• October 19, 2018, 02:50:05 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: uploading svg files to cricut design space  (Read 5877 times)

Offline libcw

uploading svg files to cricut design space
« on: June 24, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »
Hello, I'm a newbie and so glad for this forum!
Since downloading Inkscape I am having difficulty uploading svg files that I have downloaded to my computer into a cutting program - Cricut Design space. Also, I noticed that Inkscape is automatically recognizing the files I have downloaded and taking the svg files that are multi layer and separating the layers into separate files. I am using Windows 7 and the Inkscape I recently downloaded I .91. I would like to be able to change the settings in Inkscape so that it lies dormant until I actually open a file in it to work with. Here is a pic of a file of something I recently downloaded that has multilayers.
Thank you for any help that you offer!

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: uploading svg files to cricut design space
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »
 :w1:

Hhmm, I've never heard of Inkscape doing that.  In fact, I would say Inkscape is not even capable of that.  (Actually, there have been a lot of feature requests, for Inkscape to be able to separate layers into separate files.  I think there might be an extension that will do it. But it's not natively possible yet.) 

So, Inkscape doesn't know what you've downloaded.  Inkscape only knows what file you specifically ask it to open, either by using the File menu (Open, or Open Recent); or if you've set Inkscape to be your native program for handling SVG files, you can double-click on a file and Inkscape will open it.  But Inkscape can only open 1 file at a time, and it has no idea what you might have downloaded.  There's just no connection there.

But we can still try to help  :)  Could you please tell us your workflow, starting with downloading a file from the internet.  You're on Windows, so you're probably using Windows Explorer for a file manager, right?  So you choose the folder where you want to download the file, and download it.  Or else, when you download a file, where do you put it? 

Then what's the next thing that you do, when you're ready to start working?

Or, maybe someone who uses a Cricut will recognize the problem, by your description.  I know it seems kind of strange, but I don't have any kind of cutter myself.  But I know Inkscape pretty well.

( :fyi:  Instead of taking a photograph of your computer screen, here are some instructions for making a screenshot:  http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=6  Well, at least the image you attached looks like a photo!  My apology if it's not.)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
Re: uploading svg files to cricut design space
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 08:47:45 AM »
I'm with Brynn, I don't think Inkscape changed the file. It likely came that way to begin with. As far as opening SVGs, that would be due to your file association. Either associate SVGs with another program (like your browser) or just don't double click them unless you want to open them in Inkscape. You can't open files into Design Space by double clicking anyway. I don't know the steps to change file association in Windows but you could Google it.
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com