• January 22, 2019, 02:17:15 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Creating Precise Lines for Pattern making?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Lacedgatito

Creating Precise Lines for Pattern making?
« on: August 11, 2016, 08:57:14 AM »
Hiya, I'm new here. I've just switched over from Adobe Illustrator recently. I was using it to draft clothing patterns, and it worked really well, but was just too expensive.

I've been trying to find a way to create very accurate, precise paths, but can't find anything. In Ai, there was a command box that would let you click to start a path, then you could type in the angle and length of the path you wanted. Clicking and dragging isn't getting precise lines for me at all - I'm drafting corsets so everything has to be precise down to the millimeter. Is there a similar command box in Inkscape I'm missing? I'm on a Mac, with the most recent version of Inkscape as of 08/08/2016.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been answered already :x

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Creating Precise Lines for Pattern making?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:00:37 PM »
That kind of feature is typical of CAD programs.  There have been countless requests for more CAD-like features in Inkscape.  But so far, it hasn't happened.  I assume there must be some free or maybe even open source CAD program out there, but I'm not familiar with them.

Inkscape does have plenty of tools that you can use, but it will take some learning and maybe practice, before you can work out a good workflow.  You'll probably want to learn about guides and snapping.  Actually, this whole section of the manual will be helpful:  http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Position.html  It includes the Align And Distribute dialog, as well as the Transform dialog.

There is no way to tell Inkscape how to draw a path.  For the most part, you have to draw it first, and then do the editing to make it precisely how you want it.  However, as you learn how to use the tools I referenced, it will become easier.

If you could give us specific examples, we can discuss the different ways to do it.

Oh wait!  I think there's an extension that you might be able to use.  Try this one:  https://github.com/kirchner/patterns  Do you need instructions for installing an extension? 

I'd be interested to hear how well that works, if you decide to try it  :)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit