• August 16, 2018, 08:18:34 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: using trace bitmap option  (Read 5853 times)

Offline hardworkingmom

• Sr. Newbie
using trace bitmap option
« on: July 29, 2016, 01:14:28 AM »
Hi there can anyone help me?

I am trying to trace a bitmap. I would like to end up with a single path that I can use to cut out the image, but keep ending up with a double path.  original image.png
*original image.png
(179.6 kB . 1185x1294)
(viewed 404 times)
*after auto trace.svg
(42.19 kB - downloaded 94 times)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: using trace bitmap option
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 01:08:40 AM »
Welcome!

Yes, that's how Trace Bitmap works.  It will not produce a single line for cutting.

I'm an Inkscape user, and know Inkscape pretty well.  But I don't know much more than the basic concepts for cutting.  So possibly some of our other members who are very familiar with this, and have done it before, can give you some shortcuts.

The best suggestion I could make would be to use the Pen/Bezier tool, and trace it "manually".  It's not very hard to do, and I wrote a tutorial a little while ago, that would at least get you started.  But first, I want to understand a little more what you want for a result.

Do you want only the outline?  I assume you probably want the face features, but maybe not?  What about those lines inside the mane and the tail?  Do you want those?  I'm not sure how those lines can be used for cutting, unless  you want to have sort of puzzle pieces, that you're going to piece together later.  And what about the loops in the mane and tail?  And the balloons?  Can you tell us a little more about your project?

Well, just so you can start learning, until someone else can answer, here's a link to that tutorial:  http://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=45

Please feel free to ask questions  :)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline hardworkingmom

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 03:13:48 AM »
I am designing sand art pictures so yes sort of a puzzle thing. I do know how to trace by hand, but just trying to save time and effort

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
Hhmm....well there might be a way to use Trace Bitmap.  It would avoid tracing it out by hand, but it would still take about the same amount of time, I would guess.

Using Brightness Cutoff option, with the default value, click OK to do the trace.  The result is right on top of the original, so it would probably be helpful to move it off to the side (or even delete the PNG).

1 -- select the result
2 -- hold Shift while you click some color on the palette  (adds a stroke to the new paths)
3 -- remove the fill (the tiny X box at the far left side of the palette)

Now you can see all the sections you need, but you'll need to do a lot of node editing, to have individual closed paths.  First, do Path menu > Break Apart.  That will make each section a closed path.  If you're not using version 0.91, that will probably turn everything black, but you can once again, remove the fills, and see the paths again.

You could almost delete the outer path, and just slide all the pieces together.  That won't be a perfect solution, because the bold black drawing had variable width borders (thicker in some places and thinner in others).  So the pieces won't fit perfectly together, but they would be pretty close.

However the "almost" part is in the face of the pony.  For the left eye (the pony's right eye) that small portion of the outer path is needed to form the eye.  And to also close the left eyelashes.

Do you already know how to do node editing?  I can explain, if you want to try it.  Actually, for this image, there would be a surprisingly small amount -- just in the face area.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline hardworkingmom

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:21:43 AM »
Yes I do know how to node edit.

Thank you for the advise and explanation will try it
Regards

Offline Laurianne

• Original Member
    • Eye Draw It, Red Cabin Studio
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
Hi Hardworking mom,

I don't know if you found a solution to your tracing, but here is what I would do. Do a Trace Bitmap, setting the Threshold at about .99 and then under Multiple Scans, select Grays and set the number to 14. Now Object > Ungroup. Delete the white background and then drag around the image to select all the remaining parts. Now Path > Union. Path > Break Apart. Path > Union. I hope that helps!

Offline Laurianne

• Original Member
    • Eye Draw It, Red Cabin Studio
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:34:27 PM »
Here's a link to another tutorial on my blog. http://www.eyedrawit.com/creating-single-path-around-image/

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 08:41:42 AM »
It sounds like maybe what you are looking for is Center Line Trace. There is a Center Line trace extension available for Inkscape now but it does not work with all OSs. There are online tools you can use for this. Here's a tutorial on one of them.
http://cleversomeday.com/rrcenterline/
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com