• August 16, 2018, 08:17:57 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What does a green box around an image mean?  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Adele

What does a green box around an image mean?
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:00:23 PM »
I am using some clip art that I traced in Inkscape. Most of them look fine after pasting onto the Inkscape screen, but some have green boxes around them in the outline view. The box is not visible in the normal view. Some of the images were clipped from sheets of images, if that makes a difference. Does this green box mean something? Thanks.

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: What does a green box around an image mean?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »
 :w1:

I don't know what that might mean.  While I look after this forum, and know Inkscape pretty well, I don't actually use any kind of cutter machines.  And I rarely use outline mode.

Would you be able to attach (or otherwise share) one of the images which shows the green line and one which doesn't?  I mean the SVG files.  Then I could investigate.

Unless someone else who knows the answer, comes along first  :)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 06:07:35 AM »
Ok, I just tried tracing a random PNG.  If the PNG that I imported is still in the file when I switch to Outline mode, there's a red rectangle with an X from corner to corner, to indicate where the PNG is in on the canvas (although of course you can't see it in Outline Mode).

But I really will need an example to investigate more.  Unless again, someone else already posts the answer.  Now I'm curious  :-)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 06:12:26 PM »
The green box means that it is a clipped image.  Whole embedded images are blue, clipped ones are green.  I believe that linked images are red with an x,  but my default is to embed images, so that's from memory which isn't what it used to be.   :D
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »
You mean the raster image was clipped?  I don't remember how I imported my test.  I'll try again....  Ok no, in my test, the image is embedded, and shows the red outline with X.

I'll clip it and test again  :)

Oooohhh ok.  The gree line is the clipping path.  So no matter what you clipped, whether it was the imported raster, or something else in the file, when you switch to Outline Mode, the clipping path is shown as green.

I just tested linking instead of embedding, and no matter whether I link or embed, the imported raster has a red outline with X from corner to corner.  At least that's how it's working with version 0.91 on Windows 7.   I tested a bunch of different import options, but the imported image is always a red outline with X (when in Outline mode).  So I'm not sure what makes a blue outline.

Hhmm, I was just checking Inkscape Preferences, to find out if it's possible to change the color of the outlines.  I didn't find anything about that yet, but I did find an option to show the imported image while in outline mode.  That would allow you to trace the image without leaving outline mode!
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »
I'm still using .46, because I'm not risking losing my export plug-in to send my files to my cutting program.  I guess they've changed some things since then.   :lol:
Heather

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 07:30:18 AM »
Hhmm, which plugin is that?  I can check and see if it's still available.

I don't know of any which have been either removed or changed in a way that people can't use them anymore.

ORRrr, you could always install a new version of Inkscape, without uninstalling the older version.  Yeah, just make a new folder for it, right below the 0.46 version!  That way, if the extension is missing or changed in the new version, you can always still use your older version to export.  That way, you could use some of the many awesome new features, since 0.46 -- and there are some really awesome ones too!!

Omgoodness -- so you haven't seen the LPEs at all?!  Live Path Effects - they're amazing!  Especially the one for pattern along path, I would guess is the most used one, and probably the one that cutter people use the most.  And even more are coming in 0.92, which will be pretty soon (a few months, I guess).
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »
The plug-in is from the eCAL software designer.  PapaSue said at one point that her plug-in didn't work after an update, but I don't remember which one.  I'm not designing much new right now, mostly doing Print to Cut for coloring with my markers so design features aren't as important to me as ease of getting my Inkscape files into my cutting program.  I love being able to send my files directly from Inkscape to my cutting program without going through the save/import steps. 
Heather

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »
Oh, I see.  So you think the eCAL plugin might not work with current versions of Inkscape?  If you can confirm that it doesn't, it might not be a bad idea to report it to those developers.  Maybe they could put out an update?

Well anyway, I'm always trying to troubleshoot.  If it was just a single report of a problem, it might not be a bad idea to try and confirm it.  Not only are there new features in Inkscape since 0.46, like LPEs, there are loads of new extensions, not to mention bug fixes, etc. 

But anyway, let me know if I can help  :)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit