after you save as DXF.  Right?

Edit
Hhmm, well it already is combined in the SVG you provided.  Did you convert to DXF directly from the SVG?  I don't have my system set up to open DXF files.  So it won't help for me to use your SVG file to test the conversion.  Maybe someone else will have an idea....
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline sewmorebag

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »
Hi Brynn, thank you for responding to my inquiry. 

Once I have my SVG saved (with the "plain" SVG option), I re-save it in the DXF format .
When I open the DXF in Silhouette Studio V3, I need to drag it to the cutting position on the layout of the mat.  However, the pads are not combined with the rest of the paw.  So, moving it makes the pad out of place.  But the real problem to fix is to have everything combined when I open the DXF in SS V3. 

I do not have a problem with the SVG, EPS, or PDF formats of the file.  All of the parts are combined and move with the other parts when I move it in order to position on the cutting mat.  I'm assuming that there's something wrong with my file in Inkscape causing the parts to not be combined in DXF.  Or is it normal for a dxf format to not be combined once you bring it into your cutting software?  If this is not typical behavior, I'd like to get it fixed in Inkscape. 

It was only recently I discovered, after upgrading SS to Designer & Professions, that according to the license agreement, anything you save in SS format can't be sold.  So that's why I tried to first use Adobe Illustrator CS6, but I had more issues with tracing than I had experimenting with Inkscape's tracing to create vectors.  Yeah, I know, its like jack of all trades master of none lol.  Or, so much fun software, so little time. 

Blessings, Beth

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
I don't know why that might be happening, and I haven't heard of it either.  Could you attach the SVG file, or at least a sample one, that shows this problem when it's converted to DXF?  Or maybe rather than attaching, you could upload it somewhere.  Then I'll ask on the mailing list if some experts can look at it.

Or does the SVG file that you already provided show the problem when converted to DXF?

It's possible there's a bug.  Or maybe there is something about the SVG file.  Since I'm not very familiar with DXF, I can't be much help.  But we can get the problem in front of people who can.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »
There are settings in Silh Studio under Preferences>Import that can change the way DXFs come in, so that's one thing you want to look at.
Another thing to check out are alternate extensions for exporting DXFs. I'm not sure what the latest/best is for working with Silhouette but I recall one of them being called "Better Better DXF" so that will give you a point to start Googling.
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com